Kessil

Joel's Tank Journal(s)

Lyn said:
We are all learning. ... I guess it is just part of the technological world we live in. :)

Hi Lyn,

Those are pearls of Wisdom, and are literally words I can live by. I'm feeling a little lighter in my steps right now.

Thank you for your perspective and insights. 0:)

New Corals Added Updated 11/01/09

Total Coral Count (so far) Including 3 Mushroom Colonies is 54 (36 SPS, 12 LPS, 1 Sponge-Clam-Toad Stool, 3 Shroom colonies)

These are some new corals added since last update. Now that the Flame Angel is on a new adventure, I am ready to have the full polyp extension experience.

Newest Additions

Alien Eye Chalice (looks like Blueberry with green eyes AEC)
Pink Prostrata
Red Encrusting Montipora
Tridacna Derasa Clam
Echinopora Lamellosa (Blue Chalice with magenta eyes -Possible Steve Tyree LE can't say without help)

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3879.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3882.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3893.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3899.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3902.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3915.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3926.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3936.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3941.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3942.JPG

11/10/09 Coral Update

Corals Added and First Frags Made For DBTC. John's two additions brings the total number of SPSs under my care to 38.

Dr. Screebo, AKA "Cowboy Fragger," came by today to drop off the 2 DBTC Frags he posted on the SPS DBTC boards. (pictures below)

The Good Doctor also brought his heavy duty bone cutters and fragged a few pieces for me to break the ice on the DBTC boards.

Things went mostly smoothly on all accounts, and Screebo's Echinopora start putting out its sweepers, this evening during feeding. John told me I have a lot of "real estate and the corals are well thought out and placed, so they can grow out without touching anything else in the aquarium," so I'm being encouraged to grow out more corals.... Whoppee.

You can believe John when he says Two Fishies epoxy is the best, the frags mounted with ease, whereas my green epoxy just crumbled and did not adhere as well as Two Fishies.

The first two are John's DBTC Frags I was award, and the other photos are the DBTC SPS Frags I'm putting in.

One - Blue Formosa Awarded to Screebo
One - Surf and Turf Green Acropora
Two - Blue Tip Green Staghorn
Acroporas

My first DIY Frag Rack

Added 11/10/09 DBTC Frags to Track for DBTC Program. Thank you John

Pearl Berry and Vivid Fire Fly Echinopora
Photos under actinics

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_4011.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_4018.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_4028_0.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_4029.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_4031.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_4035.JPG

Don't try to make the tank look better before the tour or for anything else....I my experience when I try to change things too fast because I want to make it looks good usually something bad happens. If you change anything do it slowly where you can watch it. That my 2 cents, if it look good now, just do a cleaning before anyone comes over.

GreshamH said:
Better yet... have the tour help you clean it :)

It's funny you say that. I was going to make that a condition of my DBTC offering. Just kidding. But the thought did cross my mind.

Apon said:
...In my experience when I try to change things too fast because I want to make it looks good usually something bad happens.

It's funny you should say that. I have a rule: I am not allowed to place my hand/s in the tank 1 week before leaving town - with the exception to clean acrylic; and even then I don't do the back or sides.... You're advise is good. Yesterday, Screebo was over to help me frag some pieces and to drop off a couple of pieces too. I did a 25 gallon water change an hour before he arrived, so it would look nice- no problems there. I'm an old hand at maintenance, and I do my W/Cs from the sump, so no reaching into the tank is needed.

Thanks for following my threads and posting back. You folks are tops in my book; and always glad when you chime in. Very much appreciated.

Special Shout Out To Screebo ;) . Thank you for the image instructions. I was wondering to how show better formatted photos here. Now that I've dusted off the tripod, I've taken my photos to a "whole new level." Thanks again.
Happy reefing,
Joel

Gentleman Farmer at work. Hehee :bigsmile: More to follow on this. Just dusted of my tripod, shame on me for not taking and posting photos with tripod. You'll notice a big difference going forward-especially the Macro shots. Wow. What a difference.

