Kessil

Just for fun - what was the most stupid thing you ever tried in this hobby?

I miss this thread being near the top, so here is one...

Way back in about 1999 i bought a twin spot goby and Nippon because of the cool hover effect. I took my time acclimating to increase the odds of survival. And after a good long wait I dumped it into the tank. It hovered about 1/3 from the bottom for a moment, then got spooked and darted off... right into my 12" diameter carpet anenome. :(

C

I think there's plenty of stupid things I've done. :D Most recent was probably forgetting to close a few of my closed loop valves when I went to clean out the OM 4-way. The minute I loosened the last screw, the top popped off, and water started flowing out everywhere. In a panic, I thought I could push the lid back down, which just resulted in water spraying 360 degrees around - landing on my wall outlets, which tripped everything (thank goodness for GFCI). Everything except for the one outlet I don't have GFCI protected, which incidentally is where I had a power strip plugged into, which was sitting there on the stand, right where I had my hand in a shallow layer of water. I realized all this when my hand started to tingle. :eek:

Well, Bryan saw me do this last weekend :D

I had some extra saltwater in a 20g Brute and I decided to run my Mag5 mixing pump to get the water warmed up for the afternoon fragging.

I plugged the pump in and got the water moving, but it splashed a lot because it was only about 4 gallons in the container instead of the usual 16 or so.

I pulled on the cord a little to reposition the pump, which is no problem when the bin is full.

But with so little water in the container, I got an instant saltwater fountain with the water shooting straight up in the air before landing all over the hardwood floor :D

Mine was unplugging the heater to do some a water change and forgetting to plug is back in. I couldn't figure out why everything was dying... duh.....

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2426.msg34925#msg34925 date=1203874987]
Well, Bryan saw me do this last weekend :D

I had some extra saltwater in a 20g Brute and I decided to run my Mag5 mixing pump to get the water warmed up for the afternoon fragging.

I plugged the pump in and got the water moving, but it splashed a lot because it was only about 4 gallons in the container instead of the usual 16 or so.

I pulled on the cord a little to reposition the pump, which is no problem when the bin is full.

But with so little water in the container, I got an instant saltwater fountain with the water shooting straight up in the air before landing all over the hardwood floor :D
[/quote]

Heh I was a witness to this too!

Heh

Oh yah!

Pretty funny, huh? :D

I was looking at the water spraying, and for a split second I thought... "Wow... that fountain is going perfectly vertical right now!"

:D

The ones that stick in my mind.. there have been plenty:

1. Turning on the external pump after opening the valve from the sump and before connecting the return line to the pump. You think a clam squirting is bad, that nearly drowned me and I thought I might lose my eye.

2.Curing First live rock avec RO....sans salt. Phew what a pong.

3.Slowly killing everything in my tank until I realize it's my salinity reading that is way off. That is such a slow gradual decline, you just can't figure out what you started doing wrong and second-guess everything. Seemed to reduce my Aiptasia collection dramatically but pumping Xenia seem to like it :(

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2426.msg34931#msg34931 date=1203876308]
Oh yah!

Pretty funny, huh? :D

I was looking at the water spraying, and for a split second I thought... "Wow... that fountain is going perfectly vertical right now!"

:D
[/quote]

Hehe the funny part was that you made your kid clean it up =)

Hehe... yah, got part of it but had to take off to get to Atlantis in time to pick up chalices from Shu Tin.

Luckily Steven is a good sport :D

For me, it's with plumbing in the mag 2. I forgot to run the pump to see which side was output and input and glued all the PVC in place with it backwards. Had to strip it all down and start over. When everything was set to go, I plugged it in and the pump was leaking from the screwholes. I got so ticked off that I just decided to use plumber's goop to wall the cap in where it was leaking.

Ouch!

I have another...

One time I needed to run carbon so I set up a canister filter on top of the tank in my hood with the top propped up. All worked well so I decided to leave it Sunday night and went off to work Monday. Came home to the whole thing in the tank. The water was nasty, the motor was dead, and I don't know what leached into the water. Luckily I stopped and thought about it before reaching in to the tank to get it. I checked circuits and unplugged. Then pulled it and started doing a few big water changes. Luckily I only lost a few corals. :(

c

Back