Is a chiller necessary?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by NelsonCh, Apr 15, 2018.

1. NelsonCh

NelsonCh Supporting Member

A couple of friends from SoCal are telling me to get a chiller since summer time tank temperature can go over safe levels.

I wanted to ask if anyone uses a chiller and if not, how hot does summer get for you? Have you experienced only 1 summer or 2? Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zeeGGee likes this.
  2. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

A chiller is an option for many but there have been waves of really bad hot weather around then people try to scramble to find a chiller...
    Others use evaporative cooling and last resurce, frozen water bottles in the sump.
    Is good to be ready and know also that PG&E loves you for getting a chiller !
    I have two (one nashorn over on RC borrowed one) and another that the darn solenoid/relay? was stuck and just tripped the breaker, fixed that issue already.
    I’ve never had the need for a chiller yet I’m prepared...

3. tankguy

tankguy BOD

I don’t use one

4. jorahx4

jorahx4 Supporting Member

I assume it’s all based on the temp you keep your house. I personally don’t use an AC and with the temp being 100+ out side my house is often 80+. So I will probably get a chiller.

5. JVU

JVU Supporting Member

Exactly, it depends on the temperature in your house, not the temperature outside. I set my AC to 80 Max usually in the summer so I don’t need a chiller.

Since it’s dry around here, having temp controlled fans is as effective as a chiller but more straightforward. Just keep up with evaporated water.

6. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

If you don't live on the first floor in ad I'd recommend having one. You can use fans on a temp control to evaporate water, but can raise humidity in your house Andy needs an auto top off with decently sized reservoir.

7. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Evaporative cooling works really well, especially if your house has central air. Keep your ATO filled as Mike mentioned. I have my tank in the office and the fan on it has only kicked on twice this last couple of summers even though the office is kept at ~72. Was keeping ventralis at the time and keeping the tank only at 74 and it spiked to 76. :p

8. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Most people connect a fan that blows over the water, for evaporative cooling. I do.
    One pound of water evaporating = 970 BTU.

If you have an ATO, and connect fan to aquarium controller, you are all set.

But it does depend a lot on your specific living arrangements.

9. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

If you do go the chiller route think about how you are going to vent to the outside. A chiller in the stand increases the ambient temp which is what is making your tank hot in the first place unless you use a crap ton of pumps and other electrical gizmos that are raising the tank temp.

Remember a 50 watt pump in your tank adds the same amount of energy as a 50 watt heater

10. OnTheReef

OnTheReef OnTheReef (Eric) Supporting Member

I use chillers and find them to be an efficient option for protecting my corals during the hot summers. Since I tend toward smaller, AIO tanks, parameter stability is a concern for me and it's just one more variable that I can automate for peace of mind.

11. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

I dont have any chillers, but last summer during the heat my 180 hit 87 and my 28 hit 88-89 which was pretty bad, and I floated frozen RO in my 28 and in my 180 I put fans

12. Flagg37

Flagg37 Colorado member

I’ve found that frozen water bottles and ice packs did almost nothing but putting a fan on it worked way better than I expected. You can get the cool fans that are made for this that clip on the side of the tank or just a household fan works too. You can control either with the apex also with some simple programming.

Coral reefer likes this.
  13. NelsonCh

NelsonCh Supporting Member

Gotcha!