January BOD Minutes

Discussion in 'Club Financials & Minutes' started by patchin, Jan 12, 2009.

  1. patchin

    patchin Facilities / Event Coordinator

    JANUARY BOD MINUTES

    ATTENDEES—Tim Ten, Whisk, Yard Artist, Kevin Cartier, Swatchguy, Zambavi, Otaku Thugster, Jbon, Jimmy C, Jeremy S, Hooked, Zepplock, JSL30629, glee, Norman Tom, Raddogz, sid700, iani, Apon, Patchin, Pixelpixie, Seminolecpa, Gomer, Mr. Ugly, Charles

    February Swap
    The swap will be held in Max’s large room in San Jose. Food will be available. Somewhere around 100 people will be expected. It’s important to post basic information about the swap for those who haven’t attended one. Containers, labels, etc.

    Drupal
    We decided to change our software platform from SMF to Drupal. Drupal should be more stable, easier to maintain and easier to add new modules to. Erin will develop an expanded beta version to test.

    DBTC Tracking
    Vlad has developed a tracking system for DBTC which could be used multiple clubs. We decided to use it only within BAR to start. How it will be integrated within the forum needs to still be decided. Norm and Vlad will get it rolling.

    Blast Emailing
    We felt it was important to always have an opt out option on every email. Meeting notifications seems to be the best usage of blast emailing. No one felt they were getting too many emails or that they were a problem.

    New Banners
    Tony will continue to solicit more banner designs for one week. A poll will take place and the winner will be determined. Tim has volunteered to print two large, a few small banners and some directional arrows

    Reworking Officer Descriptions
    These will be redone to reflect reality and then be voted on by the membership.

    BayMac
    Our April meeting will be BayMac on the 2nd Saturday of April. The first BayMac was a good fundraiser for the club.

    Sanjay
    Sanjay has not returned emails about coming out to speak to the club. We will accommodate him as much as possible.

    New Meeting Location
    The room at Chabot worked out well. The price (free) fits our budget. This room and the adjacent one could work for the club swap, but a different location would probably have to be found for Regional swaps Steve will check into the consistent availability of the same room we used.

    New Sponsorship Requests
    Members had positive comments about Neptune Aquatics, a LFS in Milpitas. They were accepted as a sponsor.

    LFS Tours
    There was almost unanimous interest in having regional LFS tours.
     
  2. Lyn

    Lyn Guest

    Hi Patchin,

    I see that food will be available at the Feb 14 swap. Will it be like regular meetings where people bring what ever they want?

    I was thinking of bringing some "Valentines day" cookies if we were allowed to contribute. :D
     
  3. Gomer

    Gomer Honorary Member

    Pretty sure the food will be the catering truck like we had at BAYMAC. ...and I won't turn down home made cookies!!!! :p
     
  4. sfsuphysics

    sfsuphysics Supporting Member

    I'm looking to bite the heads of more seahorses :D

    Does this basically mean there is no April meeting?
     
  5. Lyn

    Lyn Guest

    Do you mean the hotdog/hamburger one from the Aug. swap? I didn't get to go to BAYMAC.

    I'll plan on making cookies then. :) Something to munch on while waiting for your letter to be called. :D
     
  6. Gomer

    Gomer Honorary Member

    Most likely that will be correct and safe to plan according to that.


    Lyn, it is different. I don't recall everytying they had, but I got some inexpensive and tasty soft tacos from them.
     
  7. LeviT

    LeviT Guest

    Sorry I couldn't make it. Thanks for the re-cap!
     
  8. Lyn

    Lyn Guest

    Oh, I hope it is the taco one and not the hotdog one ( I wasn't too thrilled with the hotdog/hamburger cart).

    [quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5889.msg74140#msg74140 date=1231828108]
    I'm looking to bite the heads of more seahorses :D

    OK Mike, I'll make some seahorses just for you and the other cookie decapitating eaters out there. ;D
     
  9. patchin

    patchin Facilities / Event Coordinator

    Yes, it's basically a taco wagon.
     
  10. GreshamH

    GreshamH Guest

    Sorry, I couldn't attend but I have a few comments and questions...

    It's a Roach Couch. They serve everything guys :)

    You only expect 100 people at the swap? Is this how small the last members only was?

    Drupal sounds like another Dave problem to me :( How many know how to use Drupal besides Erin?

    Do you want me to call Sanjay and ask him something?
     
  11. Gomer

    Gomer Honorary Member

    Ya. Pretty sure the last was somewhere in the neighborhood of 100. Quite sizably smaller than a typical regional.

