Kessil

It's here

Just got this bad boy yesterday :)
Canon 70-200 f/4L USM. It is one sweet piece of metal and glass :D I opted against the IS version of this lens because at nearly double the price, I really felt I'd be hurting afterwards. You can get the jist of how I felt about the f/2.8 (IS and non-IS). And at twice the weight of the f4, not such a great travel lens.
4163396145_2417433e36.jpg

Where did you purchase this choice lens? May I ask as to what it costs to pick up a nice close-up lens like this? Thanks Anthony! :)

John,
I actually this lens in particular from my cousin who upgraded to a better model of this lens. The one I have is the older of the four they have. I opted for this one because it is the most budget friendly for me, and I plan to use it mainly for outdoor photography, so lack of light is rarely an issue. But if you can afford the technology, I hear the f2.8 IS is a beast :)

70-200 f4 (the one I have) $600 new
70-200 f4 IS $1,132
70-200 f2.8 $1,220
70-200 f2.8 IS $1,695

Bad addiction :(

I'm familiar with being hooked on hobbies!
I'd pick the same one you did as I'm very spread out with other hobby interests. I really wish to step up my macro photos of frags and colony's in the tank. My Cannon G10 is great for diving and point and shoot but lousy for macro shots in the tank. I'm still fiddling with manual settings to see if I can improve my tank shots.

Thanks for the quick reply and I'll look forward to seeing some of your shots with the new lens!

Cheers!

Actually, I don't find this lens is that great with macro photography ... not when compared to Canon's 100 mm f2.8 macro lens :D I prefer the latter for macro photography as it is able to focus at a much shorter distance from the subject than the 70-200.

I used to have a Nikon point and shoot, and I was able to take some pretty decent macro shots of some corals. For me back then, it was a matter of improving my technique, and becomes familiar with the camera. Use of a tripod, turn off the flash, turn off the pumps prior to shooting, put the camera on timer shooting mode, and make sure the camera is directly parallel with the glass of the tank you're shooting through.
:)

Thanks for sharing the tips, Anthony. I agree completely that using good technique and camera settings are critical for any camera. My G10 will take some pretty good shots and I'm going to be shooting from the top of the tank through an acrylic box that Gen is making for me at Krittertanks. I want all my posted images to be in clear focus and with accurate color rendering. That's not too much to ask! :glasses:

The lens isn't for macro by any means, the minimum focal distance is pretty darn far =) Magnification is 1:4 rather than 1:1 as well.

Back