Neptune Aquatics

Joel's Tank Journal(s)

I used to have a bright orange one like yours, but it perished in the move. It's very aggressive for a Monti, if it cannot sting its neighbors it will out grow them for sure. It's a real nice intro to encrusting Montis as it is very forgiving unlike some of the others that I have kept.

Thanks Screebo

Nice to see your membership kicked in :0).

And yes: Some folks don't dose strontium or test for it either. I use supplements such as Kent's Coral-Vite, and Kent's Essential Elements which have strontium in it already along with other trace elements. I'm not really that concerned about it too much, but if I see skeletal abnormalities, I go right the Kent's straight strontium; and this is when I want to know what my level is. I haven't had those probs for a long time, so no worries here.

Happy reefing and diving too,
Joel

Click on each photo to enlarge and to get better detail

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/Acro Secale (Tri Color) IMG_3011.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/Atlantic Green Polyp ORA IMG_3014.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/C-Quarium Unkown 3 Shot IMG_3007.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/C-Quarium Unkown IMG_3006.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/Good Front Shot Loaded with B-nests IMG_2984.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/Green Slimer_Solomon Islands IMG_3004.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3010.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/Larry Johson in Foreground IMG_3000.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/Pink Birdnest IMG_3008.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/Ponape Tri color Tyree LE IMG_2996.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/Tank with B-nest Angel Shot IMG_2975.jpg

Bright Orange that sounds wicked good.

Yea. It looked hardy, I read Nedosas are peaceful, likes it bottom to middle on the reef with moderate flow and light. http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?ddid=68382&add=1&c=2733+2 .

Also, I came across this coral picture on the same site (picture attached) that looks like the ORA Atlantic Green Polyp B-nest you gave me.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/DiversDen/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+5&ddid=70419

They're calling it FHI Stylophora....

And, this last link, on the same site, shows a Secale (the mystery Acro) similar to the one you gave me, but with different colored polyps . So, I thought I would attach a photo and link. I love the one you gave me (it's got those killer yellow polyps that I dig.) The site says it prefers Strong Flow and Lighting, so I moved it uptown today. I'm not sure how much it's liking it. Let me know if I need to move it back down. (I'll use my observation skills and move it back down out of the halides and flow it it starts looking stressed tomorrow. http://www.liveaquaria.com/DiversDen/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+5&ddid=69938. It looks close, but I may be off-base.

BYW, I think that Turquoise Acro, I'm trying to ID is a frag off the Surf and Turf I purchased a couple of months ago from OTA. Just a hunch. Derek gave me the Nedosa and Acro in exchange for the Crocea....

Man he has this purple carpet that's got to be over 2 feet across. Here's the photo. It is hugh.

Star Date, I mean Reef Date - Captain's Log 09/04/09

Released the 2nd gen Quadracolor today into the Wild. Here is a photo of it. It's seems content in this spot and it has been in this flow and lighted area for more than a week (I think time goes fast)

The other photo is a shot from early this AM when we entered the into the Full Moon Phase. These R2 Dual Extremes from BestPetLighting.com, are on a microchip processor / controller and working like clockwork (good thing). I was concerned that they may be too bright on the Full Moon, but for my system they seem just fine.

Have a good Labor Day Weekend, Maybe I'll see some of you Reefers next Saturday in Old Sac.

Best,
Joel
reef keeper

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/082609-195-1.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/09-03-09_1417.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/090209-239.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3055_0.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3062_0.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3063.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3071_0.JPG

Hi Phong,

I have to pull the skimmer out of the sump to re-measure tomorrow, but it has this massive 3 inch collar/connector that couples off a 45 degree elbow from the skimmer pump head to the skimmer chaise. My plan is to go to HD (and probably elsewhere) till I find a fix such as yours. I think a pvc pipe with 2 compression fittings should do the trick.

Thank you for following my link and posting your suggestion. It good to see that great minds think alike. I think your post has helped me clarify the solution.

