got ethical husbandry?

[January 16, 2016] Introduction to Aquarium Photography Workshop

Whoah for some reason I thought this was at Chaboto_O? Since California Reef Co. is like half the distance, I should be able to make the meet and my shift later that day:). I will bring my Canon T3 and I would love to try out your macro lens @Vhuang168 ! I should be able to stay for at least an hour, hopefully I will improve my skills in that time:D

hi Mike,
I'll be stopping by, but not for long. No need to reserve a seat for me. I'll be there to meet up with a few members while lurking over your class.

Heads up, last time I was there, there was a lot of road construction. So leave a bit early to give yourself time in case a detour is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DOH! Of course my auto insurance chose this morning to call back about my auto claim... Looks like my vehicle is a total loss so now I have to negotiate a payout. Hopefully that'll be done quickly so I can still make it.

DOH! Of course my auto insurance chose this morning to call back about my auto claim... Looks like my vehicle is a total loss so now I have to negotiate a payout. Hopefully that'll be done quickly so I can still make it.
Bah stupid insurance is slow. Hopefully we can get a writeup of the tips and tricks. I'm really curious to know what then the orange gels come into play.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bah stupid insurance is slow. Hopefully we can get a writeup of the tips and tricks. I'm really curious to know what then the orange gels come into play.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I saved my handout of the slides if you'd like my copy. The orange filters seem like a great idea for aquarium shooting in blue light.

I bought a Canon orange filter lens that screws over the kit lens. Haven't had time to play with it yet, but for $8 it seems like a nice accessory for DSLR owners shooting aquariums.

The biggest impediment to good tank shots for me is cleaning my glass right now, so I was glad I had time to do a water change and clean up the tank. It was embarrassing to have folks from the club over when it had two weeks of algae growth on the glass. Glad to get back on schedule.

I want to thank @Enderturtle for a great workshop! Lots of good info and hands on examples. Love the orange filters!

Here is an apples to apples to apples comparison of what I took today. All the following 3 pictures had no post processing.

This is using the orange filter

CoralPhoto-1.jpg

This is using my camera's Auto white balance (AWB)

CoralPhoto-2.jpg

Lastly, using a custom white balance option on my camera.

CoralPhoto-3.jpg

There is definitely a huge difference between using AWB and using the orange filters. But using the camera's custom white balance feature worked really well too!

The following picture is processed using Lightroom. The original is the 2nd photo. I shot it in Aperture priority mode with AWB.
ISO @ 500
Aperture @ f/2.8
Shutter speed @1/25
RAW format

CoralPhoto-4.jpg

As you can see. Shooting in RAW and having a powerful program like Lightroom to be able to do post processing can do wonders!

Back