IMG_4095.jpg

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_4051.JPG

Jeremy's Ponape Birds Nest - Night Shot

This is a frag, from Jeremy, that I've been growing out the past few months. I took this photo before retiring for the evening to see what sort of results I could achieve without any natural or artificial light (just the flash from the camera). I feel it was met with good results and really shows off the brilliant colors of the Ponape. Thank you Jeremy for trusting me to grow this beauty out. :bigsmile:

Ponape Before(far left side) As Of 09/01/09
IMG_2996.jpg

Ponape After
- 11/13/09
IMG_4148.jpg

New Photos Using Tripod 11/11/09

Used P mode 0 Exposure, Auto ISO, 1/3 Flash, Diffuser, Zoom @ 3x, Fluorescent Lighting mode, Center Weighted Average

Gentleman Farmer - Will answer to Mountain Man Pruner

IMG_4051.jpg

Maricultured Blue Formosa Mother Colony After Hard Fragging - Ouchie Mama

Check out Jeremy's Screaming Green Birds Nest Jeremy said it's Really ORA Atlantic Green Polyp B. Nest.

IMG_4074.jpg

Check out JAR's Rainbow Monti-Still a bit on the brown side, Patrick B's Blue Oregon Tort and Sreebo's Pearl Berry

IMG_4090.jpg

DYI Frag Rack

IMG_4078.jpg

Blue Formosa, Baby Blue Tip Green Staghorn and Surf and Turf Acropora Frags made this afternoon and photographed with tripod.

Okay. Now to fix my DBTC Threads....

WooHoo

Favia - Day Feeding

I just had to attach this photo I took the other day. Now that I'm taking my photo skills to the next level, I shot this photo of my Favia I bought from Chris at Central Aquatics last year. In this photo, you can see the Favia opening up to feed. It usually feeds in the evening, but has started feeding after the Halides come on. It use to send out medium long sweeper, but hasn't done so for months; not sure why.

IMG_4102.jpg

Alien Eye Chalice - Day Feeding

IMG_4162.jpg

D&D Salts H2Ocean Notes 11/07/09

Okay. I have two buckets of this stuff sitting in my garage along with a bucket of Seachem's Reef Salts that I've been using the past couple of months with very good results (except for the pasty residue clinging to my nice new poly ethylene food grade 50 gallon mixing barrel). Now that the barrel was down to 3 gallons or so, I decided to clean it out and mix the D&D H20 salts. I would have mixed them sooner, but I haven't been getting super good feedback from folks (no one ever gave any specific reasons), so I decide to see for myself, seeing that I paid for them and they were just sitting there.

I went onto some other reef blogs today that I found after doing a search for D&D, none of which I've come across before over the years. And I have to say that while the feed back wasn't as good as I hoped for, I did notice that the D&D Rep was following the club members' post and I believe the Rep had some valid responses. I decided to mix the salts to see what my experience would be, and I was pleasantly surprised at my findings this far. Forgot to mention that none of the posts mentioned anything about burning or RTN'ng: Thank Goodness.

I can say that these are the first salts that I used that have actually made NSW just following their instructions. BTW, they have very cool instructions even though they use metric, they also give clear Imperial instructions and other interesting info.

I can honestly say that I had to use less salt than I have with any other salts I've used in the past decade. Even though these salts are made my the same folks that make Red Sea Pro, I did not have the same bad experience with the D&D salts. That is to say, the RSP salts did not melt as quickly as the D&D did. The D&D salts melted so fast in 30 gallons of water, that they didn't even touch the bottom of the barrel. I was amazed.

I used exactly 20 cups in 30 gallons of R/O heated to a temperature of 77 degrees Fahrenheit / 25 degrees Celsius, and my properly calibrated refractometer at 60 degrees F. registered a SG of 1.0265 with a Sal. of 35.5- WOW nailed it without having to tweak it.

Okay for the test results (could not measure heavy metals such as boron-don't have kits for heavy metals) so I'll keep some Poly Filter near by before doing the actual w/c.

