It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
A beautiful day for a neighbor.
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?...
- Mr. Rogers

I know that different types of Zoas can be grown together making Zoa Gardens. The same seems to be true of Acans and Mushrooms. What other coral "types" can be placed in close proximity?

Can Flowerpot Corals of different colors be placed next to one another?
Can Hammers? Plate Corals? Torches? Favias? Chalices? Brain?

I wonder if it has anything to do with whether or not the coral has stinging tentacles that extend far enough to be a danger to others. It's a good question though, if the same or similar species will sting each other.

Most euphyllia can touch (Hammers, Frogspawn, Torches), I've heard some torches don't like other euphyllia so be careful and keep an eye on any touches in contact.

Acans can touch for the most part, some of the smaller micromussa don't always get along with the bigger acans.

Different color mushrooms of the same species are usually fine together. When overlapping mushrooms of different species proceed with caution. My yuma mushrooms fend off the neighboring rhodactis mushrooms.

I've been able to put some chalices together (mummy-eye with pink-boobies). If the two chalices have really different textures, I would not put them near each other.

Most zoas and palys are fine together.

Note: If you notice your zoas or palys look slightly mangled, aren't opening or have strange spots of color that they didn't have before, I've found that they are probably getting stung at night by some neighboring coral that puts out stingers when the lights are off. Look for favia, chalice or any other coral that could have long tentacles and put more space between them.

Last edited:
Back