High Tide Aquatics

Joel's Tank Journal(s)

I like the shot of the smart gas meter with all zeroes.
Once the Generac kicks on I'm guessing that will change at a rapid pace.
How noisy is it?
Nice install!

ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) Photos

IMG_4801.jpg

IMG_4785.jpg

IMG_4786.jpg

IMG_4796.jpg

IMG_4798.jpg

IMG_4800.jpg

Reef Log Date 01/22/10

All righty now....

Well after a couple of months of pulling permits, setting appointments, getting inspections, getting Cal Fire and the County to sign off on plans, and waiting for parts, our generator is online; and it's working flawlessly. Upon start up, the generator didn't burn out any of our electronic equipment, trip any breakers or have any other unwanted surprises!. :) :D :bigsmile:

Tomorrow, Saturday, we're putting the last finishing touches on this project. We're installing an Earthquake Gas Shut Off valve and will finish patching the stucco. :party:

We had the most dramatic weather on the Coast than we've experienced in nearly 30 years of living here. Fortunately, we did not lose power during the past week of 65 mph winds, 5 inches of rain, hail, lighting, and thunder storms. While other houses were with out power in the community, I was stressing that we would lose our power too, and our tank mates would suffer from the many delays in completing this project. As faith would have it, and it was miraculous, we did not lose power.

Now that the generator is online, there is nothing for us to worry about going forward. There is more stormy weather forecasted for us, so maybe we'll get a chance to use our generator. With my luck, now that we have the generator, we wont ever get a black out and never have a chance to use it - (just like buying an extended warranty)

My thanks to Don Nunley of Nunley Construction and Michael Chiasson of AAAA Generators (if you use AAAA and Don, please tell them you heard about them from Joel), Elias Guerrero PG&E Project Manager and the PG&E Team, my wife Susan for her patience and support and lastly to the Fish Gang for hanging in there with us. We would recommend Nunley Construction and AAAA Generators for this project if I had to do it again.
Thank God I wont have to any time soon, as I expect this equipment to last approximately 30 years with proper care and yearly maintenance.

IMG_4658.jpg

IMG_4657.jpg

IMG_4673.jpg

IMG_4712.jpg

IMG_4714.jpg

IMG_4731.jpg

IMG_4732.jpg

IMG_4738.jpg

IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_4755.jpg

IMG_4759.jpg

JAR said:
How noisy is it?
Nice install!

Thanks for noticing and for your comments too. :glasses:

I thought that photo told 100 vs 1000 words too. You're right about the meter soon to be spinning too.

The unit is rated at 66 dbs @ 7 meters running at full load (3600 RPMs) and 60 db in the "whisper quite" exercise mode. That is suppose to be the db level of a normal conversation. However, I have to say that even at 60 dbs, it hums quite a bit, but doesn't vibrate at all. That is in part because it's 4' off an 8' high fence that is bouncing the sound off the fence and back onto the concrete pad. The County has an < 85db noise requirement that I believe I'll pass on final inspection, but I am looking into making a couple of baffles to deflect the noise. I've placed some tall bamboo plants behind it to help reflect the sound to start with. The unit is definitely quieter than our other neighbor's gas generator which we can here it from two lots over.

Note: My understanding is that generators this size and up run at 73 dbs or louder. I think it will take a little time for us and possibly our neighbor to get use to it, but they haven't mentioned anything to us yet. This will be sort of payback for the past 12 years of their kids blasting gangster rap music at full bass - shaking our walls and glass. Their kids still live there but are grown up now. They're better neighbors, so we're hoping we can keep it that way. The contractor suggested letting them tap into the built in GFCI plug on the generator. If the noise bothered them, access to energy might change their feelings towards the unit. On your property, the noise would be a non issue as the unit's hum is synchronized / harmonically balanced.

This 20kw unit is rated at 294,000 BTUs and draws 5 to 7 inches of water column (.18-.25 psi). At 1/2 load it pulls 206 cubic ft of natural gas per hour, and at full load 294 cubic ft per hr. I was surprised to learn that running on natural gas only lets the generator max out at 18kw vs liquid propane which puts out the full 20k.

Since our house runs on electric, the gas usage to cost factor to run the generator should prove to be worth the overall expense. I'm told that the meter's base rate is $3 per month for the time I'm not running the gas. Since I have to "exercise the generator" 12 minutes per week at half load / 1800 rpms, it will be of interest to me to see what that translates into $$ and cents.