Alk 10.2
CA 450
MG 1440
PH 8.4
No3 0
PO4 0
N02 0
NH3/4 0
SI02 0 diatoms like silica but so do sponges too. Here's a interesting link to Randy Holmes-Farley, PH.D. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2003/feature.htm

D&D says their ALK is 9.3, CA 440, MG 1340.

I used Salifert's ALK and MG test kits and Seachem's CA Test kit all of which have been very accurate. I even used the reference fluid that comes with the kits and well as using the Club's Refractometer Calibration fluid too.

These reading IMO are pretty close and respectable. My Drew's dosers
are keeping my ALK between 9 and 10.2 and CA between 400 and 460 depending on the time of day I take my readings.

I have the salts aerating and will probably let them do so for 48 hours instead of the 24 hours suggested.

I want my tank at its best before the Club Members tour my tank on December 6th, but I plan to change only 15 gallons at a time so not to shock my critters. I don't think they will, but since I haven't used them before I want to tread easily.

I'll update this sometime next week, once I change out some water. I think I am going to be just as pleased with the results I get in the tank as I have been this far in the process.

Update 11/18/09

Well 10 days have past, and I am happy to report that I am realizing excellent results with the D & D H2Ocean salts. The corals seem happy as I'm seeing better polyp extension then ever before. While I realize the absence of the Flame Angel is helping the corals keep their polyps, I know and can see the salts are making a noticeable difference.

Yesterday, I mixed 30 gallons of Seachem's Reef Salt, and I'll change out 15-20 gallons to see what sort of results I get, so as to compare the two. While I am enjoying the benefits of the H2Ocean, they are expensive pound for lb., even though I'm using less of them. So, I hope I'll see similar benefits of the Seachems's salts in the absence of the Flame Angel, as the cost of Seachem's Reef Salt is more affordable at this point in time.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3935.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3986.JPG

Corals Added Update - November 14, 2009 This brings the total SPSs to 40 under management

I've added 2 new corals from the DBTC that were cared for by Seminolecpa.

Blue Tenuis
Acro. Austera (blue)

Pictures to follow shortly

Thank you Seminolcpa / Bryan

This one is royal pita. :X

It keeps the sand clean yea! but it knocks over everything in its way. I came home after 3 days to find things being ran-sacked.

10/02/09

Okay. I'm over my new critter ran-sacking. I think the Goby is settling in too.

I just got my Bulk Reef Supply of Chemicals and pumps today, so now I have to go back to the BRS site and figure out the dosing formulas etcetera. Hopefully, Ill have them set up this weekend.

Just mixed 3 gallons in total. 1 CA, 1 MG, 1 ALK. Took about an hour, but next time should be much quicker now that I am developing a system. I hope these chemicals aren't going to kill me, or cause cancer or something. I don't see any warnings or comments about wearing masks, but I think the next batch I'll wear a mask and maybe latex gloves. Next, it's time to mount the pumps, set the timers and let the dosing begin.

Update 10/04/09

Drew's Peristaltic Dosers Plumbed
Both CA and ALK are dispensing at the rate of 0.5 Ounces or 14.79 Milliliters per 10 minutes. Now it's time to set timers for dosing correct amounts. Need to talk to BRS on Monday for fine tuning these babies. Note: Timer Batteries were replaced on 10/04/09 replace again in 12 months.

10/06/09 (Note: Had to revise schedule do to over dosing. See 10/10/09 Update)

Initial Dosing Instructions and Schedule per Ryan at BRS

Note: pump is dosing approximate 14.79 ml (0.5 oz) every 10 minutes

Dose 100 ml or 3.382 oz daily for each CA and ALK after both containers are emptied dump 20 oz of the MG mix into sump

This works out to approximately 23 minutes (22.5 mins) 3 times per day for both CA and ALK. Dose the Calcium during the day and Alkalinity (baking soda) in the evening when PH tends to decrease.

