Neptune Aquatics

kinetic Reefer 170

A quick video of a new BTA (not the H. Mag). It's starting to move to the back of the tank lol:

And a photo:

38092794326_f3ea311c11_b.jpg

H. Mag doing a whole lot better. After 2 hour drip acclimation, I put him in a breeder box in the display. No excretions. Body is still fully inflated. Foot is holding on. Tentacles still shortened, mouth kind of out, but 50% better than when it was acclimating.

My QT/TT tank is setup and ready for tonight. If he gets worse, I'll cipro starting tonight. Otherwise I'll wait until the morning to see how he is. Given he's been treated before and had a short trip, chances are he probably won't need cipro. Not taking chances though, so I'll observe closely.

38092779946_1636e314db_b.jpg

Did you get iPhone X in the mail too?

Not today, I was a bit slow ordering last Thursday. Mine is coming next week or something. I was refreshing at midnight, but then I got caught up with work. When I looked back, it was 12:45am, and I totally missed the early shipments haha.

Good news! As of 23:45 pacific, H Mag is twice as inflated, tentacles inflated quite a bit, and mouth is almost totally closed up now! He's a bit too big for this box now, but I'll move him onto the pedestal in the morning if his mouth is totally closed up and fully inflated. The ocellaris are so excited to get in there (one already got in twice, geeze).

What a huge improvement over the last few hours.

What would be the best way to pull him out of the box? He's holding on SUPER tight now (I tried to move him to the center of the box, he wouldn't budge). Ice cube?

The start in the box:
38092779946_1636e314db_b.jpg

The clownfish getting in again:
38095011946_0e97d79cff_b.jpg

8 hours later, a tiny bit of improvement, but still looking bad:
38151051941_319a6ec2aa_b.jpg

My setup to keep out the ocellaris:
38151049851_e01b31e371_b.jpg

And a HUGE improvement just now. About 14 hours later:
24303869568_e9f0776f51_b.jpg

38100878106_169b315cdf_b.jpg

Not today, I was a bit slow ordering last Thursday. Mine is coming next week or something. I was refreshing at midnight, but then I got caught up with work. When I looked back, it was 12:45am, and I totally missed the early shipments haha.

Funny.. I was refreshing at midnight and somehow ended up with two. Had no idea until the FedEx guy showed up this afternoon. Hoped for a single charge on my statement, but they definitely got both!

Woke up this morning and the mag was very inflated, tentacles totally fluffed out, and mouth closed tight. So excited!

38172381071_c8d529abe1_b.jpg

The LED's were still super dim as they just came on, so I turned off all the flow and placed the mag on the pedestal. Here's his mouth and the clowns immediately took to it.

37461979894_6f400945be_b.jpg

Sun came out while waiting for the mag to grip the rock (left the pumps off for almost 50 minutes before he decided to plant his whole foot down and do the fried egg thing):

38172376301_8d6ae07fec_b.jpg

Since the flow was off, took the chance to snap a photo from above

37461967884_9d75ea8698_b.jpg

Turned on the flow after almost an hour!

38172371171_48363b68af_b.jpg

Clowns love this thing

38116274236_becae1b9b1_b.jpg

38140515932_73af88bf5a_b.jpg

Lastly some shots from the side

38116266586_164b46036b_b.jpg

38116262976_b06cb92613_b.jpg

38116258386_909c9b9c74_b.jpg

As of 5 minutes ago, the female finally decided to join in on the fun, and promptly kicked everyone out! Rude!

Video uploading to Youtube:

Looks really good Art.

Just hope you didn't doom your BTA by putting such a (potentially) large anemone in the tank with it.

Always potential of doom for all. Heck, one of my clowns was so excited he went from the nem and jumped out of the tank just now. Time to get a lid =P

But overall, really happy I decided to actually / finally get a H. Mag. I know I went back and forth a ton, but I would've regretted not trying it. This one was already kept by a really well seasoned magnifica expert, the coloration was exactly what I wanted in the beginning, and it was small enough for my tank. I think the spot I made for it in the tank looks really great, and I hope it doesn't move!