I'm sure you've heard it said about plumbing: " It usually takes three visits to the hardware store before you find the right fitting parts/solution" to paraphrase....

Happy Reefing and thanks again,
Joel

My advice for the pump, use a flexible pipe, you can always heat up the end and slip it over the end so it has a really tight fit. If you have any bends (i.e. it's not a straight shot) I'd not use the flexible to bend unless its really thick (like a spa-flex), but join the other end up with regular PVC (same tricks to get them together) and go into your skimmer. You can always use plastic clamps/zip ties if you're worried about the connection.

I happen to have a Sedra3500 (I think the impeller is shot on it though) and IIRC the output was a screw in fitting (slip on the outside) and that's exactly what I did to get it to hook up, simply heated up some flexible tube and It was good to go.

Update: 9/10/09

Strike the Baytec Barrel comments (made on the Phosphate link). I canceled my order with them. Not only are they not the best deal, but their sales practices leave little to be desired. Instead, I found brand spanking new HDPE 55 gallon barrels for $50 plus CA tax 8.5% & shipping (apx $45) Here is a link to their site-Christy has been great. http://www.qualservcontainer.com/catalog/i25.html. They are FDA and UN 1 H2/Y130s Complaint too.

Also, My Sedra 3500 Pump
arrived, but I could not plumb it today. :( It came with slip joints vs threaded connectors that wont link with my Octopus NW150 Skimmer. I'm going to try to modify it, but may have to return it and get the OEM instead. :tired: Any ideas / suggestions are welcomed. I'm thinking: Locate a 3/4" OD connector with slip on one side and threads on the other. I don't recall seeing something like this, but the quest continues for the perfect bubbles maker. In my defense, in the picture, it was hard to tell if if was slip or threaded joint.

A couple of good things could be said: It's super quite, fairly compact, and while testing it, it push a strong flow of water (apx 350 gph without being connected to anything) I can see why folks like it so much.

Late Note
: Got the slip joint with threads to plumb Sedra pump, but suction power on 3500 was not enough to make the skimmer go, or the purchase worth it, so I'm returning it to Marine Depot and sticking with the original pump and replacing the Needle Wheel Impeller, if I can find one for the OTP 2000. I think Coral Vue bought out Reef Octopus Skimmers and turbine pumps. I keep e mailing Coral Vue, but they never answer back (this has been going on all year) The search for perfect bubbles continues....

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/AG1633_1.jpg

Hey Mike,

Jeremy and I figured a sure fire fix, but once connected, it did not draw enough to fire skimmer, so it's back to Marine Depot. I just posted to this thread, about trying to reach Coral Vue to get a new needle wheel impeller, but they never e mail back.

I love your solution, but found a slip joint with threads that accepted the connector and flange to chaise, and was certain it would do the trick, but to no avail, so the Sedra is going back. Too bad, as these pumps get great ratings, not sure why it wouldn't make bubbles (seemed underpowered).

Don't trouble your self on this one. I'll try to find a new OTP 2000 impeller for the existing pump doing a Google Search. Just found one on Aqua Cave and Custom Aquatics, but both are temporally out of stock.... :X

Have a good weekend. If you're going to Sacramento Saturday for the swap, I'll keep my eye out for you.

Best,
Joel

Hey Joel, great pics. It looks like you picked up some nice pieces! I am glad you had such a great time and met so many people. Hopefully your wife can make it out next time. I have found this hobby to be full of friendly people from all walks of life and I have met some great friends through this hobby. :bigsmile:

Hi Kay,

Glad you like the pictures; I'll try to get them on the MARS site shortly.

Susan will try to make it to the next MARS / BARS event. Susan doesn't sleep well, and we were not able to make plans ahead of time for our pets.

I'm glad to have met you and the MARS folks, and we are looking forward to building relationships, growing our knowledge of this challenging yet rewarding hobby and promote good reef husbandry along the way.

Thank you for following my posts and for your comments too. It means a lot to me and makes all the efforts worth it.

