Reef nutrition

Joel's Tank Journal(s) "Mini Forum" For Discussions

JOEL'S TANK JOURNAL COMMENTS SECTION - JOEL'S TANK JOURNAL COMMENTS SECTION -

This is the thread for posts and comments relating to Joel's Tank Journal.

I am posting Joel's Tank Journals link below here, so you can navigate back and forth. I'll check both links to respond.

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/8161

Thank you for taking the time to refer to my Journal Page and making the efforts to toggle back and forth between both pages.

Happy reeefing.

Best,
Joel
Reef Keeper

Wish you the best with your goal. As Phong said, it is a PITA and it will likely result in less constructive dialog. It isnt bad to walk to your own beat, but just a stat for you: this dual format is the unique to you. Everyone's thread encourages dialog within their parent journal thread. gl!

I will be honest with you. It's a PITA to go back and forth between the two threads. I hope you will get response to your thread. :)

Well what I meant by a blog page is some weBLOG that you start on another site, its something where the editing of what is shown is left up to you. I understand exactly what you want to do, the thing is you can't restrict posting privileges to others, and telling them "not to post here" seems a bit snobbish. Now I do like the idea of organization, I can't remember the number of tank build threads I've seen over at RC that there were so many comments finding the actual building part got to be a bit difficult, but its the nature of the game (Message boards), you post, others post kudos/comments. Only real way you can get around that here would be to post in chunks... i.e. save all your building pictures wait until your done, then post, then people can comment, after a while the comments will die off then you can post another chunk when you reach another tank milestone, etc.

Joel, on your main thread, you "own" the most of page1 posts. How about this to keep your organization: Formalize any updates with date headers etc, and insert them consecutively into your first post. If you run out of space, then start inserting in to your new posts. Whenever you edit your post, it shows up as "updated" for everyone to see. This lets you control the density of your information and organization while letting others till comment :)

Tony's suggestion is pretty good.

The first post would be an index to all your new posts in your journal thread.

Everybody can zero in on the updates quickly, and all the other posts are still there for context.

You'd get the best of both approaches to tank journal threads.

Even if everybody has been doing it one way previously, we can still take advantage of innovations.

Thanks Guys. Those are good ideas: Thinking outside the box again. I love it. Much appreciated. Recently, I have tried idea #2 posting in bulk and I'm pretty content with that. Gotta Run.

See you on the boards.

BFN,
Joel

Update 09/02/09

Thanks Guys.

Tony, your suggestion seems like something I can handle better. I'll have to read it over again, but I get the jest of it..... Thx

Well, Im glad to see that some of the most important folks I know on the boards concur, so I'll have to take this heavily into consideration.

I'm sort of a neat freak and like to have things easily accessible and laid out nicely. Since you 3 seem to post me the most and I read your stuff alot, feel free to post on the Journal page and I'll sort through the other members comments when I need to check or re-adjust my lights or add new critters.

Your comments mean a lot to me, so thanks for your two cents. I was hoping my idea would have panned out, but like you guys say, this is what the forums are for. I am completely new to this sort of stuff, and I tend to be "right brained" in my daily ways, so it takes me a while to re adjust to new things and other peoples point of view. There always seems to be thread busters or thread hijackers (or whatever their called), but when they're folks like you and the comments are positive and constructive who can argue with that.

Thanks Guys for posting. Not sure what "a blog page" is, and if one can be start on the BARS board, or if the post referred to starting a blog off the BARS site. I wasn't real clear on that comment. If you care to add to your post, I'd be interested in learning more about that. You Guys are pounding the boards, so I'll take a lesson or two from you if you have the time and inclination.

For those who wish to continue posting on the Mini Forum. That's prefectly fine with me. I have both links on my desktop and bookmarked, so I'll be surfing around and posting back.

I hope you like what I'm doing. Since your commenting back, I take it that you're enjoying some of my efforts; and that feels really good.

Thank you.

Keep on reefing,
Joel
Reef Keeper

Thanks for peaking in: This is "Snarky," my alter ego on Distichopora Violacea (Purple Lace Coral)

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_251.jpg

Back