In any event, we're now free to travel the winters again without the worry of the losing our critters in the event of a power outage; and that is a hugh relief. 0:)

Note to Self: Unit puts out maximum of 75 amps but only for a few minutes (enough time to power down some appliances such as the dryer or range). Manufacturer recommends running, continuously, a maximum of 60 amps to avoid damaging the generator.

IMG_4773.jpg

IMG_4806.jpg

IMG_4769.jpg

IMG_4776.jpg

IMG_4767.jpg

IMG_4780.jpg

IMG_4781.jpg

Hey Joel,

Good meeting you the other day. Tank looks fantastic. Quite a project you have going with the generator, glad it looks like things are working out.

Talk to you later, keep in touch.

-Curtis

misterchinn said:
Hey Joel,

Good meeting you the other day. Tank looks fantastic. Quite a project you have going with the generator, glad it looks like things are working out.

Talk to you later, keep in touch.

-Curtis

Hi Curtis,

The feeling is mutual. I'm always glad to meet someone who gives of themselves to help shape the minds of our youth in a good way.

Thank you for taking the time to view my Tank Journal and for your comments. I appreciate them.

The generator install was completed and signed off by the county on Thursday; the fire department will be out on Tuesday to give their blessings.

I look forward to following the progress you and your class make with the biology project; and will be sure to follow some of your threads.

Also, I hope your new Torch Coral is settling in nicely, and that you found those copepods proliferating in your system with the lights off as we discussed at the lfs .

I'm going to miss being at the Regional Frag Swap, so I look forward to hearing about it and finding out about the goodies you come away from it with....

Happy Reefing
Joel

screebo said:
So..........guess you aren't movin' for a while. ;)

Probably not: It's paid for.... If we did move, the new owners will appreciate having it too. We lose our power a few times a year, as you may have experienced living here in the 'hood. ;)

Reef Keeper said:
Mostly for the kritters, that is. As you may know, Susan, the original Elli May Clampet (sp?), is largely all about being good to the critters- including me. 0:)

Didn't know that! Pretty nice :D

Congrats on the install
thumb.gif

Mr. Ugly said:
Reef Keeper said:
Mostly for the kritters, that is. As you may know, Susan, the original Elli May Clampet (sp?), is largely all about being good to the critters- including me. 0:)

Didn't know that! Pretty nice :D

Congrats on the install
thumb.gif

Yea. ;) That's how she rolls. :love:
IMG_0713.jpg

Thank you Sir. H) I appreciate you checking in and commenting too. :glasses:

I'm getting ready to post some updated aquarium photos, so you may want to check back a little later on. :bigsmile:

Hope you're well, and I'm looking forward to catching up with you out there. 0:)

Reef Keeper

yardartist said:
That little setosa frag is growing. Wow. Very nice tank.

Thanks. I know.... My tank's been on steroids since I put those Drew's 2 part dosing pumps in. I've been getting fantastic growth. I hardly have to check for CA and ALK anymore, as it's always dead on (430 / 10.4). It seems real happy there. By this time next year, I should have enough to frag back to DBTC.

Thanks,
Joel

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3777_1.JPG

Updated Tank Photos 01/30/10

BEFORE
5350_15_07_09_2_58_36JPG.jpg

These are some photos of frags and photos to show how the reef is florishing.

A special "Thanks" to those who've trusted me to grow out their frags and those I continue to learn from....

AFTER

IMG_4940.jpg

IMG_4941.jpg

IMG_4959.jpg

IMG_4961.jpg

IMG_4964.jpg

IMG_4973.jpg

IMG_4975.jpg

IMG_4977.jpg

IMG_4981.jpg

IMG_4983.jpg

IMG_4985.jpg

IMG_4990.jpg

IMG_4999.jpg

IMG_5000.jpg

IMG_5002.jpg

IMG_5005.jpg

IMG_5010.jpg

I wanted to post the before and after photos, but this would muddy up the page. But you can find the before shots on the previous pages.

Enjoy Reefing. 0:)

screebo said:
Nice installation. Kind of like the Lamborgini of genertors :bigsmile:

Man, do I love Lambos. :love: Almost had one too. 8)

Thanks for taking notice. Good comparison, as I try to buy Lambo like stuff. I can tell you have good taste too my friend. The only problem I've had test driving them, is my feet are too large for the pedals to brake and clutch. Ferrari got it right, I can shift a 308gts like no one else's business. :evil:

For the past 40 years, Generac has only built generators: That's it. After researching back up power systems over the past 5+ years, I think their the real thing. And I had the "real customer experience" during pre-sale and post sale / installation phases too. The unit yields 18kw on nat gas; 20kw on lp - liquid propane. The fire depart wasn't thrilled about me using lp; and I wasn't completely on board of having a liquid bomb on this double lot either.