Formula

23 (mins) . 3 (cycles) = 69 minutes (daily)
69 (mins) / 10 (minute) calibration time) = 6.9
6.9 . 14.79 ml = 102.03 ml (total amount dosed daily)

or

14.79 / 10 = 1.479 ml per minute

100 ml / 1.479 ml per minute = 67.61 minutes per day of dosing

67.61 mins / 3 times per day = 22.5 min cycles

Timers set for 3 times per day at 23 minutes will dose 102.03 ml daily to start.

Recheck parameters every day or two and adjust timers to maintain CA @ 425 and DKH at 9

115 Gallon System is using:
approximately 100 ppm of CA every 7 days
1 DKH every day
100 ppm of MG every 7 days

According to BRS Calculator, dKh of 9 requires CA level of 425 ppm.

To raise 1 dKh from 8 to 9 Dosing 230ml
of Recipe #1 is required (7.7 fl oz; 46 tsp) Currently dosing 102.03 ML daily
so to get 230 ml dosing should be 155.5 mins or 51.83 minutes 3 times per day

To Raise 100 ppm of CA weekly BRS Calculates 1177 ml
of Receipt #1ml is required (39.8 fl oz; 235.4 tsp)
so to raise 100 ppm weekly = 37.89 mins 3 times per day (1177 / 7 = 168.14 / 1.479 = 113 / 3 = 37.89 min)

To Raise 100 ppm of MG weekly BRS Calculates 927.4 ml
of 1 Gallon Jug of Premixed Mag Solution is required (31.3 fl oz; 185.4 tsp)
so to raise 100pm weekly = 1 qt of mix every week
( that seems like a lot) According to Ryan it is: "System should be using 10 to 1 CA to MG" (I'm needing 1 to 1 per week and don't know why :quest: )
Follow Up:
Discovered Seachem's MG Test kit is off 175 ppm
according to reference. Seachem's ph# 888-732-2436. Salifert Kits on the way from Marine Depot.

10/06/09 Current Dosing Schedule

Alkalinity

12:00 AM - 12:23 AM
3:00 AM - 3:23 AM
6:00 AM - 6:23 AM

Calciumstrong>
12:00 PM -12:23 PM
3:00 PM - 3:23 PM
6:00 pm - 6:23 PM

10/10/09 Dosing Schedule Changed

Reduced schedule for both ALK and CA because KH consistently 12.8 (according to new Saifert test kit vs 9-10dKh on API's kit) CA has been ranging 450-480. Will keep retesting untilled dialed in to dKh of 9 and CA of 425)

New Schedule Is As Follows:

Alkalinity

12:00 AM - 12:16 AM
3:00 AM - 3:16 AM
6:00 AM - 6:16 AM

Calcium

12:00 PM - 12:20 PM
3:00 PM - 3:20 PM
6:00 PM - 6:20 PM

Logic: to lower ALK 29% from 12.8 to 9.088, I needed to reduce dose by 29% and to lower CA from 480 to 425, I need to lower dose by 11.5%. Given this new schedule, I will be using 4 minutes more of CA than Alk. That translates into 4 mins (more CA) x 3 times per day or 12 mins x 1.479 ML (dose dispensed per minute) over 30 days = 532 ML per month or 17.99 OZ (532 / 3.382). Therefore, CA will expire 17.99 OZs before ALK in a 128 OZ (1 GAl) container

Furthermore: Since Dosing Containers hold 128 OZ of Solution and CA is dosed @ 1.479 ML (per min) x 20.3 minutes 3 times per day or 90 ML per day. 1 gallon (128 OZ / 3.382) = 3784.2 ML. 3784.2 / 90ML per day = 41.7 days of dosing CA vs 16 x 1.479 x 3 (70ML per day) equals 54 days of ALK dosing for a difference of 12.3 days.

In conclusion:
At this current rate CA will run out 12.3 days sooner than ALK (or apx 2 weeks sooner). Talk to BRS to figure out how to dose MG since rates ALK/CA rates wont be the same

I HOPE THIS IS THE LAST TIME I HAVE TO ADJUST THE DOSAGES :tired:

10/12/09 Dosing Schedule Changed Again.
I think I got it right this time.

