Jestersix

Kent Garlic Xtreme Questions

Thales said:
Yes. Sand in the bottom. On live rock. Aeration and heater. Be ready for water changes as needed.

I don't have any spare LR. Is it critical that I have it? If so I'll go to the LFS and get some. Also, if I put LR in, should I also give him a PVC structure?

Looks like you do in the picture. Really interested in giving this fish the best shot? Temporarily rearrange part of your rock work to pull a piece for the bucket. You can fix it later. The LR will help with water quality. Since the fish is getting worse, I would do this immediately.

Just throwing this out there, if you do decide to use the bucket. Mark the water level (on the outside of the bucket, with a sharpie or tape) so you can monitor evaporation and top off as needed. Hope all goes well.

Thales said:
Looks like you do in the picture. Really interested in giving this fish the best shot? Temporarily rearrange part of your rock work to pull a piece for the bucket. You can fix it later. The LR will help with water quality. Since the fish is getting worse, I would do this immediately.

I didn't consider that as spare LR because that's part of the Jawfish's main hole and I thought it would stress him when I put him back in the main tank after quarantine. I guess I could put it in the bucket after I put him in if it won't stress him when I reintroduce him to the tank.

mtw31081 said:
Just throwing this out there, if you do decide to use the bucket. Mark the water level (on the outside of the bucket, with a sharpie or tape) so you can monitor evaporation and top off as needed. Hope all goes well.
Smart tip.

Mr. Ugly said:
mtw31081 said:
Smart tip.

I'll go ahead and do that right now. :)

The heater I have it waaay to powerful and shot the bucket up to 80F in 5 minutes even on the lowest setting. I know BSJ live in cooler temperatures, where it swings between 60F and 80F, so could I just tank the heater out so it's more comfortable for him? The temperature of a bucket of saltwater in my room without a heater is right around 70F. Should that be OK? :)

Do a big water change to the bucket from the tank to match temp, then move him on over. If you are gonna treat, the sooner the better.

Thales said:
Do a big water change to the bucket from the tank to match temp, then move him on over. If you are gonna treat, the sooner the better.

Once the water clears in the bucket (the sand got stirred up) I will do the water change and move him over. :)

Mr. Ugly said:
I've used erythromycin, the active ingredient in Maracyn One, without problem in a tank with corals.

Erythromycin salts
*cough* red slime remover *cough*

Update:

I'm going to move him to quarantine tonight. He removed all of the sand from his burrow and it ended up on my Aztec Sundials and my Hornets. He's continuing to remove the sand to have a deeper hole (which he can't because he's already at the bottom glass) and the rocks just fall down more.

I'm mixing a big batch of saltwater to put into the tank so I can remove five gallons for the Q bucket. The filter gets warm and keeps the bucket at 72F, while the main tank is 74F at night.

I glued all of my frags down, but somehow he managed to get a monti cap loose and they're now in his hole. I'll have three rocks in the Q bucket for him along with lots of rubble (thank-you, whoever brought that huge bucket of rubble to the swap). :)

Would be a good idea to rinse that rubble.

Check if it smells bad too, in case it went anaerobic on you.

Let your quarantine circulate/aerate really well before you put your fish in there.

Mr. Ugly said:
Would be a good idea to rinse that rubble.

Check if it smells bad too, in case it went anaerobic on you.

Let your quarantine circulate/aerate really well before you put your fish in there.

It has been circulating since Wednesday or Thursday (I forget which). Do you mean after I change the water?
I'll rise the rubble and smell it before I stick it in the Q. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Another question... if I put some tank rocks in there with him and treat the Q bucket with Maracyn-Two, will the rocks be safe to put immediately back into the main tank, or do they have to go through a little "cycle" sort of deal?

Help! He's won't eat! I just tried to feed him Rod's Original Blend with Garlic Xtreme and Selcon. He would bite some of it that literally hit him in the face, but then he would just spit it back out. It's moving around because there's a good amount of flow in the bucket (not too much, though). Should I go to a LFS and get some live brine shrimp? I would enhance it with Selcon, and Garlic Xtreme (Garlic Xtreme right before I fed it to the fish). :(

You're dealing with a double edged sword, the more you feed the more water quality control you're going to need to do. If you don't feed the JF is going to waste away.

Often a fish refuses to eat because it is very uncomfortable for the food to pass to/through its pharyngeal, imagine a sore throat where every time you attempted to swallow the pain was too excruciating. Parasites like to lodge into the gills, theres so much blood being refreshed constantly it's like a buffet that never runs out, secondary infections occur and spread through the mouth/throat area and due to the tissues condition the fish simply cannot eat. It becomes difficult to judge on what level the infection has progressed, when the fish stops eating it is an ominous sign. Brine shrimp are only good to keep the feeding response intact and can help the fish acclimate back to more wholesome foods, but as a source of nutrition they are horrible, even with supplements.

tuberider said:
You're dealing with a double edged sword, the more you feed the more water quality control you're going to need to do. If you don't feed the JF is going to waste away.

Often a fish refuses to eat because it is very uncomfortable for the food to pass to/through its pharyngeal, imagine a sore throat where every time you attempted to swallow the pain was too excruciating. Parasites like to lodge into the gills, theres so much blood being refreshed constantly it's like a buffet that never runs out, secondary infections occur and spread through the mouth/throat area and due to the tissues condition the fish simply cannot eat. It becomes difficult to judge on what level the infection has progressed, when the fish stops eating it is an ominous sign. Brine shrimp are only good to keep the feeding response intact and can help the fish acclimate back to more wholesome foods, but as a source of nutrition they are horrible, even with supplements.

I got some live brine to try and get him to eat. I know they are horrible, nutrition wise, but it's better than starving to death I suppose. Hopefully I can get him back into the main tank in about a week to give the medicine time to work.

I just fed him some of the live brine and it looks like he it all. I'll see if he'll take Rod's tomorrow before I do a 50% WC, but if he won't I'll siphon it out.

Back