Best,
Joel

Hey Shasta12399,

I knoooow. I was hoping to get the Purple and Green Acan that was on the swap table, but it went on the Tier 1 First Round. So, when this one came up on the raffle, and I was able to trade with Patrickb, (?) (really not sure who, as it's all a blur to me now) :tired: I was soooo stoked. I just know that my wish was granted that day, as I've had this Acathastrea Lordhowensis (I think it's Snake Skin or Crazy Grape) on the very top of my list for the past year and a half. I still can't believe it's in my tank. Wow.

Thank you for following my posts and for keeping in touch.

I'm glad you scored those Bartletts too. Sweet. :santa:

Best,

RK / jc

These are pictures of the Purple Snake Skin and Crazy Grape. I'm not sure if I have either of these. I dig the name Purple Snake Skin because it looks a lot like the frag I have (so I'm going to go with that till some one corrects me) Also, I'm going to reach out to the fragger -"Reef-A-Holic" to find out for sure. H) Either way, I'm very happy how this all came about, the new acquaintances I'm making and fun I'm having along the way..... Thx man.

The first photo is Purple S.S. .

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/tn_crazy_grapes_acan001.JPG_.jpeg /attachments/sites/default/files/tn_purple_snakeskin_aussie_acan001.JPG_.jpeg

Joel, you old dog.............leave it to you to scout out the best deal in town for us that love to mix our own water in large containers! I've been using a rubbermaid "brute" and fighting hair algae for a while. My water changes may have been contributing to, rather than helping cure my nuisance algae (dam-mit). I had considered a food grade container and only found REAL expensive industrial ones.
I called them right away and ordered one. Too bad I was slow on the draw, or we could have split shipping. :D

Good call, Mate.

Phosphate Notes (from previous post) & New 55 Gallon HDPE Barrel Notes:

RubberMaid Containers, and the likes, leech out phosphates from the plastic after a short period of time. If you are mixing and storing your salts in such containers you may want to consider using High Density Polyethylene. The material is FDA and USDA complaint and should help reduce phosphates from this unexpected source. The best deal I found is Baytec Containers: They have reconditioned 55 gallon drums with opened tops and covers for $79 (smaller sizes are available too) and no shipping which will save you a bunch. Check with one of our sponsors, as they may have something smaller at a good price too.
You can always try using the toothbrush on your live rock as this type of algae seems common on new set ups which are early in their cycles and will go away with good feeding habits and 5% water changes twice a week. My experience with non-live sand is that it creates a lot of diatom blooms for the first month or two and then levels off. It' best to let the diatoms cycle through and not freak out and clean the sand a lot unless you start getting cyno. I understand that diatoms compete with cyano, so the diatoms should keep the cyano in check (just giving you a heads up) Here's the link to Baytec http://www.bayteccontainers.com/55galoppldr.html
Good luck.

Update: 9/10/09

Strike the Baytech comments. I canceled my order with them. Not only are they not the best deal, but their sales practices leave little to be desired. Instead, I found brand spanking new HDPE 55 gallon barrels for $50 plus tax 8.5% & shipping (apx $48) Here is a link to their site-Kristie has been great. http://www.qualservcontainer.com/catalog/i25.html. They are FDA and UN 1H2/Y130s Complaint too.

Update 09/16/09

55 Gallon HDPE Barrel arrived today, as promised; and it is totally awesome. http://www.qualservcontainer.com/catalog/i25.html and Kristie have been great; they have exceeded my expectations.

Drum update:
FedEx lost my da@n drum (how often does that happen?) so Christy at Qualserv is senting out a new one. When I called to follow up on it, she replyed that I should have received it over a week ago. The new drum will ship out of SO Cal and will arrive by Wednesday if all goes well. I'll be needing to mix water by then who I sure hope so!

Bummer: Probably not very often; but it seems like Kristie is taking good care of matters. Mine arrived in less than a week from So Cal (3 working days I think it was). How something that large gets lost is beyond my me too.

Best to you and Nikki

Back