Both Calcium and Alkalinity dose 3 times per day for 15 minutes each.

Alk

12:00AM - 12:15AM
3:00AM - 3:15AM
6:00AM - 6:15AM

CA

12:00PM - 12:15PM
3:00PM - 3:15PM
6-00PM - 6:15PM

Readings have been coming out KH 9.6 CA 432 MG 1350 past couple of days. According to Reef Chemistry Calculator, KH @ 9.6 CA should be 429. Close enough at 432. :) Recheck in a couple of days.

10/28/2009 Update

10/19/2009 Reduced schedule for CA and ALk Dosing to 10 minutes each 3 times per day.

Readings on ALK have been between 9.6 - 10.4 (closer to 10.4 since the 10/29) using Salifert's test kit; and CA readings have been 435 to 450 using Seachem's CA test kit. These readings do fluctuate daily, but are within the acceptable range per Ryan at Bulk Reef Supply.

11/23/09 Two Part Dosing Update

Both gallon containers went dry today. That makes it 48 days of continuos uninterrupted dosing.
My equipment and tank back does not get overgrown with coralline algae like it use to. KH consistently stays at 10.2 and CA consistently reads 440. I'm a happy reefer. Two part is the best. Thanks Jeremy another great suggestion.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3741.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3777.JPG

New Coral Update 11/24/09

Coral/s Added
LE Ponape Torch Stag Acropora

This brings the total number to 39 SPSs under management.

So, today we had beautiful weather out, so I fired up my Voyager and headed down to Eight's place to pick up a frag - LE Ponape Torch Stag. I was really blown away by the artistry, beauty, set up and commitment this member has for this hobby. I was humbled to no end, and am, once again, reminded that there is so much beauty and diversification in these specimens and the oceans have to offer, and how much enjoyment, finances and pride go along with this hobby- if it can be called that. I'm very appreciative of the folks who welcome me into their homes, share the love of what they do, and the Club for giving me an opportunity to learn, grow, meet neat people, have fun and care for my critters better. Thank you.

This photo isn't the actual one I picked up (the frag I have is much smaller) and a picture of the one I have is forthcoming.

limitededition_ponapetorchstag_colo.jpg

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/20kW-gray.jpg

Very nice frags and great growth of the ponape birdnest. Great buy on the generator. If only there was a system like it for people that rented. I was thinking a fuel cell system that could power heater and pump and small light. I would be happy for something like that.

Most cheap UPS's use a modified sign wave which is bad for pumps, heaters, etc. Be aware of this when looking at UPS options.

adolfo425 said:
I was thinking a fuel cell system that could power heater and pump and small light. I would be happy for something like that.

Hi Adolfo. Thank you for your comments and for following my posts. I hear you loud and clear.

Your idea about a fuel cell is great thinking and seems way outside the box too. I recommended this propane generator (see link below) to Screebo that is super clean burning and quiet too. Screebo purchased it for his condo on the 3rd floor; and he's thrilled with it. I've been researching generators for the past 5 or more years, so I've done my homework. In the meantime, if you have or get a back up UPS system, you should be able to power some small (low wattage) items for several hours.

We get bad weather on the coast, and I need the generator to switch on automatically when I'm away from the house.

Here is the propane generator (2400 watts / 53db @ 1/4 load) link if you're interested.... http://www.centralmainediesel.com/order/07679.asp?page=Y07679

From looking at Belkins website there is zero mention of it being a pure sine wave and not modified. I suspect since they do not advertise it, it's a modified sine wave. That means its fine for electronic equipment like computers and such, but ones to don't use any power conversion (ac/dc) will overheat and quite possibly ruined. With the modified sine wave you loose part of the sine wave. A pump may run for a while but in the long run it could very well harm it. It also may not start up amongst other problems.

GreshamH said:
Most cheap UPS's use a modified sign wave which is bad for pumps, heaters, etc. Be aware of this when looking at UPS options.

