Neptune Aquatics

just got back from camping, show me your swap booty!

I had a good time at the swap. I didn't really bring anything home, cause i was just helping out a friend stock his new nano tank. I was pretty excited to get my new bar shirts though. I know there was a really good reason that racks were used to display the corals. I was just hoping that those are not going to replace the the tables from now on. It was kind of hard looking thru things. Other than that, swap was great!

yeah we gotta have a better way of doing that. it needs to be lit up better or something, because if i would have been able to see everything, i would havepicked faster i think.

I was talking more along the lines of room for multiple people to look. If someone decided to park themselves in the middle of rack, you had to go around to one of the sides or have their booty in your face. Like I said i'm sure there was a good reason.

dude. i didnt even know i should have brought one! i didnt even know what the purpose of all the colors of light in those flashlights. what are they specifically for?

well, corals reflect part of their color and fluoresce the rest. without a highly specialized flashlight, your best bet is to get a bright white LED flashlight. I can get into why if you really want (I can send you a PM)

[quote author=ReeferGirl link=topic=4274.msg51792#msg51792 date=1218419446]i had a few bootys in my face yesterday. lol.[/quote]

You say that as if it were a bad thing :D

Usually we use tables, but for this regional swap, we tried using racks so that there would be more room for chairs so people could hang out. Our previous regional swaps have had 200+ people.

Probably will be going with tables for the club swap in February. Maybe 60 or so people.

You know, it would be AWESOME if we had an informal "rule of thumb" that whatever you get from one frag swap, you bring back at least one frag of it to the next frag swap! That way, if anyone missed something, they have a chance to get it at the next one. And maybe this rule doesn't apply to Xenia... :p

V

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=4274.msg51931#msg51931 date=1218495298]
You know, it would be AWESOME if we had an informal "rule of thumb" that whatever you get from one frag swap, you bring back at least one frag of it to the next frag swap! That way, if anyone missed something, they have a chance to get it at the next one. And maybe this rule doesn't apply to Xenia... :p

V

[/quote]Vince, I know you are the root of DBTC, but man you're stretching it now :D. I say that with the up most in respect, as again you are the father of DBTC ;)

I was also in the A group and got one of Bryan's monti's which is starting to color up. Funny thing is the other SPS that I liked was picked up in the very last round. It wasn't labeled so I guess everyone just left it there. I noticed this happened at the MARS swap too. It seems to have some potential for being tri colored. For being one of the last SPS's next to all the birds nest I thought it was interesting. I had a great time :)

PictureorVideo050-1.jpg

PictureorVideo051-1.jpg

That one is a beauty. It will be highlighter yellow with bright purple polyps if you keep it in high light. If it gets too little light it will brown out quite a bit. Glad to see it went to a good home.

speaking of DBTC, maybe at the next frag swap we can have DBTC tables...might make it easier for people to pick up/drop off DBTC items...also a good way for people to get in on it.

Though, I really would like to see some of the the frag swap corals come back in...there were some nice things that make you think "Gosh, I like A, but B and C is nice too!" then when your group comes back...B & C are gone and you pick up some Kenya Tree. Dang!

If we had infinite time, it would be cool if people logged what they brought to the frag swap. It would be interesting to see what kind of corals are showing up, and what corals come back after their first introduction to a swap.

V

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=4274.msg52028#msg52028 date=1218563102]
speaking of DBTC, maybe at the next frag swap we can have DBTC tables...might make it easier for people to pick up/drop off DBTC items...also a good way for people to get in on it.

Though, I really would like to see some of the the frag swap corals come back in...there were some nice things that make you think "Gosh, I like A, but B and C is nice too!" then when your group comes back...B & C are gone and you pick up some Kenya Tree. Dang!

If we had infinite time, it would be cool if people logged what they brought to the frag swap. It would be interesting to see what kind of corals are showing up, and what corals come back after their first introduction to a swap.

V

[/quote]

It would also be interesting to see what ppl were labeling VS what they were bringing. I wasn't in the picking at this last swap but I have heard for some ppl that they aren't really sure about what they got VS what it was labeled. I'm sure it's all OK but it would nice to know..........

I heard that some people were going to deliberately mislabel frags. Common stuff as LE's.

Don't know if it was a bad joke or not.

At least for me, if I didn't know exactly what it was, I put that on the lable ("unknown. Mili?") etc. I didn't SEE any "fake" LE items etc but I also didn't look to hard for them. There was one thing I'll call semi shady that I saw. It might have been deliberate or might have been ignorant.

It was a "disclaimer label"...one of those things where I could get a random brown chalice and put "was told it will color up to be a LE bazooka joe" on the label and toss it into the swap.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4274.msg52048#msg52048 date=1218569758]
At least for me, if I didn't know exactly what it was, I put that on the lable ("unknown. Mili?") etc. I didn't SEE any "fake" LE items etc but I also didn't look to hard for them. There was one thing I'll call semi shady that I saw. It might have been deliberate or might have been ignorant.

It was a "disclaimer label"...one of those things where I could get a random brown chalice and put "was told it will color up to be a LE bazooka joe" on the label and toss it into the swap.

[/quote]

See this is why it would be nice 9altough would be a accounting nightmare) to know who threw that in, also if you got some frags with say redbugs, well if you knew who threw them in you could inform them and any other who might have gotten frags that they should treat them right away.

Like I said it would be nice, but it would be very diffucult to pull off effectively.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=4274.msg52045#msg52045 date=1218569015]
I heard that some people were going to deliberately mislabel frags. Common stuff as LE's.

Don't know if it was a bad joke or not.
[/quote]

I remember in the last MARS swap that invidividuals posted pictures of rare frags they were bringing. Which I thought was great. It worked pretty well because it allowed individuals who brought these items to get first pick (if I recall it correctly). But then again if you didn't have anything rare you could bring 10 commons (i think) and get a first pick too. I remember leaving there and seeing so many containers! It would have been a newbies lucky day just waiting to clean up.

I usually just pick from individuals with good reputations so picking via a persons name goes a long way for me.

What I'd do:

*Make sure when people checked in that all frags were checked at the same time with their name on each container. If there are no names they have to be accountable and write it infront of you. It maybe a long process but it would eliminate an individual to mis-label items and get away with it. Plus, it allows individuals to communicate with one another if there are pests in the coral that they brought. I'd be pissed wasting a first round pick on a coral which was horrible.

*For pests it happens to the best which I have seen with numeroues reefers. Your dosing instructions and packets were great, especially for people who don't dose their new corals. Or even know how to acclimate them.

I hope I can relay some of this info to our club (northcoastreefers) if we do intend to get a swap going at the end of the year.

Back