Kessil

Kalkwasser fail

Finally started using kalkwasser in the ATO last Friday and it only took 2 days for disaster to happen. Thankfully the tank is fine. The ATO container I’ve been using suffered the tiniest of cracks and slowly leaked out overnight... all over the carpet behind the tank. I did so much research on the use of kalk, but somehow didn’t come across this issue until it happened. Let this serve as a PSA for the uninitiated like myself.... not all water containers can handle kalk [emoji22].
ed766146870b78a6b744409fa2771321.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes.
Did the container just have a crack, or dissolve due to kalk?
It’s a hairline crack but I believe it is due to kalk. The container had no damage before and never leaked when it was just RODI.

This thread brought my attention to something I had never thought about. Now I feel apprehensive about the container I am using (material: polyester). What containers are others using for Kalk dosing?

This thread brought my attention to something I had never thought about. Now I feel apprehensive about the container I am using (material: polyester). What containers are others using for Kalk dosing?
I bought the Avast reactor.
And it did end up leaking, twice. Took a long time also.
I am thinking it ate through the glue.
I recently sealed it with epoxy.
No idea where epoxy ends up in the table.

Yeah my Avast reactor developed a leak too, I used the glue they gave me, which IIRC said some "Model glue #something", it kind of looked like Weldon 16, but not quite, I just squirted some weldon 3 in the cracks around the rim and that seemed to lock it up tight. But we'll see, there's something to be said about having a catch basin under any fluid holding vessels you have under your stand (or in your fish room)

I think acrylic ATO containers are way overpriced, hence I used alternative solutions. But kalkwasser is now throwing me a curveball. No choice but to splurge on acrylic?

I think acrylic ATO containers are way overpriced, hence I used alternative solutions. But kalkwasser is now throwing me a curveball. No choice but to splurge on acrylic?

There are several good choices on the chart for high pH among the common plastics, including polypropylene, high density polyethylene, polyvinyl chloride. I’ve never used kalk so I’m not speaking from experience, just looking at the chart and acronyms.

BRS sells a $2.50 jug made of PVC (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mr-chili-mixing-jug-clear-1-gallon-jug.html) but there are lots of choices out there. Just look at the recycle number.

Try glass tanks?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So I poked around a bit.
Glass is fine of course.
But silicone ... ??
It is definitely a problem when it sets, since it is acid-curing. Never use it on concrete.
But once set, it seems ok to PH levels you might see in limewater.
Although I could not find specific info.

So I poked around a bit.
Glass is fine of course.
But silicone ... ??
It is definitely a problem when it sets, since it is acid-curing. Never use it on concrete.
But once set, it seems ok to PH levels you might see in limewater.
Although I could not find specific info.
So do you mean if I use glass tanks as an ato, the kalk can erode the silicone?

Back