Neptune Aquatics

I'm making a DIY Phosban Reactor

OK, I stole the idea from another reef board...someone took an old gatorade bottle and basically made a fluidized media filter like this commercial version;

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchSt~magnavore%20simplicity%20chemical%20reactor~action~view~idProduct~MN4111.html

Anyway, after the "BPA is poison" stuff, a coworker abandoned his polycarbonate 1 litre drink bottle. I took it, drilled a hole in the lid, scavanged some PVC pipe and fittings from one of my many many many DIY projects of the past, then drilled a bunch of holes in the lid around the main centre hole and Voila! A ruined drink bottle!

I'm waiting for some glue to dry at the moment but tomorrow I will show the results of my efforts.

Currently I have GFO in a filter bag just sitting in the sump. I'm not sure it's very effective, so I started to look at phosban reactors, but can't get myself to buy something that I could build, even though it is totally ghetto after I've built it. So I hunted for "DIY FLuidized Bed" and found that guys gatorade bottle thing.

Anyway, I'll post pics if it turns out not to suck.

V

The gatorade bottle type work fine. I used to have 2 running in my sump a few years ago. But yeah...they were uglier beyond belief...at least mine were ;)

Deep within a tank thread; here it is. If I was to make another, I'd cut down on the endcaps some more.

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=3158.msg36488#msg36488 date=1204791548]
Reactor. From concept.
fluid_reactor.jpg

to reality
fluid_reactor01.jpg

fluid_reactor02.jpg

fluid_reactor03.jpg

fluid_reactor04.jpg

ended up at 5.25" tall with one compartment instead of two due to the max height limitations.
[/quote]

It was mcmaster as per suggested by both Tony and Gresh.

Per Tony's reply, here's the info.

Part Number: 9318T16
$9.51 per Ft.
Material Type Plastic
Plastic Type Nylon
Form Woven Thermoplastic Mesh
Shape Sheets
Mesh Size Range Medium Mesh
Mesh Size 58 x 58
Square/Rectangle Size .0098"
Percentage of Open Area 34
Thread Diameter .0071"
Sheet Width 40"
Sheet Length Cut-to-Length
Maximum Continuous Length 150 Linear Feet
Color White
Maximum Temperature 239° F

Ed, the micron filter info is above. If you're looking for the thicker grating stuff that I used in addition to the micron filter, I'll have to get back to you. I got that from a buddy of mine.

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=6406.msg82293#msg82293 date=1234984559]
It was mcmaster as per suggested by both Tony and Gresh.

Per Tony's reply, here's the info.

Part Number: 9318T16
$9.51 per Ft.
Material Type Plastic
Plastic Type Nylon
Form Woven Thermoplastic Mesh
Shape Sheets
Mesh Size Range Medium Mesh
Mesh Size 58 x 58
Square/Rectangle Size .0098"
Percentage of Open Area 34
Thread Diameter .0071"
Sheet Width 40"
Sheet Length Cut-to-Length
Maximum Continuous Length 150 Linear Feet
Color White
Maximum Temperature 239° F

Ed, the micron filter info is above. If you're looking for the thicker grating stuff that I used in addition to the micron filter, I'll have to get back to you. I got that from a buddy of mine.
[/quote]

www.smallparts.com is another good source if you only need small sections (like for this project)

OK, some pictures

What are you looking at? The drink bottle had a 3/4" (slightly larger actually) hole drilled into it. I took a short piece of 1/2" PVC and friction-fit a slip-male connector on it, then put a female-hosebarb on that. Then it's 5/8" tubing going to a ball valve, then more tubing to a small Rio powerhead.
I drilled a bunch of little holes on the top for output and stuffed some filter floss under the cap (for when the GFO or Carbon grinds itself into dust). The PVC fits snuggly into the hole and the slip-male fitting site flush on top. I used "Plumber's Goop" to glue the pipe/fitting onto the top, it sits squarely and doesn't wiggle in the bottle.

DIYFluidizedBedFilter

Here's the top where I drilled the holes

DIYFluidizedBedFilter

So I tested it with about 1/3 full of GFO (Acutlaly the GFO was in a filter bag sitting in my sump for a few weeks, I'm re-using it, but will put fresh GFO in it in a week or two) it "fluidizes" the GFO nicely (The valve is full open as the little RIO is really wimpy) though I expected it to rise up in the bottle more. My kalk reactor, when I turn on the pump mixes the kalk powder all the way to the top of the 4 foot reactor! But when I look at the GFO, it is definitely moving. I'm sure with carbon in the "filter" it will dance around more lively.

Anyway, nice and cheap and I hope that using the GFO more efficiently than simply sitting in my sump will help with the hair algae!

V

bah, where are my pictures!?

http://picasaweb.google.com/Vincerama2/DIYFluidizedBedFilter?authkey=ZY_1lw0OFzA#5304583929117020658

http://picasaweb.google.com/Vincerama2/DIYFluidizedBedFilter?authkey=ZY_1lw0OFzA#5304583940650847938

Thanks! But again I stole the main idea off some guy who made a gatorade bottle version of it!
It was only worth doing because I had the stuff lying around.

V

Here's a link to the original guys thread
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77999&st=0

Hey, gotta give credit where it's due!

I just used a slightly sturdier bottle.

V

Here are my DIY Kalk reactor.

DSC_0946-1.jpg

my Media reactor. Still in progress..
DSC_0948.jpg

and my ETS 800.. made it a few years back when ETS was the hype..
DSC_0947-1.jpg

I use to make all my stuff. but now days, it became easier to just buy it.. it takes too much time and money to make one.

Yeah, I hear you! I have acrylic in the shed waiting to be converted into a CA reactor...then I bought a used one from a fellow reefer (Bonnie). Much easier, but not as much fun/satisfaction.

V

Fun and satisfaction if it works the way you designed it. Lots of frustration if it doesnt. I went through several versions with my skimmer. Then when i was satisfied, I ended up buying one. :) But, it was fun making it.

Back