Jestersix

IVE GOT RED BUGS!!!!

Damn your meeting Bryan and Jeremy,

I'm not going to lie, i was a little scared during the meeting yesterday. Turns out that i had a right to be.

So i went home and was looking at my tank after the meeting with a freshly trained eye and low and behold i have redbugs. I had no idea. I felt/feel so dirty.

Long and the short of it is, thanks to the meeting i know that i can manage these fairly easily. The bad part is i had to spend 45 min on the phone with my sister this morning convincing her to take her beagle to a mobile vet clinic to get some interceptor.

Thanks again guys, great talk. Very encouraging.

BTW: anybody have a fish trap i can borrow?

Well at least it isn't AEFW, RBs are a walk in the park and a good entry level pest :D

I have a trap that is currently loaned out, if you don't get one by the time I get it back you can borrow it.

The best camera that i have is my iphone and thats not really gonna pick them up, sorry.

On my acropora they look like little gold spots smaller than a grain of sugar.

well consider yourself lucky you can see them... I've had red bugs a couple times (that I know of) and I usually only notice them when I take close up pictures of the coral (macro + zoom = hey I can see them!), even when I know where they are I stare at the coral and I just can not see things that small.

Mr. Ugly said:
Don't worry too much about redbugs. Easy to treat. No need to rush either.

Some speculate that RB keep AEFW in check as once they dosed Interceptor to get rid of the RB, they found an AEFW explosion. No proof or papers to back this claim up though, take it with a huge grain of salt, HUGE GRAIN OF SALT>

GreshamH said:
Some speculate that RB keep AEFW in check as once they dosed Interceptor to get rid of the RB, they found an AEFW explosion. No proof or papers to back this claim up though, take it with a huge grain of salt, HUGE GRAIN OF SALT>

What, you didn't hear about the new 2 part AEFW treatment?

First part is a 50ml bottle of cultured redbugs.
Second part is a bottle of crushed Interceptor.

:D

Mr. Ugly said:
GreshamH said:

What, you didn't hear about the new 2 part AEFW treatment?

First part is a 50ml bottle of cultured redbugs.
Second part is a bottle of crushed Interceptor.

:D
Can I get that at BRS?

GreshamH said:
Mr. Ugly said:
Don't worry too much about redbugs. Easy to treat. No need to rush either.

Almost mentioned that in the meeting but decided as you put it [Big grain of salt] to pass. It definately is out there as a theory though and with these little $#%#%#% suckers you never know.

seems feasible/reasonable, you have two creatures which "feed" on a particular piece of real estate, you get rid of one, the other will certainly take its place. What would be interesting is to see if the RBs actively control AEFW as oppose to passively.

I introduced RBs into my system to see it it would have any effect on the AEFW population, IME there was no difference in the population even when the RBs had reached plague proportions.

tuberider said:
I introduced RBs into my system to see it it would have any effect on the AEFW population, IME there was no difference in the population even when the RBs had reached plague proportions.
Did you really do that deliberately?

Could I. . .

So if the life span of the redbugs is three to five days, could i remove the rocks with acros and milli's to a quarantine tank and then intercept' that tank twice over two weeks while they die off naturally in my main tank? Would they die off when denied the food source for that period of time?

Naturally im trying to find a way around killing all the pods and such in my tank, not to mention shrimp, crabs etc.

tuberider said:

simply NO FEAR!!!!!!
Amazing! :D

Back