High Tide Aquatics

Just ordered 36" 156w Current USA Nova Extreme SLR T-5, Any good?

Hi guys.

I just ordered this fixture HERE in 36" 156w and want to know if anyone has this same fixture or similar?

Foster & Smith has a really great deal right now for these fixtures, mine was $184.98 shipped!!!

anyways, I plan on using the stock bulbs for a little while until I can buy some ATI bulbs, possibly 1-2 months, maybe less.

Are the stock bulbs ok to use for temp?

And this unit has Single Lamp Reflectors instead of Parabolic, this is better than the old nova extreme right?

Thanks and Hope to hear some feedback. (im super stoked cause I bought a new toy, yay!!!)

robert - eastbayreefer2010

You just got hosed......

Just kidding. I know nothing about them but It's good to ask advice before you buy. LOL :bigsmile:

ya, ask questions before I buy.......oh well I jumped the gun a little.

I did do abit of research on reef central and some other forums, I have heard good things about the nova extreme but not much info on the SLR model, I guess what im asking is are the reflectors on it better than the old parabolic reflectors or about the same?

I know that to check this you need a lux meter but does anyone have the parabolic model and the SLR model, that would be a good enough comparison for me.

I may not be making sense, please excuse me if im not, im on lots of medication.

robert - eastbayreefer2010

SLR is not as good as their pro model, but all in all an OK fixture. I think the SLR is about the same level as a Odyessa, only with a better warrenty>

The stock bulbs are horrible, and I wouldn't bother checking PAR until you upgrade the bulbs

IMO you can do better than those lights for the price. I posted something on T5 reflectors and the differences between the different designs a while back. I'll see if I can find the link.

Mike

This is an article that really helps illustrate the differences between T5 reflectors. Keep in mind this is published by a lighting manufacturer, however, I think the illustration of various reflectors and description of the advantages/disadvantages between them is fairly accurate. Also note this article is not published by an aquarium lighting manufacturer and more than likely is intended more specifically for the grow light market. After all, getting maximum lighting down towards the ground is not always the primary concern when thinking of all the different lighting applications out there for T5s. Nonetheless, when it comes to aquariums, particularly growing coral, the primary concern is getting the maximum amount of light down. Cooling is also another factor and depending on how the T5 fixture is made, cooling can be an issue (fans may or may not be needed to properly cool the fixture).

Here's the article:

http://www.lightingassociates.org/i/u/2127806/f/tech_sheets/FAQs_Reflector_Design__Why_is_it_important_.pdf

Mike

We recently add Extreme Pro 48" 6 lamp system. Realy like the system. Price looks good. I found this reference on lamps online

http://sites.google.com/site/tfivetesting/bulbs

Mike

Back