(kinda urgent) LF: Skimmer

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by Nav, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Nav

Nav Director of Marketing & Photography

My BubbleMagnus NAC 3.5 stopped working. After a vinegar bath it started working but makes squeaking noise (feels like the impeller rubs against the inner walls) its not continuous though... maybe once every 1min or two.

I could risk and continue running it but afraid it might burn or produce heat or leave something into the water?

Here's what I'm looking for:

1) New Atman PH1100 skimmer pump
    2) New/Used NAC 3.5 skimmer (fits my sump)
    3) New/Used SCA 301 skimmer (fits my sump)
    4) New/Used Bubble Magnus Curve 5 (might be a tight fit for my sump)

Please PM me if you have one of these. I'm traveling internationally so sooner the better, thx

2. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Lol, didn't notice it was you that posted on RC. I replied there. But I have a used NAC3.5 I just decommissioned. Body is cracked n repaired but works fine. $40 picked up. Pump is in vinegar bath right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Check the impeller. Does it look like there is a small crack or swelling on the magnet part?
    Not an uncommon failure on most pumps.
    You might be able to sand it off short term and just buy a new propeller. < $20.

Although buying Vincent's seems a lot simpler.

travis furia likes this.
  4. Nav

Yeah, there's no crack or swelling and this one is already my second impeller. I could get a 3rd one ;)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  5. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

It happens on some pumps faster than other. I suspect ca/mineral deposits (or lack thereof) to be a big factor on how long they last.

6. neuro

neuro Webmaster

How old is the pump? You could try to see if they will warranty it, even if it's out of warranty. Your tank should be fine without a skimmer for a week or more.

7. Nav

Alfred, I got the skimmer used (not sure how old) + replaced the impeller once a few months ago. For now I'm borrowing Vincent's NAC3.5 :) Thanks @Vhuang168

BillT and neuro like this.
  8. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

One reason I keep my ancient EV-120 is that it uses a normal pump witohut special impellers. Even then, the Mag5 I've been using has been running continuously ... for FIFTEEN YEARS.

9. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

Sorry ... my post was not at all helpful!

Did you check if the impeller's "bearings" are still intact? The small rubber bits that hold the shaft of the impeller/magnet centered in the pump?

10. Nav

Yes, those are good... I'm running Vincent's pump in my skimmer now and just tested my old pump in a bucket of water and don't hear the squeaking...

Wondering if the pump was not attached right to the body or if the issue magically got fixed!! But still going to use Vincent's pump till I return next week.

11. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Forgot to tell you, I charge by the hour!

12. Nav

Lol, yea I thought we already agreed its $225/hr?

Jokes aside, never know if the problem is fixed or just temporarily working... can't risk my pump burning when I'm gone :)

13. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

I would consider not even running the skimmer, depending on how long I was leaving ... if I didn't 100% trust it.

14. Nav

I'm gone for a week, using Vincent's pump for now and it's doing good.

I'm going to test mine after I'm back n then switch...

15. DapG8Gt

DapG8Gt Guest

If you still need a skimmer or pump when you get back let me know.. I have a spare atman ( No impeller) and a working sca 302 you can have for a piece of coral or something..