Reef nutrition

In the beginning...

Here's the FTS.
IMG_4223.JPG

I did it from the side to reduce the glare. I feel like it's so bare right now.

How would that be confirmed? It would be nice to know what it is.

Sort of the same way all corals get named. A little bit of remembering, a little bit of lineage, and a whole lot of "I think it's..." ;)

Easy way is to get a frag of tricolor valida from someone who knows for sure and see how they compare.

So I'm contemplating running my skimmer less than 24/7 to conserve energy. Between it and the chaeto, the nutrients are lower than I've ever had. I'm seeking guidance on the reasoning of different ways to do it.

Option 1) run it 12 hours on and 12 hours off. This would be the easiest to program but I'm a little worried that I'll have too much of a swing in regards to gas exchange.

Option 2) run it 4 hours on and 4 hours off. I think I'm leaning towards this option.

Option 3) running it on/off every hour. Is this going to be too hard on the motor? This should have the least effect to gas exchange.

Option 4) some other variation other than equal on/off sequence.

What do you guys think? I remember @Enderturtle started doing this but I don't remember he came back with any results.

Looking good! Lots of nice caves for inverts. It will be filled up sooner than you might expect. Ever figure out what might have happened to the snails and urchin?

So I'm contemplating running my skimmer less than 24/7 to conserve energy. Between it and the chaeto, the nutrients are lower than I've ever had. I'm seeking guidance on the reasoning of different ways to do it.

Option 1) run it 12 hours on and 12 hours off. This would be the easiest to program but I'm a little worried that I'll have too much of a swing in regards to gas exchange.

Option 2) run it 4 hours on and 4 hours off. I think I'm leaning towards this option.

Option 3) running it on/off every hour. Is this going to be too hard on the motor? This should have the least effect to gas exchange.

What do you guys think? I remember @Enderturtle started doing this but I don't remember he came back with any results.
Pretty sure it leads to quitting the hobby and the club is what he found...jk

I have tried turning my skimmer off at night and found no change in tank. Ive even gone as far as a full day with no change. I currently run it 24/7 and those days of shutting it off and on were just trials of what would happen. This was over a month so not sure what 6 months would look like

Since foam head is ruined when you feed maybe turn it off around then for a little while and back on after 30 min or so? Not sure if you have feeding automated or not?

I tried 12/12 at one point. PH did drop a bit, so I stopped.
Every hour might be an issue with the motor, plus it takes time to develop foam head.

I only use 28 watts on my bubble king for my 210. I don't think my energy consumption is from there skimmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have my lights plugged into the apex so I'm not sure how much they are drawing but the skimmer draws 70 watts, heaters are both 200w, sump light is 116w, and return is 57w. @scuzy, is your BK skimmer pump DC?

I guess I'm really not that concerned about my electric bill but just trying to make things more efficient. If I can still get the performance I need from it by only running it 1/2 as much then why not do it?

I don't have my lights plugged into the apex so I'm not sure how much they are drawing but the skimmer draws 70 watts, heaters are both 200w, sump light is 116w, and return is 57w. @scuzy, is your BK skimmer pump DC?

I guess I'm really not that concerned about my electric bill but just trying to make things more efficient. If I can still get the performance I need from it by only running it 1/2 as much then why not do it?
Because if ain't broke then don't fix it.
Seriously though, experimentation is good, just think it's not something I want to risk in my tank. Not like I expect it's gonna crash or anything, I'm just trying to keep things stable as much as I can

I took the skimmer apart and cleaned it. It ended up being pretty clean and didn't really need it but I'd never done it before so it was worth it to see how it all comes apart. It's still running at 71w. I remember it being less but not by much, maybe 50w. It is used so maybe the pump is on its way out. Maybe I should get one of the red dragon DC pumps to have on standby. They're just so darn expensive.

For some more exciting news, I've got 3 purple firefish and 3 lyretail anthias in TTM right now. Usually I only feed on the last day (3rd) before transferring but I know the anthias like to eat several times a day. Should I try to feed them more often than every 3 days?

Back