Reef nutrition

Introducing DBTC Tracking

Today we're rolling out a shiny new DBTC tracking system. I just wanted to let everyone know what it is, how it works, and how you can use it.

As before, DBTC chains are threads in a forum. At the top of each chain's thread, however, there is now a table that shows all the frags in the program for that chain. Buttons below the table allow you do things like creating new frags and editing existing ones.

To create a new chain, just go to the DBTC forum and click "Post new chain." You can then fill out the form and create the chain just as you would with any thread. Use the thread to pick someone to receive your frags and coordinate with them as you would have in the past.

After you've given or received a frag, go back to the thread and click "Add a frag." Enter the user names of the person who gave and the person who received the frag. Select the date on which the transaction took place and then hit "Save." Your frag will then appear in the table.

There are a couple other things to note about the new system. For one, it's possible to create multiple "root" frags in a single chain. We think that's okay and might be useful if you want to add a frag to a chain but you didn't get the coral from anyone in the program. However, you're free to start a separate thread in those circumstances too, if you prefer.

One other thing worth mentioning is that it's not possible to have a chain which is also a poll. We think this is probably fine since we're getting rid of DBTC-X, as Charles just announced. (http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/7206)

In the future we plan to add additional features, such as a table in users' account profiles that shows all of that user's frags, site-wide dbtc statistics, the ability to mark a frag as deceased, and a mechanism for managing frags which have been promised but not delivered yet.

As for the data we've collected on past transactions, Norman has been compiling that information and we'll be asking for volunteers to help us put it all into the new system.

Please let me know if you have questions or run into problems!

Norman has been gathering the data from the big DBTC tracking thread. He's cleaning that up and I think he'll be asking for volunteers to help enter that data.

In the meantime you're welcome to enter frags you've given or received. Please only enter frags where the parent frag is already there, though, since adding the parent frag later doesn't yet work.

this is super cool, the other club I belong to has been working on a system as well, but I think this version is much cleaner..

Thanks Roc! There are obviously some missing features still, but we tried to make it as straightforward and well integrated as possible.

I'm wondering how come I don't seem to show up on either giving DBTC corals or reciving them? Oh For the record I have done both, plus returned frags back into the program

sfsuphysics said:
Click on your name, then the DBTC tab near the top, it shows you both given and received.

You know the last time I looked that wasn't there.....LOL

So how do we track a coral that died besides just logging it in the tracking thread

thanks cuz I had massive loses awhile back and want to make sure everyone knows I'm not being a coral whore when I ask for something, my stats look bad as is with negitive 5 DBTC karma points :(

Well a quick glance can show that you have given out corals, and to be perfectly honest the "karma" really doesn't mean much when there's lots of transactions on either side, who'd you rather give a coral to? Someone with a -5 karma because they received 5 corals without giving any one, or someone with a -10 but they gave out 30 corals, and received 40?

That being said, if you had issues that killed corals I think ultimately you should be responsible which is what the karma reflects.

Back