got ethical husbandry?

Kent Garlic Xtreme Questions

houser said:
You should have been able to get maracyn-2 there. I don't know what your fish has, but it's effective against gram-negative and has worked for me a time or two on CoC abrasions, bag mouth, etc... Without a culture it's a flip of the coin for gram-positive vs. gram-negative. Freshwater M2 is fine, follow the directions on the box. If it didn't work and you still want to run antibiotics then cross over to the Maracyn. I think you can dose them simultaneously but let's let someone else chime in on that as I have never personally done that.
Drain the water right out of your tank into the bucket. Make sure that heater is checked out first. Start by throwing some tap water in the bucket and put the heater in there. Go to school, whatever then come home and see the temp. Adjust accordingly. Unplug heater, wait a while, drain bucket, add tank water, wait a little, plug heater back in. When you play with a Q you have to keep your eyes on ammonia. #1 enemy. Daily water changes are good, siphon out waste. How are you going to keep the water circulating in the bucket BTW?

But before this all. Is your fish worse, or better? That may determine if you really want to move it. If it's holding steady you might want to consider leaving it right where it is. Continue planning to move it, but don't move it just because you have all the gear. You will use it next time.

I was thinking of using my Duetto DJ 100, but it does 90GPH which may be too strong for a 5 gallon bucket. I have a 10 gallon glass tank with a cover, and my mom said she'll think about letting me set that up. The last splotches he developed showed up about four or five days ago. It doesn't look like he's getting better, but he doesn't seem to be getting any worse at the moment. He is staying in his burrow now during the day and he is more calm, so that seems like a good sign. I'm feeding him two or three times per day with Rod's Original Blends enhanced with 1/3 or 1/2 the recommended dose of Selcon (since I feed him two/three times per day, it adds up to the recommended dose) and I put two drops of Garlic Xtreme in his food. His tummy fattened after I fed him. I have the top of the tank covered in three layers of mesh netting which greatly reduced the amount of light getting into the tank. I'm going to try to do a 5% WC before the lights go out on the tank every day until I move him into the Q bucket.

Hang tight and report back when you get a good look at him. If he is calming down, and eating and getting better, leave him be. Maybe.

He moved from his main burrow in the front to one of his other burrows under the main rock structure. He likes to hang outside of that burrow and spit sand, so I got a great look at him. No new splotches have developed. The picture in the first post was when I first noticed it. The area with those splotches hasn't gotten any more splotches and they splotches in that area haven't gotten any bigger. However, as I think I mentioned, he has two very small silver splotches further up his body, and those have been there for around four days.

The splotches are only on one side of his body if that would help with identifying the cause of the splotches. Also, all of the splotches are two-dimensional (they have no bump or raised appearance to them), and they are shiny silver when the lights are on. They aren't as visible when the lights are off, so I guess you could say they are slightly reflective to light.

Tamazula said:
It seems like they get scraped on the rocks a little bit as they rest. My BSJ used to get that now and then.

How long would it take for the scrapes to go away? He's had them for over a week and they look more like splotches than scrapes.

Today when I came home I found the disease has spread to the other side of his body near his chest. There's also some black splotches on his anal fin. I can get Maracyn-Two tomorrow to put in a Q bucket with him. I'll get the heater set today. :(

That may make matters worse, tbh. They're very skittish little fish and easily disturbed/stressed.

On that note, once he sets up camp in your tank, do not disrupt the tunnels or he may never again act the way you're used to. Happened to me and someone else I know.

I got the saltwater version of Maracyn-Two today. My thinking is, if I just let him be and it gets worse he will die. If I stress him a bit by moving him to a bucket, but I medicate him and he returns to normal, then I'll still have a Jawfish. I want to try and keep this fish alive if I can.

Mr. Ugly said:
You might be better off to stick the corals in the bucket and leave the fish in the tank.

Wouldn't the tank have to take at least one month to completely cycle again after I dosed the Maracyn? They wouldn't have light in the bucket and I have no room in my RSM except for on the sandbed, and I assume the SPS would quickly bleach there.

Maracyn-Two Powder Saltwater

Active Ingredient
Each powder packet contains 20 mg Minocycline activity. 15.00 Pantothenic Acid, 8.60 mg Riboflavin, 2.60 mg Thiamine Mononitrate, 2.60 Pyridoxine Hydrochloride.

NOTE: Be sure to treat for the full duration recommended, even if symptoms disappear after a few days. DO NOT overdose. Follow dosage directions as detailed on the product packaging.

Dosing Instructions
First day, add 2 packets per 20 gallons of water. On the second through fifth day, add 1 packet per 20 gallons of water.

Repeat this 5 day treatment only once if needed.

Special Notes on Diagnosis
Diagnosis of bacterial infections and parasitic infestations in salt and freshwater fish is very difficult, even for the most advanced aquarist.

Effects on Biological Filtration
Nitrobacter and Nitrosomonas are widely recognized as the primary beneficial bacteria present in the biological filtration system of every aquarium. Some drugs, which treat fish disease are harmful to these "good" bacteria. When the biological filter is upset, there is a build-up of ammonia and nitrite concentrations, resulting in fish distress and sometimes death. Mardel products have been tested with known strains of these bacteria with no adverse effects noted. When used as directed, they do not interfere with the biological filter.

NOTE: In heavily stocked aquariums, it is important to actively monitor ammonia and nitrite levels because during treatment, fish may excrete more waste materials. After treatment, it is always beneficial to add a boost to the biological filter with the use of a bacterial additive.

Mr. Ugly said:

Active Ingredient
Each powder packet contains 20 mg Minocycline activity. 15.00 Pantothenic Acid, 8.60 mg Riboflavin, 2.60 mg Thiamine Mononitrate, 2.60 Pyridoxine Hydrochloride.

NOTE: Be sure to treat for the full duration recommended, even if symptoms disappear after a few days. DO NOT overdose. Follow dosage directions as detailed on the product packaging.

Dosing Instructions
First day, add 2 packets per 20 gallons of water. On the second through fifth day, add 1 packet per 20 gallons of water.

Diagnosis of bacterial infections and parasitic infestations in salt and freshwater fish is very difficult, even for the most advanced aquarist.

Nitrobacter and Nitrosomonas are widely recognized as the primary beneficial bacteria present in the biological filtration system of every aquarium. Some drugs, which treat fish disease are harmful to these "good" bacteria. When the biological filter is upset, there is a build-up of ammonia and nitrite concentrations, resulting in fish distress and sometimes death. Mardel products have been tested with known strains of these bacteria with no adverse effects noted. When used as directed, they do not interfere with the biological filter.

NOTE: In heavily stocked aquariums, it is important to actively monitor ammonia and nitrite levels because during treatment, fish may excrete more waste materials. After treatment, it is always beneficial to add a boost to the biological filter with the use of a bacterial additive.

So it's safe to use in my tank with corals? :~

I've used erythromycin, the active ingredient in Maracyn One, without problem in a tank with corals.

Erythromycin doesn't disturb the nitrogen cycle.

You probably can Google for more info on the various Maracyns.

Euphyllia said:
Mr. Ugly said:

Active Ingredient

Dosing Instructions

So it's safe to use in my tank with corals? :~

Yes and no. Unless you know what strains of bacteria are doing the bulk of the workload in your tank it's a crapshoot, you could dose and be perfectly fine, or one of the primary denitrifying bacteria is sensitive to M2 and you all of the sudden have a sh*t storm on your hands. It is best to prepare for the worst and expect the best.

Back