Reef nutrition

Just realized that I have AEFWs

I was looking at the macro photos I took of coral in my tank and realized that one of my acros has AEFWs. This is my first encounter with them and I'll have to do some research on solutions for them. I don't know if it could be related but the golden torch we got from the last BAR member frag swap didn't make it either. :(

Check out the photo I took with the AEFWs painfully apparent.

IMG_6471-X3.jpg

you may have AEFW... but you definitely have red bugs :D
And yeah as far as annoy pests in the tank go, that's probably one of the best ones to have since there's actually a treatment for it.

FYI, the couple times I noticed I had it, it was the same way with macro photography, couldn't see them with my eyes if I tried and I knew exactly which corals to look at.

There is an extensive thread on RC about treating RB with Bayer insecticide. It's available at HD and Lowe's.

The coral has to be removed from the tank for treatment.

Ah, I guess I don't know my pests well. :)

I'll have to read more into the Bayer and Interceptor treatments. Thanks all for IDing and shooting me some tips!

On a posotive note.........that acro is beautiful! I would dip it right away to get the bulk off, and then treat the tank when you can. The coral will respond immediately when you dip. It will be happy, happy to get rid of those guys.

Uhoh! Definitely red bugs! At least its something treatable. I feel like this is just another thing on the list for why SPS corals are such a giant pain. Stick to zoas!

Just got through treating my tank with Interceptor Sentinel.

I dosed the entire tank and removed as many hermits as I could find, though I did lose my Fire Shrimp on the first dosage and then I lost my pistol shrimp on the second dosage 7 days later. The pistol didn't have time to recover I suppose from the first dose.

The pill is good for 380 gallons, so I used a third of the pill for my 75G on both treatments. So far, no ill effects on the corals, but obviously everything else that is a crustacean perished. Snails were fine.

After the two doses I am now red bug free. Other than losing all the pods and hermits, it was worth it.

Red bugs are easy peezey lemon squeezey to get rid of. AEFW's are a whole different story. Montie eating nudies are fun to get rid of but not as hard as AEFW's IMHO.
Consider yourself lucky:)

Back