    That issue was definitely something we talked about. Given our current support for SMF, and potential Drupal support (and a bunch of other significant factors which I personally don't want to type out, but others may), it looked like the right move.
     
  12. GreshamH

    GreshamH Guest

    Sounds good. I just worry about what will happen if and when Eric steps down and no one else can do it :)

    What about contacting Sanjay? I was going to call him anyways for personal reasons so if you want me to talk to him at that time I'm more then willing :)
     
  13. seminolecpa

    seminolecpa Past President

    Gresham. FYI we only had about 140 or so paid members last year (probably with about 25% as special carryovers due to the change in the membership policy). Throw in the meeting attendence requirement and people not being able to make it an viola. I think last years was closer to about 60 or so people honestly. I would expect this year to be larger as our membership base has grown, though as of today we are at about 100 2009 paid members.

    Also an interesting factoid, we made almost as much on the raffle for the members only swap last year with half as many people in attendence as we did at the regional swap.
     
  14. GreshamH

    GreshamH Guest

    Didn't we pull in like $2,500 from another regional swap though?
     
  15. tuberider

    tuberider Guest

    [quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5889.msg74432#msg74432 date=1231953293]

    Do you want me to call Sanjay and ask him something?


    [/quote]

    I've emailed him asking for alternate dates, even non second Saturdays and haven't heard back from him. Personally I'm moving forward and looking at fill our open slots (or slot as the case may be) with someone else until I hear back from him.
     
  16. GreshamH

    GreshamH Guest

    Call me. Giving up on a speaker due to non communication will result in mainly locals doing BAR events, trust me :). Most are busy people. Sanjay had finals to deal with (remember, he's a professor), then he was in Florida on vacation.
     
  17. seminolecpa

    seminolecpa Past President

    Yes. Looks like the 2007 regional swap drew in that much. Recall also though, that was the one we had all of the tongan mini colonies etc. I believe. Also bar footed all of the costs of the swap. In addition the swap was in Feb vs. August (part of the reason we are moving the regional swap back to Feb in 2010) and we were pretty much the only show in town as far as regional swaps and gas prices werent hovering at $4 per gallon.

    For 2008 the swap raffle revenue was $950 for the members swap and $1,121 for the regional swap. We did not come out of pocket for any swap related expenses as far as the regional swap went.
     
  18. tuberider

    tuberider Guest

    I understand Gresham and am not giving up on him that's why I left it wide open for him to pick the date, remember we're on the third try here. Also, I'm not going to settle for a local speaker when we have it in our budget to bring in two kick ass speakers a year. I'm trying to be proactive and not just focus on one speaker.
     
  19. GreshamH

    GreshamH Guest

    [quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=5889.msg74467#msg74467 date=1231957546]
    Yes. Looks like the 2007 regional swap drew in that much. Recall also though, that was the one we had all of the tongan mini colonies etc. I believe. Also bar footed all of the costs of the swap. In addition the swap was in Feb vs. August (part of the reason we are moving the regional swap back to Feb in 2010) and we were pretty much the only show in town as far as regional swaps and gas prices werent hovering at $4 per gallon.

    For 2008 the swap raffle revenue was $950 for the members swap and $1,121 for the regional swap. We did not come out of pocket for any swap related expenses as far as the regional swap went.
    [/quote]

    Not Tongan stuff, the operation wasn't off the ground yet and Jim was here for that one. I thought it was the one prior to that, 2006? IIRC the raffle had a lot of big ticket items in it (I helped with that event). Gas was $2 and we had over 250 attend. But that nothing really to do with my simple question you chose to delve deeper into. I just wanted to know if 100 was accurate and what the other members only had. No need to lay out reason upon reason why one will have more or less then the other ;) Keep giving me reasons though and I'll have to keep replying :lol: Tony had all ready answered my question in full before you replied :) His answer was totally suffice to me :)

    [quote author=tuberider link=topic=5889.msg74468#msg74468 date=1231957651]
    I understand Gresham and am not giving up on him that's why I left it wide open for him to pick the date, remember we're on the third try here. Also, I'm not going to settle for a local speaker when we have it in our budget to bring in two kick ass speakers a year. I'm trying to be proactive and not just focus on one speaker.
    [/quote]

    Third time :lol: I'm on month three with a few and I know them :) Like I said, call me....there's easier ways of going about this :)
     
  20. seminolecpa

    seminolecpa Past President

    Cmon, you know I love any excuse to rattle off numbers. Yes 100 should be pretty close to accurate from my estimation.
     

Share This Page