Cali Kid Corals

Islandcreation's 120 starphire tank

it looks like this

IMG_4378.jpg

[quote author=saltwatersig link=topic=4292.msg53562#msg53562 date=1219623630]
it looks like this

IMG_4378.jpg

[/quote]

It looks exactly like that. But for some reason when someone states cap I think of a more evenly spreaded coral. I got it and they stated it was a shamrock monti but as time went on the bodies a darker brown with bright green polyps. The more I see diffrent pics of it the more I'm confident its the same coral. My piece is small only 1x1 but I had a smaller piece brake off which is .5x.5

[quote author=islandcreation link=topic=4292.msg53556#msg53556 date=1219619835]Meaning were the cables be hooked on to the sheet metal? If so how were the lumenbrights suppose to be fixed on to the sheet metal?[/quote]

You could secure through the sheetmetal down to your metal frame.

I thought you were saying to cut holes in the sheet metal to allow the lumenbrights to be half exposed. This would allow the lumenbrights to be holding up the sheet metal and just hooking the cables up top of the lumenbrights.

Sure, half exposed, but you don't have attached the cables to the lumenbrights directly if the metal is too light duty.

You got me thinking about the inverted L pieces. Is it hard to weld steel? Can anyone just do it? I think I'm pretty good at DIY for the most part.

Ian and the planted tank guys have been using bent electrical conduit. Nice setup.

I saw a pic of one of Gresh's made from pipe. Also nice. His attached to the stand and could swivel the lumenarc to the side for access.

[quote author=badbread link=topic=4292.msg53629#msg53629 date=1219697394]
Holy acans! Very nice tank.

Curious on the plumbing to the garage, pics?
[/quote]

I'll post some pics. Just trying to make it presentable right now.

Its been about 1 month of brainstorming, being lazy, getting materials, having the first run not work etc... My light stand pendant hanger is done :) The only thing I don't like is the nuts and bolts that hold the structure together shows :( Oh well, its up and great for me. So here's the before and after shots.

Before. (Making a temp to see the height of 16 inches for the lumenbright above the water surface)

PictureorVideo179.jpg

After :)

IMG_3483.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

IMG_3485.jpg

I don't have my two 110 VHO's super actinics for supplemental lighting :( But I noticed I never used them that much anyways, due to trying to save as much energy as possible. Plus I don't have my moonlights which is whats really getting to me. I feel the fish are stressed or confused on why its pitch dark now? Oh, don't mind the huge frag tray. I have to setup my small frag tank in the mean time to make the main tank more enjoyable. Plus, I am going to zip tie the wiring of the halides to the stand frame too :)

I am going to a create a black acylic boxed cover to cover the white PVC, seaswirls and the top over flow box. And I may create a a very light boxed hood that would slip over the top of the stand. I guess that would be another month in the making :)

I second the request for the garage plumbing pics.

I'm scheming some schemes in my head, but am very interested in what you've done (and others).

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

I'm embarrassed to post pics just yet since I'm still unpacking. Plus I have a monster frag tank in the room too :) I'll post pics after this weekend. I'll clean it up to be presentable at the minimum. Its basically like any other setup but just plumbed to the garage. Water enters filter sock, sump, heaters, skimmer, calcium reactor, orp controller then back to the return pump. I do have another mag pump flowing water to a 75 gallon refugium with the water returning to the sump too.

[quote author=Earthboy17 link=topic=4292.msg57758#msg57758 date=1223346909]
I second the request for the garage plumbing pics.

I'm scheming some schemes in my head, but am very interested in what you've done (and others).

Thanks,
Tom
[/quote]

i saw this tank and garage sump/refugium/frag tank set up tonight in person. All i can say is the pictures dont do the tank justice. It looks amazing! and the sump/refugium is huge! Also that little frag tank is fricken sweet very nice!

Thanks Justin for the compliment. I just insulated the pipes going under the house and I must say its making a huge diffrence. I also finally got my auto top off finished. Hooked up to my ro/di unit with solenoid so water top offs are no longer a concern ;D Once I started that job my CO2 tank goes out! If its not one thing its another. Last time I got my CO2 tank filled it took 1 month, I just decided to create my own two part and just did it manuelly ha,ha,ha Talk about being lazy.

Back