+1

Terrific point.

I've been using a Belkin Pure AV power management system. While it's large, 78 lbs, I trust it to power even my most sensitive equipment; and it been trouble free coming up on three years. It's designed for theater equipment, but in black outs, I run it to my system to power necessary components. Here is a nice unit that is on sale now http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-PureAV-AVU1500-PureFilter-Technology/dp/B000T9FC32, and it may be worth looking at.

Gresham, Tony or some of our scientific minded members may be able to point some pluses or minuses out about using this type of solution for your specific applications as I'm not the most scientific person to have this type of discussion with.

However, that being said, I chose the Generac 20KW unit for my whole house solution primarily on the fact that it had "True Power Technology" (Low Harmonic Distortion and Sine Wave Form) which produces < 5% Total Harmonic Distortion, plus it has Automatic Voltage Regulation variance which is plus or minus 2%. http://www.generac.com/SpecSheets/0181630SBY.pdf

AP Electric.com has the best deals going on these - for those of you reading this that can support a whole house unit.... http://www.apelectric.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=5744&CartID=1

Thank you for following and for posting. I can' think of a more important subject discussion to have at this time of the year. I hope my years of searching for these types of solutions helps others, and that they are applicable solutions to these sorts of applications.

Happy Reefing,
Reef Keeper - Joel

Sine Wave Links:

http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/SP/SP.764/imagegallery/lab5/3.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sine_wave

LIGHTING SCHEDULE - As of 09/09 Note *Modified T5 and SVHO off times on 01/18/10

T5
ON 9:00AM OFF 12:00PM
ON 7:00PM OFF 11:00PM *(chg'd off time from 10pm to 11pm on 01/18/10)

(Installed 03/16/08 - Change 12/20/09)

SVHO

ON 10:00AM OFF 1:15PM
ON 7:00PM OFF 010:00PM *
(Chg'd off time from 9pm to 10 pm on 01/18/10)

(Installed both 03/01/09 - Change 09/01/10 should be good for 18mos per JF)

Metal Halides

Right Side
ON 12:00PM OFF 7:00PM

Left Side
ON 12:15PM OFF 7:15PM

(Installed both 08/20/09- Change 04/20/10)

R2 150MHA Dual Extreme Lunar Lighting

ON 09:00PM OFF 3:00AM

(Installed 08/28/09 - Replace 100,000 hours probobaly in 54 yrs)

Fuge Light

On 12:00AM OFF 08:00AM

(Installed 08/26/09 - Replace 08/26/10 with 5500K-6500K Compact Florescent unit sold @HD per JF)

TOTALY COMMITTED-OR SHOULD I BE COMMITTED :santa:

Okay. So after researching and waiting over 5 years to get a generator and transfer switch, yesterday, I bit the proverbially bullet and put my money on the table (saleperson's and contractor's pocket) for this new Generac Guardian 20Kw home power system.

http://www.generac.com/Residential/Guardian/Products/Guardian_Series_20_kW/

It's Model Number 5477 with a 200amp ATS service rated transfer switch unit just like this one.
http://www.apelectric.com/5744-Generac-Guardian-Generator-20kW-p/5744.htm

After installation, permits and PCG hookup the cost will exceed the cost of the generator itself. $) Oh well, that's the price I'm willing to pay to keep my family and critters alive and comfortable. :love: The unit should arrive next week, then 2 days for hook ups and we'll be ready to face Winter's wrath here on the coast. :evil:

I went with this unit and this company http://www.aaaagen.com/guard/installation.htm to do the "Turn Key" install for a number of reasons, which I will go more into those details as the days move along and I get questions. This is a system that is 100% built in the US of A and is the only thing Generac manufactures (refreshing).

More to follow.

Reef Log 11/27/09 Update

Second appointment confirmed for generator installation to begin on 12/1/09
@ 8AM. :santa: I can see the fish and corals jumping for joy already :love:

See 01/22/10 Journal Update.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/20kW-gray_2.jpg

Back