It has a 999cc v twin that purrs like a puma. Next time you're out this way, I power it on for you. I like some of the tricked out add ons, such as the re-setable Little Firefighter earthquake gas cut off switch and the new matching Smart Meters gas / elect. The whole set up was done so cleanly, and I am 100% certain it's going to do its job whether I'm on site or not.

I've been wanting a set up like this for more than 8 years (not quite as long as waiting for the Lambo or GTS). We've been in this house for apx 13 years and the device was way over due; and well worth everything that went into it. Fortunately, we hooked up with good people/techs and a good company that were able to be bring the dream to its successful fruition.

I'm loving it, big time. And while Susan is not letting on just yet, I know she is at peace knowing it's there when we need it: Mostly for the kritters, that is. As you may know, Susan, the original Elli May Clampet (sp?), is largely all about being good to the critters- including me. 0:)

Thanks for stopping on my thread, checking it out, and posting.

Happy Reefing.

KIT,
Joel

Updated 02/05/10

This photo of JAR's Rainbow Montipora doesn't do it complete justice, as I only snapped a half dozen before posting the best one of them here. The frag has actually purpled up completely, it's just the lighting is a little too intense. I'll try again soon, and post it here again.

JAR's Rainbow Montipora is on the left foreground.

In the background is Sid700's True Superman Monti, Tuberider
's Ponape Birdsnest (ain't she pert-tee :love: ) and behind it Xcaret
's Hydnophora.

IMG_5089.jpg

Hey, this thread has reached a milestone: 100 Posts. Thank you for looking and commenting" :glasses:

JAR said:
How noisy is it?
Nice install!

Hey JAR, Here is a vid (apx 1min 11sec) of the meter spinning. Also, you can hear the gen running from apx 20' away. The gen exercises 1 x pr wk for 12 mins. Today was the day it was scheduled to exercise.

Also, I'll have a photo of your Rainbow Monti up soon, as it has started to color up very nicely. It's been worth the wait, and I'll add it to this thread once I pull the tripod out from the garage.

Thx,

UPDATED 05/06/10

NOTE TO SELF

On Friday, I spoke with a Smart Meter Representative at PG&E to analyze my gas usage thus far, and learned some of the following things. This is a good place to keep it as it will serve a good reference for me and wont have to go rummaging for it a later date.

So this is what I learned: Reference Keyword "BTU Formula" on PC&G's website

1 "Therm" of energy = a cost of $1
100,000 BTUs = 1 Therm
1 Therm = 100 cubic feet of natural gas used
Therms times (x) the Multiplier of 1.02778 determines cost

Non medical Base Line Allowance is 1.79 Therms per day
Medical Base Line Allowance is 1.79 + .82192 or 2.61192 Therm per day

So far, I've manage to use 1 Therm to exercise the gen 24 minutes and a couple of more minutes to show off the gen. That cost $1.

I expect 10 hours of outage (El Granada was out 13 hours yesterday) per main event here on the Coast, so that would translate into $30 per occurrence of that magnitude.

Proof / Check / Cross Foot

Gen operates at 294,000 BTUs

Gen uses approximately 300 cubic ft per hr

294000 Btu = approximately 3 Therms

3 Therms x 10 hrs = 30 Therms or $30 (BEST CASE SENARIO PER EVENT-MOST LIKELY)

30 Therms = 3 million BTUs

3000 cubic ft - 3,000,000 BTUs

1.79 per day x 30 days = 53.7 Therms allowed at Baseline @ .99 per Therm
>53 Therms cost + $1.243 per Therm above the Baseline

24 hour per day for 30 days of usage costs

24 hrs x 30 days x 1 Therms per hour = 720 Therms per month.

53.7 Therms Monthly Allowance, billed @ .99 = $52.47 for first 53.7 hours of natural gas service.
720-53.7 Therms - 53.7 Therms = 666.3 Therms billed @ $1.243 over the Baseline = $827.836 for amount above the Baseline

Total cost for natural gas for 1 month of continuos use = $880.306. (WORST CASE SCENARIO HEAD FOR THE HILLS )

Moral of the story. Don't have black outs. Or have black outs; don't run the gen and afterwards go buy new corals.

Miscellaneous Electric Information:
Baseline 806 KWH Monthly @ .11877 cents per KWH (all electric houses; no gas into house)

"All Electric Homes" KWH Allowance Per Day

Winter 20.2 KW
Summer 11.1 KW

Homes With Gas and Electric Allowance Per Day

Winter 9.8KW
Summer 8.3 KW

Definite advantage to not having gas into the house.

Back