Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by kinetic, Jun 19, 2009.
Good deal. Neater is better. Glad it's happy there!
Beautiful pictures Art, what lens do you use to shoot these pictures & setting?
Thanks! The lens I use isn't the best, but it works well. It's a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro lens.
My settings are Aperture Priority, Auto ISO (for fish the slowest shutterspeed I go is 1/300 and up), auto wb, shoot in raw. Everything is auto except my aperture. I usually shoot around F/4 for the fish depending on how shallow I want the depth of field to be.
Thank you Art, your shoots are really beautiful!
My litermeter III is giving me massive headaches. I already talked to Ian about it, but wanted to see if anyone else might have issues.
Way more water is drawn out of the tank than water put in. I've calibrated the pumps many times now, but somehow it's off.
Plumbing is all stopped up - solution: replace or run vinegar solution through them
The pump has just gone bad, need a new one
The controller is messed up
Anybody else have luck troubleshooting their LMIII with anything?
Think of it this way...
What your putting is probably has very little bacteria to create bacterial film, but what your taking out def. will create a bacterial film. Bacterial films are known to cause reduction in tubing like that
Strange that the "taking out" seems to be running a lot more water out of the system. I guess it wouldn't hurt. Will vinegar solution take it out? Will i need something stronger?
Thanks for the quick response Gresham
That is strange...
How is the water drained and is the make up water at a different elevation?
Water drains into the basement and into a drain that is used for the washing machine. New water is made in a 50g brute in the basement as well, approximately at the same elevation.
I know there should be some headloss / plumbing loss, but with the calibrations it should compensate. The two flow rates after calibration are definitely quite different.
I think I'll just try cleaning the plumbing with vinegar solution both ways and recalibrate again. I'll see if that helps any. Otherwise I'm probably going to go talk to spectrapure.
Is the temp of the incoming that same as the tank? Temp difference in most peri lines makes them firmer when cold, which means the pump rate will change. Agreed the calibration should compensate though.
Temp change might be something... everything is in the basement, so at night it should be at least 5 degrees cooler, if not more in the basement. I do, unnecessarily, run a heater in the 50g brute, but it's a small one and probably doesn't heat it up enough. Which reminds me, I should only have the heater on when I'm mixing new water =/ freaking waste of electricity, though without it, the flow rates at night might be worse.
I wonder if it's bad enough at night to change things. I'm intrigued. I think I'll run the system through a small container again, and observe the differences between day/night. Theoretically, the water level in the container should stay constant, at least between cycles.
K two things:
First, really exciting to see, my clownfish laid their first eggs! i've never had a pair lay eggs before. This is awesome. These are my black photon's eggs:
[img width=500 height=336]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4085/5205563439_c63cd17e4e.jpg[/img]
Second, I think I got a bad sunburn on my upper lip from the halides. Is this normal? I was only under there for like 5 minutes. The glass on my fixture is in place. It's a DE so it requires the tempered glass, but I totally got burnt. I usually can't even get burned out in the sun without sunscreen (I do wear it when I go outside tho). The lighting is a giesemann infiniti, 2x250watt HQI 4x50watt T5.
I got to get some flow in my tank.
Vinegar water solution now flowing through my litermeter pumps... I'm going to pump 2.5 gallons through each (input and output pumps).
Richard: Yeah, more flow wouldn't hurt =) The assessors might not come out as much though.
Oh yeah, posted this in a different post, but I just took photos of my auto feeder setup with custom made acrylic (black) bracket.
Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/_DSC9055_0.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/_DSC9059_0.jpg
Nice job on the bracket
You take ridiculous pics!
Big Surprise: I have one also, mounted in the same place on my Elos 120 (Hermano!). I'll bet you load it with the same "super secret micro pellet combination" that I do.
Yeah I have some super secret combo... it's actually so secret I don't even know what it is. Seriously. I listened to Ian, he said it was good, so I said "I'm In!"
I do have to say, my fish have colored up a lot, and look way healthier than before. My Bartletts especially.