Video is awesome! Your record of anemone settling in is great to have here. I liked the cheering section of club members along the way.
So do all of the clowns sleep in the H Mag? Does the female try to keep it all for herself? Has it moved from its perch? Anyone going into the BTA? Did they used to go in the BTA? What does the H Mag look like in the night? I guess I am interested in an update when you post!

Video is awesome! Your record of anemone settling in is great to have here. I liked the cheering section of club members along the way.
So do all of the clowns sleep in the H Mag? Does the female try to keep it all for herself? Has it moved from its perch? Anyone going into the BTA? Did they used to go in the BTA? What does the H Mag look like in the night? I guess I am interested in an update when you post!

Thanks Maureen! The cheer squad was incredible. I had quite the support from others too (Derrick / D-Nak helped a ton with his advice and check-ins, and the seller, Gig'em in texas) which made it all possible.

Here's some answers to your questions:

This early morning I woke up at 4am to check on everything. 4 of the 6 clowns were in it, the other two were near by.

The female and alpha male have now chased out all the little ones, even though they were the last to get in. It's a bummer. I can tell how badly the little ones want in. They keep getting closer and closer, then swim away because the mocha gladiators (alpha male and female) constantly patrol the whole mag. It's pretty cool to see actually. The good news is aggression otherwise is totally gone. The little ones don't fight with each other, and the alpha and female just assert their home and that's it. The small mocha swims very close to my BTA's and even looks at them, but he has yet to get in there. They're not nearly as big, and have been on the move since I added that green/purpletip BTA. The new BTA immediately went for the same spot as my Rainbow BTA, I guess it's a good spot. But somehow the green/purpletip pushed out the rainbow to the front (which is great). They're both not totally inflated so they're a bit small now (3"). The Rainbow BTA was 4" fully inflated before, and the green was 7" at the seller's tank inflated. Hopefully they'll get big enough and draw the attention of the small clowns. I don't think I could fit another mag in here ;) The clowns never went to the BTA. I've seen them look at it, but never cared much. When I put the mag into the breeder box, they could NOT stop trying to get in. They loved that thing from the moment they saw it. What a difference! So crazy how a natural host has such a big draw on captive bred clowns that have never seen one before.

The mag hasn't moved from it's perch. It's in the exact same spot I placed him. I guess he likes it there. Currently slowly whips around in a wave motion, it's so beautiful to see, especially with the clowns ducking in and out of it. It's inflated probably 50% more than my last photos. It oscellates from short and squat, to tall and vase like, showing it's base like a vase and rising up high. When it does that, the clowns circle the base like sharks, all the while grazing their faces on the base. It must feel really good?

The mag at night looks no different. I shined a light in there and it was the same. I know some will close up or look different at night, but it was only the first night out in the DT rock, so not sure if it'll be different later. I'll try to take a photo tonight =)

Overall, I love this nem, both because the movement in the water is absolutely mesmerizing and the clownfish look absolutely delighted. I can't believe how freakin happy they look in there. Constantly wiggling, smashing their faces, swimming through. I don't think I'll ever be able to keep ocellaris again without a magnifica.

48 hours update:

Mag goes from tall vase inflation to squat fat. It has to do with the flow in the tank. I have a Maxspect Gyre on the Ocean Gyre Current preset, which will have fairly still periods and then whips it around for a while longer (even sometimes running the impellers backwards). When it's still, the mag gets squat and fat. When the flow is high the mag gets tall and vase like. It's either the mag inflating itself, or the flow pulling it up (maybe a bit of both). The foot is truly just 3" across, but the top is easily 6 - 7".

FTS first:
38163451012_39ac289e8a_b.jpg

Closeup including foot in squat mode:
38163445782_7db54b32cf_b.jpg

Back