Neptune Aquatics

Just for fun - what was the most stupid thing you ever tried in this hobby?

1) Cleaning my tank while fully aware that my huge long spine urchin was right next to my hand. Well I got poked. Damn it hurts. The spines were serated so it went deeper as I tried to pull it out.

2) I just mentioned this on RC. Thinking that I could get away with manually turning on and off the mixing pump on the kalk reactor every night and only to discover the tank was snowed with kalk whan I came home because I forgot to turn it off.

Lame move #3...

Packing frags for the BAR Feb. 2006 swap, and accidently putting my Psychedelic Chalice frag into one of the containers :(

So if anybody is growing out a really insane looking "Pink Chalice" frag from the swap, make sure you take good care of it! :D

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2426.msg24812#msg24812 date=1190417802]
mini spear gun? wow you're awesome! pictures at least?
[/quote]

Sorry but she made me dissasemble that thing and threw it away in front of her :D :D so I dont have it anymore to take pix. but what I did was I took a small fish hook and straighten it out to make the pointy spearhead, and then used a bamboo skewer as the spear, tie on the hook with thin fishing line and then crazy glue it together. For the body of the gun, I used acrylic and small circular ring cut from a hard acrylic tube to feed the spear through, and then rubber band. The trigger was the tricky part, which is hard to explain. The gun actualy works realy well :D :D

Very ingenious!! Too bad you dismantled it.

I've done two major stupid things, and many more little bits of stupidity. For years I used a solid block carbon filter for my water. As long as ACWD used chlorine as its disinfectant, everything was fine if I aerated the water for 24 hrs. Well, they switched to chloramine and Theresa warned me ,but I didn't listen. Did a big water change and lost a beautiful large clam. The inside just melted away. Very sad. Tough way to learn a lesson.

The other mistake was mentioned by Mr Ugly , I think. While doing a water change, I put both ends of the siphon in my 40 ga tank, went into the bathroom to deal with the new water, came back out and the tank was half empty(one end came out of the tank), water flowing out the front door, soaked carpet, corals exposed to the air. Totally panicked. What the hell to do. Ending up losing two of three fish and some corals, but most corals made it. Shows how tough some corals are.

Starting the hobby with cheap protein skimmers to save a few bucks, going through about 5 skimmers with increasing cost until finally settled on ERs. Adding up the cost of all the cheap ones that I went through, I probably could have bought one of the most expensive skimmer in the first place. The two coralife skimmers I had early on caused 3 floodings on my hardwood floor, leaving thousands of dollars of damage >:(.

The lesson learnt, it is very expensive to be cheap in this hobby.

yep it doesn't pay to be cheap in this hobby. Better off to get it right the first time....however I do like to buy nice used gear : ) The timing has to be right and you need to be lucky. Just about everything in the 120 is used including the tank......I think the only thing I have in there that was new was the vortec pump.

Yeah, I've been cheap in the hobby (to say the least :D) It's really hard to plunk down $600 for a protein skimmer when you can get one for $200 for the same "capacity" as a young reefer.

I have done the stupid Siphoning water out of the tank and getting distracted doing something else and thus instant flood on the floor.

Thinking I could empty out my 72g, remove the dsb, and put everything back all in one evening :(

Took me from 6pm to 6am, and then I had to go to work.

2 days later, I found my frag of Superman monti sitting in a deli container of rock rubble :( :(

It was a 1/4"x1/4" frag I had got at Atlantis, and I was babying it and trying to grow it out. It had finally started to encrust too.

Thinking I could fill my RODI containers without a float switch. I flooded the garage about 10 times. Now I'm just brave and use treated tap water. I've been doing it for a little over a year now. I do test the TDS before I mix the salt in, just in case.

eh, I don't use a floatswitch, and yeah I do occasionally forget the RO water is going... usually as I sprint out of bed at night... but the one good thing about 40 psi is I don't have to worry about it overflowing too much :D

I know I have to make it a point to stay glued to the tank area while doing water changes siphoning or pumping the water back in - too many accidents.

I'm there with you with the floods!! It's bad when the equipment rental supply place that has the industrial size fans knows you by name! It sure would be nice to just use tap water and not waste so much water making RODI as well as minimizing the forgetful flooding. Maybe I'll experiment for a bit ???.

My wife used to get mad at me when I flood my garage especially after I had my 3rd accident. So on the 4th time when I discovered I flooded the garage again, I was sneaking around trying to clean up the mess before she saw it. Well she caught me in the act. After that she just gave up and just rolls her eye when it happens. I haven't done it for over a year now since I've gone without a RODI and my water bill is a lot lighter too.

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=2426.msg24988#msg24988 date=1190743623]
Heck I had to buy a big ole wet/dry wet vac cuz of all the "forgetfullness" I've had.
[/quote]First thing I bought when I started my business, a large shop vac. So far I've only used it for sand and gravel removal, I'm off to go knock wood now....

I had to use my shop vac on many occasions, so recently, I drill the floor of my house and moved all my filtration systems into my garage, now my house is nice and dry and q u i e t ... ahhhhhhhhhh. Even my water change is fast (1/2 hour the most) and easy because I can do it all in one place and not worry about getting my floor wet.

Back