Reef nutrition

Kinetic's ELOS 120

It is worth noting their lumens/watt rating which is for their 6k bulb. Pretty sure it is better then MH 6k lumen/watt. However, this means nothing without similar spectrums... Spectrum != kelven

Well some halides (and this is from old data too mind you) can be upwards of 115 lumens per watt, which is why I'm not really ga-ga over this technology, as cool as it seems, until I see something more aquarium friendly :)

sfsuphysics said:
What are the color temperatures of these plasma lamps? Going by the literature it looks like ~6000K is the "bluest" they offer in the "40 series". I cringe very deeply whenever people compare outputs of two different mediums without specifying exactly what they're comparing. I mean if you're comparing to certain 20000K bulbs, hell you can the equivalent of a 400W output with only 250W if your 250W is closer to the 10kK region, and your 400W is up in the 20's just with metal halides. I believe the Solaris LED had this little bit of controversy when they claimed one of their 24" hunks was equivalent to a 175W MH bulb... conveniently choosing a 20kK XM I believe which doesn't have much output (regardless of the ballast).

6500 vs 6500

sfsuphysics said:
Going from the reef builder's site
Aqua Illumination Plasma Lighting gets closer to reality
This is from last week, I doubt you could get these plasma lamps unless you had an in at the company who produces them for a little while. Plus if these things are such hot sh*t as they're being portrayed, there most likely will be some long waitlist when they do come out (I think the Solaris had a pretty good sized pre-order waitlist as well).

Anyone can call and order the kit direct from luxim. No "in's" o/r wait list required.
sfsuphysics said:
There really is no sense getting hyped about a technology if you can't buy it,
So the fact he can buy it means he should go get it :p

thanks for all the replies!

the house won't be done until I suspect December (as a safe bet). But I'm going to just start the research now, seems like there's a lot of advancements going on right now, it would be great to keep a close eye out on these things.

Though if I get too bored, it wouldn't be bad to try it out where the tank is now ;)

There is an interested potential advantage. This source is not a spherical source, but rather a lambertian source with no restrike. This has sizable implications on the optics ends...but that is a matter of someone wanting to exploit this potential.

sfsuphysics said:
GreshamH said:
Hey if he wants to be a guinea pig, more power to him :)

You are just the typical nay sayer I'm afraid. "Skeptic" should be a part of your sig :lol: or "devils advocate" :p

There is a lot not being shared with you on this subject as some is not for public consumption yet. If they allow the release, watch RB for more details.

I first heard about this more then 10 years ago IIRC. A hydroponic magazine did a feature article on it. It was a NASA project back then, or one funded via NASA. Tony, do you remember this? I think I still have the magazine some place.

It was the "next" big thing then all news about it stopped for many years until a few years ago when it resurfaced. Now I have to find the article :lol:

Interestingly then, at about that time, the lab I was in was generating plasma flames etc lol. It wasn't for a lighting purpose though ;)

GreshamH said:
sfsuphysics said:
GreshamH said:

You are just the typical nay sayer I'm afraid. "Skeptic" should be a part of your sig :lol: or "devils advocate" :p

I have neither the money nor the resources to bank on a "new" technology in the hopes it'll work the way I want, I'll let other people be the beta testers.

Gomer said:
"I'll give you an A this year in Astronomy if you...."

I think I fixed your post. IIRC he's not teaching physics anymore :)

sfsuphysics said:
GreshamH said:
sfsuphysics said:
GreshamH said:

I have neither the money nor the resources to bank on a "new" technology in the hopes it'll work the way I want, I'll let other people be the beta testers.

Like institutions on the level of let's say MBA? :p

They data they collected is very promising.

I talked to Greg @ reefgeek via email, I think I will probably invest in the AquaIllumination once they've caught up with orders. Plasma seems a bit new and rough around the edges so far, I'll probably just wait for something consumer to come out before jumping on it. No time right now to fiddle around with them right now.

The problem with the AquaIllumination, I don't think the 12" pods are hangable without modification. Sucks to pay lots of dough for something that needs to be hacked.

Sfiligoi has some stuff, but they're more than twice the cost of the AquaIllumination for not much other than a hangable solution.

Ideas?

If they fab inhouse, for the price you pay, they can should be able to tap some holes into the frame for free for you to screw in the predetermined cable system.

GreshamH said:
Gomer said:
"I'll give you an A this year in Astronomy if you...."

I think I fixed your post. IIRC he's not teaching physics anymore :)
Not that it's anyone's business but...

I teach whatever I can teach, as a part-time instructor with very few openings for full time work anywhere local I try to make a living any way I can. Currently I teach astronomy, because the school I work at is one of the few that has two separate departments, one physics and another of astronomy, I happened to be hired in the dept of astronomy, so I teach that currently, I only teach at one school because I don't feel like commuting all over they bay. Last I taught physics was about a year ago, doesn't mean I've given up on it though.

Back