Just a thought

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Thales, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Thales

Thales Past President

From Crazzyreefer on the RC forum:

Sure its a possibility, but I'm not too worried about it. There are plenty of bigger clubs that do the same as we are now doing that aren't wanting for membership.

2. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

I agree, yes you do miss some, but personally I think the forum is getting dead anyways with all the sales, wtb, wtt, group buys everytime someone needs a lightbulb and dont want to pay $6 shipping, etc.

Don't get me wrong there is plenty of stuff still going on, but to be honest it is nice to know only members are going to be posting here (although I did see some "guest" posts which worries me).

3. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

IIRC that was prior to Dave/Rich fixing that....Rich/Dave?

4. bookfish

bookfish Guest

I think growing the club is a very mixed bag. More admin chores, possibility of outgrowing ASAP etc...

5. capescuba

capescuba Supporting Member

LMK when / Where if you see these .....

6. Thales

Thales Past President

Or let me know. I haven't seen any, and I think I have posted in every thread so far. :D

7. Elite

Elite Guest

http://www.bareefers.org/bar/viewtopic.php?t=355

Second post :)

8. bareefers

bareefers BOD

The RC forum was essential during the formation of the club, but we've probably hit critical mass a while ago. I hope that our rc forum doesn't become the wasteland that the seabay forum is.

And while this new board is very exciting, I am reluctant to leave the rc community, which is the single most important information resource available to our hobby.

9. teachermark

teachermark Guest

IMO this forum will suffice for any club needs we all may have. I agree that RC is a very valuable resource and we should all still use it for it's vast amount of valuable information, but personally i'm kinda hoping the BAR forum on RC dies out and all members post here instead, so all the"free loaders" who used the forum to buy and sell stuff go away and use the bay area for sale forum on RC as it was intended in the first place. I believe that reason is a big part of why this forum was created. At least here our club can regulate what is being posted and where, so that it doesn't kill the conversation and questions we had prior to a few months ago on RC. :)

10. Thales

Thales Past President

Ah, I think that one snuck in as I was fooling with permissions.

:D
    Let me know if you see any more.

11. Thales

Thales Past President

I don't think RC is the single most important resource to our hobby. I think it is one of many online resources and they all have their pros and cons.

I don't think any of the BOD want or expect anyone to leave RC. :D

12. badpacket

badpacket Guest

I agree with, everyone?

Obviously club members only for club business discussion is much preferable.
    We do seem to have hit critical mass, and since we can't control who posts what on RC, this may be not only better for the club vis a vis the IRS, but also will help the club cohesion.

This may already be on the meeting agenda, however since we now have a forum up and running, is there also going to be an official announcment on posting guidelines, etc? My only comment would be to suggest that we not delete threads. If something is clearly out of bounds then perhaps editing that specific post, but I dislike seeing an entire thread deleted because it is considered too sensitive.
    Its a personal pet peeve, however there are many other forums which are much more agressive/flamey, and this seems to be a good middle ground to consider.

I expect the BAR RC forum to continue as a regional resource with a fair number of members posting there. If Club business is primarily disseminated here, and members know that they can discuss such, I see no reason why the other needs to die off. Its still a great resource for getting new members.

13. Thales

Thales Past President

Don't worry Fred - no deletions. I'm from the RDO school of moderating, locking a thread if necessary, but no (unless under extreme circumstances) locking.

I agree about this board cultivating cohesion within the club. We will know the people posting are club members, and we will know they are in our area. I am very much looking forward to it.

:D

14. bookfish

bookfish Guest

I'm spending less time on the RC forum for the simple fact that I don't like to have to check 2 places and this one is better.