[January 16, 2016] Introduction to Aquarium Photography Workshop

Discussion in 'Events & Announcements' started by Enderturtle, Dec 15, 2015.

By Enderturtle on Dec 15, 2015 at 8:26 AM
  1. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Photography2.png

[​IMG] Information

• BAR will be hosting a introductory workshop on Aquarium Photography. The main goal of this event is to teach you what you need to know to take still shots of your aquarium.
    • This workshop will NOT cover fish photography since low light is often the limiting factor in aquarium.
    • This workshop is focused on hobbyists beginning to learn how to control color and take sharp photos using camera phones, point-n-shoot cameras, and DSLR cameras.
    • We will be taking pictures of corals in the frag tanks. Hands on learning!

Do Your Aquarium Pictures Look Like This?
    auz412.jpg
    No that isn't what it looks like in person. Let's try and fix the color and sharpness issues.

Your Guru:

Is me, Michael aka EnderTurtle. I have been playing with photography on and off for the past 7 years. I am in no way an expert or professional photographer but I feel that I'm fully qualified to teach a free class on introductory photography focusing on the aquarium environment to my favorite reef club.

Here are some of my sample pictures.

rics.jpg IMG_5050.jpg IMG_0967.jpg IMG_0996.jpg

Main topics
    • Understanding White Balance, Aperture, Shutterspeed, and ISO and how they affect color, sharpness, and depth of field.
    • Maximizing Photo Quality from a Camera Phone.
    • Tips for taking Better Pictures with your Point-And-Shoot Camera or DSLR Camera.
      • Overview of Common Equipment used in Aquarium Photography by hobbyists/vendors.
      • At the end I'll ask if you guys are interested in learning how to post-process RAW files.
    My main goal is to teach you what you need to know to go home and take decent aquarium pictures.

I encourage you to bring your own cameras too and try techniques out as we learn them.

Schedule of Events

• 12:30PM Start Talking about Photography Basics and Camera Phones
    • We Go Take Pictures of Corals in the Frag Tanks
      • If you don't want to learn about more advanced photography topics, you can leave at this point.
    • Jump back into the second half to talk about Point-n-Shoot Cameras and DSLR Cameras
    • We Go Take Pictures of Corals in the Frag Tanks
      • You will get to try some of the equipment.

[​IMG] Event Details

• 42732 Albrae St, Fremont, CA 94538
    • Date: January 16, 2016 (Saturday)
    • Time: 12:30PM

[​IMG] Free Raffles
    • 1 DIY SLR Camera Porthole
    • Orange Gel Filters
    • California Reef Co. TBD Raffle

This event is for BAR Supporting Members Only.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'Events & Announcements' started by Enderturtle, Dec 15, 2015.

1. wpeterson
      wpeterson
      With the new date, I can make it. See you guys there.
    2. tygunn
      tygunn
      I've got a rental car now, and my new hand casting allows me to drive easily, so I can get there on my own now.
    3. tygunn
      tygunn
      I'm definitely interested in seeing how these magical orange gel filters make the photos turn out though!
    4. wpeterson
      wpeterson
      I'm happy to give you a ride and it's mostly on my way from Mountain View. Let me know.
    5. Baykes
      Baykes
      Whoah for some reason I thought this was at Chaboto_O? Since California Reef Co. is like half the distance, I should be able to make the meet and my shift later that day:). I will bring my Canon T3 and I would love to try out your macro lens @Vhuang168 ! I should be able to stay for at least an hour, hopefully I will improve my skills in that time:D
    6. Enderturtle
      Enderturtle
      Yup location is FREMONT at California Reef Co.

Im excited :)

It will be pretty relaxed. Show you guys my tips/techniques for taking photos of aquariums/corals.
      wpeterson likes this.
    7. coral4me
      coral4me
      @Ashalye and I are planning to attend. See you Saturday with cameras on.
      Enderturtle and Ashalye like this.
    8. pixelpixi
      pixelpixi
      I'll be there. Looking forward to it! @Enderturtle, can I pick up the frag for the grow-out cost from you then too?
    9. Enderturtle
      Enderturtle
      Yup I will be bringing the 2 remaining frags for jon and pixelpixi
      pixelpixi likes this.
    10. Coral reefer
      Coral reefer
      And my black worms if they're still alive?
    11. Vhuang168
      Vhuang168
      I still have a few portions left of the black worms if anyone else is interested. $10 gets you 6oz, which is a lot of worms!
    12. Newjack
      Newjack
      hi Mike,
      I'll be stopping by, but not for long. No need to reserve a seat for me. I'll be there to meet up with a few members while lurking over your class.
    13. Enderturtle
      Enderturtle
    14. Vhuang168
      Vhuang168
      Michael, your share and Coral Reefer's share have been at CRC since yesterday. I told you I was going to drop it off. I told Anthony too. They are in a container each with enough water so should be fine.
      Enderturtle and Coral reefer like this.
    15. mattcoug
      mattcoug
      Heads up, last time I was there, there was a lot of road construction. So leave a bit early to give yourself time in case a detour is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    16. tygunn
      tygunn
      DOH! Of course my auto insurance chose this morning to call back about my auto claim... Looks like my vehicle is a total loss so now I have to negotiate a payout. Hopefully that'll be done quickly so I can still make it.
    17. tygunn
      tygunn
      Bah stupid insurance is slow. Hopefully we can get a writeup of the tips and tricks. I'm really curious to know what then the orange gels come into play.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    18. wpeterson
      wpeterson
      I saved my handout of the slides if you'd like my copy. The orange filters seem like a great idea for aquarium shooting in blue light.

I bought a Canon orange filter lens that screws over the kit lens. Haven't had time to play with it yet, but for $8 it seems like a nice accessory for DSLR owners shooting aquariums.

The biggest impediment to good tank shots for me is cleaning my glass right now, so I was glad I had time to do a water change and clean up the tank. It was embarrassing to have folks from the club over when it had two weeks of algae growth on the glass. Glad to get back on schedule.
    19. jonmos75
      jonmos75
      Thanks BAR for having these type of workshops and wanted to thank @Enderturtle for the presentation it was fun and informative as always.

Don't want to forget thanking @California_Reef_Co allowing us the opportunity to have this workshop held at your shop...
    20. Vhuang168
      Vhuang168
      I want to thank @Enderturtle for a great workshop! Lots of good info and hands on examples. Love the orange filters!

Here is an apples to apples to apples comparison of what I took today. All the following 3 pictures had no post processing.

This is using the orange filter

CoralPhoto-1.jpg

This is using my camera's Auto white balance (AWB)

CoralPhoto-2.jpg

Lastly, using a custom white balance option on my camera.

CoralPhoto-3.jpg

There is definitely a huge difference between using AWB and using the orange filters. But using the camera's custom white balance feature worked really well too!

The following picture is processed using Lightroom. The original is the 2nd photo. I shot it in Aperture priority mode with AWB.
      ISO @ 500
      Aperture @ f/2.8
      Shutter speed @1/25
      RAW format

CoralPhoto-4.jpg

As you can see. Shooting in RAW and having a powerful program like Lightroom to be able to do post processing can do wonders!
      Enderturtle likes this.