Is my BAR membership tax deductible? I know we are a non-profit, but are we in any way charitable?

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Vincerama2, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

As the title states, I'm just wondering if my BAR membership is tax deductible. I know my CA Academy of Sciences membership is.

V

2. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Nope.

3. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Nope.

4. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

Definately not on your BAR membership. Right out of the IRS Publication on Charatible contributions:

Membership fees or dues.

"You may be able to deduct membership fees or dues you pay to a qualified organization. However, you can deduct only the amount that is more then the value you receive. You cannot deduct dues, fees, or assessments paid to country clubs and other social organizations." [BAR falls under this category]

Without giving specific tax advice, usually the rule of thumb is that if you receive some benefit in kind for a donation to a charitable organization, the value of the benefit should be reduced from the charitable contribution. For example if you were to go to a charatible event and receive a meal you are supposed to reduce the amount of the donation by the value of the meal.

5. sid700

sid700 Supporting Member

I knew what Bryan was talking about, so I don't understand why CAS membership is deductible. Instead of paying $25/visit, that membership allows you to go in as many times as you want. Not to mention the membership card ;-) and other benefits you get.

6. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

So I'm guessing all my donations to get raffle tickets are not tax deductible either! :D

Speaking of which... I need to mail my taxes!

7. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

We're also in the wrong class, right?

8. seminolecpa

Yes. We are a 501(c)(4) which means we are a not-for-profit, not a charitable organization. Classified similar to a college fraternity or the Rotary Club.

9. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Is it (3), (4) or both the IRS is looking at really hard now?

10. seminolecpa

Can't be both. it is a 4. 501c3 is a charitable org. I would guess 4.

11. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I googled it. They are cracking down on both.

12. seminolecpa

Let em crack down we have nothing to hide. FWIW cracking down can mean lots of things. They typically focus on areas of the country and like the east coast for some reason in my experience.

13. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

My comment had nothing to do with BAR.

This was national news last year. It was/is everywhere. Both are highly abused and in a time when the US is broke, it looks for ways to recoup money ;)

14. tuberider

tuberider Guest

When I worked for a 501(c)3 we were under a microscope, of course it was a music venue so go figure :D