Julius' CDA 150 Build

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Julius Chen, Mar 3, 2018.

1. xcaret

xcaret Guest

Check the heads first; disconnect one and check for the noise then swap and do the same. Might seem coming from inside.

2. Julius Chen

Julius Chen Supporting Member

I did remove the head and just let the main unit run. Noise was still present.

3. Flagg37

Flagg37 Supporting Member

I had a small patch of bubble algae and tried my best to remove it without rupturing any of the bubbles. I think I only removed a couple successfully that way. All the rest popped. I didn’t see any new patches though. I guess I may have just lucked out though.

4. Julius Chen

How to measure cal reactor effluent with dhk ~25 with Hanna whose range is up to 20dhk max?

5. Newjack

Newjack Supporting Member

i think you can dilute it with RO water by 50%. Then double the result. BRS explained it in one of their videos.

6. Julius Chen

Turns out the effluent's alk is only 8.1 dhk.

Ph probe in ca reactor reads ~6.50, 18 bubbles/min, and flow rate was 60ml/min.

I think my ph probe reading is probably not correct. Plan to keep co2 on 24x7 regardless ph probe reading, and reduce flow rate down gradually until alk for effluent climbs up to 15~20 dhk. Any flaws in the plan of action?

Also thinking to add a 2nd chamber to Geo612. Question is whether to go with SMC415 whose chamber is similar in size to Geo612, or go with larger SMC618? What are the downsides of having 2nd chamber so much larger than first? Will 2nd chamber has ph much higher than 1st chamber and thus ineffective in dissolving media? Will taller height of 2nd chamber create extra pressure forcing peristaltic pump to work harder?

7. Newjack

Newjack Supporting Member

it sounds like to me... you are over thinking this. I would not worry about adding a 2nd chamber until you get the single unit running right. If you don't have much of a load in the tank, you should be able to keep up just fine. Now a days, most people rely on the PH reading inside the chamber to dial in a CARx. Once you know the PH is low enough to dissolve the media, you set it and forget it. Then, adjust your effluent drip rate till your tank DKH holds steady.

Coral reefer likes this.
  8. Julius Chen

I am probably over thinking, which sometimes is the fun part of the hobby :)

Yeah, I will try to get the effluent dhk right before considering adding 2nd chamber.

9. Julius Chen

Any recommendation of how to mount a cooling fan that look clean on top of euro braced rimless tank? There is a DIY screen top.

It is my CDA 150 gallon.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  10. Coral reefer

Coral reefer Past President

Maybe mount it on the sump instead?

11. Julius Chen

I have Synergy sump, which is also "euro braced" and both fuge and return chamber have acrylic lid. The skimmer chamber has no screen, so I could mount a small fan there. But I wonder if adding fan to top of display tank will be more effective.

Attached is a photo of the top of display tank. I am thinking:
    1. Add a 18" long fan strip to the far end of the tank, with one end somehow attached to the light post further way;
    or
    2. Make a small wood structure, attached to the top surface of euro brace by 3M dual lock reclosable strip. Then mount the fan onto the wood structure.

Comments?

Top View.jpg

12. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Webmaster Staff Member

No photo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. Coral reefer

Coral reefer Past President

Maybe a fan strip mounted to the light bar?

14. Julius Chen

Have a strange problem - too many air bubbles in co2 reactor.

Do not think there is a leak of air.

Increase effluent flow rate from 20ml/min to 30ml/min will help but reactor’s ph goes to 6.50+. The ARM media I use seems to need as low as 6.2 to dissolve well. At 6.50, effluent’s alk is below 10dhk.

Bottom line is I am in a bound, unable to keep alk high well eliminate excess bubbles.

Before I switch to a different brand of media, any suggestions?

15. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

What brand is the CaRx?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

16. Julius Chen

Geo 612

After purging co2, I did 30ml/min with 20 bubbles/min overnight. No excess bubbles this morning (yet) but effluent’s ph is high at 6.50. It needs to go down to 6.2-6.3.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  17. Vhuang168

By excess bubbles you mean there is extra CO2 at the top of the chamber?

18. Julius Chen

Correct. Bubbles kept growing over a day or two, then pump gets noisier. Pump lost priming in one case.

19. Vhuang168

Turn off your feed pump. Keep your recirculating pump on. Turn down your bubble count.

Let it run until the CaRx ph is at the level you need then slowly ramp up feed pump and tune the bubble count.