High Tide Aquatics

kessil

Vincerama2 said:
However, having MH and LED are not mutually exclusive!

Agreed. And certainly seems better than the old MH + T5 Actinic combo.
But do not under-estimate the thermal issues.
MH puts out a lot of heat, and that heat will seriously shorten the life of the LEDs.

rygh said:
Agreed. And certainly seems better than the old MH + T5 Actinic combo.
I disagree. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. It's all about what factors matter more to you.
But do not under-estimate the thermal issues.
MH puts out a lot of heat, and that heat will seriously shorten the life of the LEDs.
MH heat can also seriously shorten the life of T5s and even MH. Heck, most coupled systems can cool t5's and overcool MH shortening their lifespan. LED/T5/MH all have optimal operating temperatures. A good design will properly address thermal management for all the cases.

I remember one particular MH representative was visiting a LFS some while back (forgot the company, it was way long ago) actually told me that you shouldn't cool your MH bulbs, because it'll shorten the life... of course he could just be trying to sell more MH bulbs :D

Umm Mike, you say that like its not true..... You do not want to cool a MH too much. You change the color temp, burn the bulb out quicker and put more strain on the ballast.

Nice try though :D

Very very true. This really only became an issue with hoods that have 'AC" ports (air cooling, not air conditioning) like the LAIII. I did see it with my old PFO hood though, it just had a small fan blowing out of it.

The lights do intrigue me. I may and up with a pair in time, but I'm holding out for the possibility of dimming with an external voltage (0-10V)

Back