Jestersix

June 9th BAR meeting, intensive lighting seminar w/ PGS

On Saturday, June 9th, BAR will host an intensive (no pun intended) lighting seminar presented by Pacific Garden Supply of San Rafael.
Pacific Garden Supply is the company that invented the Lumenarc reflector and they are on the cutting edge of lighting technology for reef aquariums. They are also working with Steinhart to develop a lighting system capable of illuminating the new Steinhart reef tank.
This presentation will include a lengthy Q&A session followed by our famous raffle and a few other activities.
This meeting will be held at ASAP in Hayward, (see www.bareefers.org for directions) is open to the public, and will begin at 1pm sharp.
-Jim

Great meeting, and great to see so many people attending. Lots of DBTC activity too, which was very cool :D

Thanks to Dan from Pacific Garden Supply for the lecture and the show-and-tell. Interesting info about SE/HQI, light movers, reflectors, ballasts, blowers, and more. And who couldn't be happy about the impromptu raffle donation of the Lumenarc lighting fixture :D That was more than generous!

Additional thanks to all our sponsors(and Karl!) for donating such amazing eye candy and other prizes to our raffle. Please feel free to visit their stores to say thank you in person. And as was mentioned at the meeting, it's great to prop and share these corals with your fellow reefers, and you can also prop and share them with the sponsors that shared them with our club in the first place!

Props( :D ) to:

Amazon Aquarium
Aquarium Concepts
Atlantis Aquarium
Dolphin Pet Village
Lucky Ocean
New Alameda Aquatics
Ocean Treasures

And special thanks to Bob and Robert of Aquatic Specialties and Pets for hosting our meetings at their facilities.

Much appreciation to the BOD, club members, and guests for making this a fun event :D

Who was the original guy who won the reflector? I really want to give that guy some extra corals or something. He gave up a rather pricy piece of equipment for a coral and a flashlight.

GrumpySpot on ReefCentral was the one who relinquished the luminarc for a frag. I believe he's new. His name is David. nice guy =)

If he goes to the next meeting I'm going to have to let him take some of my picks or bring him something nice goodies. Must be new as that handle really doesn't ring any bells.

Yes, I'll go down in BAR history as the one that gave up a Luminarc for a frag. But honestly, I just couldn't use it. My tank is in my 7-month-old daughter's bedroom. Even if running the Luminarc didn't end my marriage, I'd still have to explain why my daughter is sunburned all the time.

I'll be at the August meeting. SFSUPhysics, I'll certainly take you up on your offer. Finding interesting pieces is a challenge. And because I'm fairly new, I won't have much to swap. (I'm guessing green star polyps won't get me far with this crowd).

GrumpSpot/David

Hey, some of us like GSP :D

Check out this pic of mine spawning. Happened 3 times.

pinkstuff.jpg

BAR is more than just about getting stuff. Welcome to the club!

The acro seems to be doing OK for now, but I probably don't have the tank for it. It's getting plenty of flow and it's about 2" under my compact PCs. It's keeping its color and extends its polpys but my gut is that it really needs more intense light. I'll probably bring it to the next meeting if it doesn't find a new home before then.

I'm primarily interested in LPS and softies--anything unusual or with color. Haven't really considered SPS corals given my lights.

By the way, that purple and green favites has plumped up and looks great.

Thanks again.

Back