[January 16, 2016] Introduction to Aquarium Photography Workshop

Discussion in 'Events & Announcements' started by Enderturtle, Dec 15, 2015.

By Enderturtle on Dec 15, 2015 at 8:26 AM
  1. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Photography2.png

[​IMG] Information

• BAR will be hosting a introductory workshop on Aquarium Photography. The main goal of this event is to teach you what you need to know to take still shots of your aquarium.
    • This workshop will NOT cover fish photography since low light is often the limiting factor in aquarium.
    • This workshop is focused on hobbyists beginning to learn how to control color and take sharp photos using camera phones, point-n-shoot cameras, and DSLR cameras.
    • We will be taking pictures of corals in the frag tanks. Hands on learning!

Do Your Aquarium Pictures Look Like This?
    auz412.jpg
    No that isn't what it looks like in person. Let's try and fix the color and sharpness issues.

Your Guru:

Is me, Michael aka EnderTurtle. I have been playing with photography on and off for the past 7 years. I am in no way an expert or professional photographer but I feel that I'm fully qualified to teach a free class on introductory photography focusing on the aquarium environment to my favorite reef club.

Here are some of my sample pictures.

rics.jpg IMG_5050.jpg IMG_0967.jpg IMG_0996.jpg

Main topics
    • Understanding White Balance, Aperture, Shutterspeed, and ISO and how they affect color, sharpness, and depth of field.
    • Maximizing Photo Quality from a Camera Phone.
    • Tips for taking Better Pictures with your Point-And-Shoot Camera or DSLR Camera.
      • Overview of Common Equipment used in Aquarium Photography by hobbyists/vendors.
      • At the end I'll ask if you guys are interested in learning how to post-process RAW files.
    My main goal is to teach you what you need to know to go home and take decent aquarium pictures.

I encourage you to bring your own cameras too and try techniques out as we learn them.

Schedule of Events

• 12:30PM Start Talking about Photography Basics and Camera Phones
    • We Go Take Pictures of Corals in the Frag Tanks
      • If you don't want to learn about more advanced photography topics, you can leave at this point.
    • Jump back into the second half to talk about Point-n-Shoot Cameras and DSLR Cameras
    • We Go Take Pictures of Corals in the Frag Tanks
      • You will get to try some of the equipment.

[​IMG] Event Details

• 42732 Albrae St, Fremont, CA 94538
    • Date: January 16, 2016 (Saturday)
    • Time: 12:30PM

[​IMG] Free Raffles
    • 1 DIY SLR Camera Porthole
    • Orange Gel Filters
    • California Reef Co. TBD Raffle

This event is for BAR Supporting Members Only.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'Events & Announcements' started by Enderturtle, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Flagg37
      Flagg37
      I just ordered an orange filter for my camera. Thanks for the class Ender. I was surprised how much of a difference the filter makes.
    2. wpeterson
      wpeterson
      Big Thanks to @Enderturtle !

The class was a great overview of the factors of good photography and some interesting ideas about improving it: color filters, submersible camera tubes, maybe HDR or post-processing. Big thanks to CA Reef Co for sharing their space, it was a nice side room that fit all of us in. I wish I had room for more corals or fish in our tank, it's too tempting being in the store.

It's great to catch up with folks in the club and fun to think about another aspect of the hobby.
      jonmos75 likes this.
    3. Newjack
      Newjack
      I'm a camera dummy, so the presentation was very informative to me.
      Thanks EnderTurtle for volunteering your time and huge effort. Hopefully, I can remember most of what I learned.
    4. tygunn
      tygunn
      Out of curiosity is there a recommended orange filter to get? Seems there is a wide variety of them available on Amazon, ranging from $8 each to around $25/ea. Not sure if there is a distinction.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    5. Flagg37
      Flagg37
      Tiffen and B&W are pretty good brands. You tend to get what you pay for. If you're not all that concerned about image quality and are more concerned with getting the colors filtered then the cheap ones do the job.
    6. tygunn
      tygunn
      I would opt for the better one myself. I got a cheap neutral density filter and it has a definite color cast to it.

7. Flagg37
      Flagg37
      These orange filters are used in black and white photography to bring more contrast. #16 orange provides a medium contrast #21 is dark contrast. I'm not 100% sure how this changes for aquarium photography.
    8. Vhuang168
      Vhuang168
      Get the B+W if you can swing it. Hoya also has good filters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    9. tygunn
      tygunn
      I have seen mentions of the orange filters effectively shifting the color temperature warmer. So I can see how this would help taking the picture.

I've always been able to take reasonable photos providing I shoot in raw and post process. I guess I'd need to experiment to see which results in better photos.

10. Enderturtle
      Enderturtle
      For me I use an orange gel filter with my camera phone for quick pics that I dont care about.

If im using the dslr, I shoot with no filter and then post process in lightroom.
    11. Vhuang168
      Vhuang168
      Using filters will cut down the amount of light that your camera gets.

The b+w #16 orange filter will drop your exposure 1.3 stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk