got ethical husbandry?

Kent Garlic Xtreme Questions

Artemia aren't horrible nutrition wise, they just lack in some areas more so then other feeds :) Unlike other sources we have at our disposal, they need enriching (like rotifers).

Good advice Jeremy (or rather, good explination)

I wouldn't worry too much about it not eating for several days. It is not uncommon for fish to go off feed during a treatment like this. Don't sweat it, and don't pester the fish.

The fish looks better as far as I can see. There is one big splotch left, but that's all. I'm going to continue the medication for a bit after all the splotches have disappeared. Overall, he seems great and he isn't acting very stressed at all. :)

I didn't see any splotches when I checked a few minutes ago. I'll move him back to the main tank in a few days. Are the rocks that were in quarantine with him safe to move back to the main tank even though they were treated?

He's been in quarantine for 10 days now. Should I move him back to the main tank or leave him in the for a few more days? All of the splotches have disappeared now.
Euphyllia said:
Are the rocks that were in quarantine with him safe to move back to the main tank even though they were treated?

Update:

I moved him back three days ago. Sadly, he didn't get any better. He developed more splotches, so all it really did was stress him. |(

How can you say that. You moved him, medicated him and he got better. You moved him back and he got sick again. Way more than just stressed him. Treat him again and see what happens.

Thales said:
How can you say that. You moved him, medicated him and he got better. You moved him back and he got sick again. Way more than just stressed him. Treat him again and see what happens.

I noticed the splotches right when I moved him into the new tank, so the meds didn't do anything. It looked like he had gotten better, but I was looking at him in an opaque bucket with a flashlight while he was half under a rock.

On the other hand, he is still alive....
I would not underestimate that. It has been 2 weeks since the start of this thread.

He remained with splotches on him until two weeks ago. He had actually developed large white patches on his chest and I thought he was a goner. By the grace of god, all of the splotches have vanished. I saw the last one about two weeks ago. He is more colorful now than he was when he had the splotches and he seems very happy. He no longer gets scared when I walk up to the tank and he hasn't tried to jump for a long time, yet I'm still taking the precautions of keeping the tank completely covered. He comes out of his hole every now and then to swim around the tank for a bit. Anyways, he's alive and well and hopefully he'll stay that way. :)

Awesome!
Definitely keep the tank covered.
He will jump.
There are only two kinds of blue spot jaw fish.
Those that have jumped and those that will.

JAR said:
He will jump.
There are only two kinds of blue spot jaw fish.
Those that have jumped and those that will.

He's now the kind that has jumped. Found him on the floor next to the tank this morning. He got out through a hole in the cover (the one I made so the skimmer could fit in the tank... and by the way the skimmer doesn't work) smaller than my little finger and my hand is a kid's hand. By the time I got to him he was completely white.

Back