Reef nutrition

Kinetic's ELOS 120

sfsuphysics said:
GreshamH said:
Gomer said:
"I'll give you an A this year in Astronomy if you...."

I think I fixed your post. IIRC he's not teaching physics anymore :)
Not that it's anyone's business but...

I could have simply pulled up another thread where you posted what you were teaching ;)

No way do I want Tony destroying my toilet! Now if he only stayed for a few minutes before hopping back on BART for the long ride home... ooh that could be funny :)

PS Hi Art! :D

Gomer said:
If they fab inhouse, for the price you pay, they can should be able to tap some holes into the frame for free for you to screw in the predetermined cable system.

Sorry for taking this discussion off the topics of toilet destruction =) but talked to Greg at ReefGeek and he confirmed that the light racks have hanging points on them. I'm going to see if I can contact AquaIllumination to see if hanging each 12" module would be possible. It would be neat if I could independently hang each one, might look kind of nice.

I'm also considering maybe only doing three 12" modules, and grouping them towards the middle. My rocks are currently all bunched in the middle with no corals around it. Kind of minimalistic. If I do three modules, the ends might not be able to house any light requiring animals, but might also look cool spotlighty. I'll probably just get the 4 modules and experiment a bit. If anything I could use one as a backup or mini prop tank light.

Anyway, I also just ordered the LiterMeter III and Water Exchange module. If I set it up for 10% water change per week, would that be equivalent to doing one big 10% change once a week? Or is it smarter to do like 30% water change per week with the litermeter?

If I set it up for 10% water change per week, would that be equivalent to doing one big 10% change once a week? Or is it smarter to do like 30% water change per week with the litermeter?

I'm not sure how that works, but I believe that takes a set total amount, so if 10% of your volume is 10 gallons, and you set it to 10g it will in fact not the same as doing 1 big 10% water change. I forget Tony's formula he uses, I'm sure it's somewhere in this thread, or perhaps Jason's.

As to your second part, you're asking if it's smarter to change 3x as much water?

Art I have a lot of sources for very nice hanging hardware. Let me know if you need any tips or places to get it at :)

GreshamH said:
Art I have a lot of sources for very nice hanging hardware. Let me know if you need any tips or places to get it at :)

When the time comes, I'm definitely going to need some hanging hardware, unless the light manufacturer is accommodating enough to get me a whole set that I'd need to hang each module. Thank you for the offer!

So the contractors I got for my house have been super shady, so the house remodel is going to take a lot longer than expected. I'm tired of paying tons of electricity bills just to keep a scarlet cleaner shrimp, and a few hundred snails... so I decided to just start the restock the tank ;)

It's been "cycling" for about a year and a half now, corraline somehow made it's way into the tank (probably on the original trochus snails i brought in) and started growing everywhere. I'm thinking of getting a longspine urchin to eat that all up.

Since I only had a shrimp and snails, I've only done one water change a month, and snails seem to all be happy (evident by the number of babies they're having). I did a pretty big water change last week and added a pair of Sanjay Black Photon clownfish, and a few chromis from Ocean's Treasures.

My frag tank that was holding all my corals went through two small crashes, one was the light died while on vacation, the other was a powerstrip gone bad, causing my chiller to never kick in roasting them all. Sorry for those waiting on some stuff I had =(

So anyway, going to go hunt for some SPS soon. in terms of fish, I might go the mobert way and fill it with a few clownfish ;)

Setting up a QT tank this weekend for some upcoming frags... also setting up my new spectrapure water exchange pump things. Going to use a 50g resevoir to mix the saltwater, the waste water will go into a drain, and I'll have a 30g fresh water RO/DI resevoir waiting.

I'm planning on going with a group of clownfish from Robin when they're ready (4 months), but for now these are the current inhabitants in a new video I just took (excuse the salt creep and lack of cleaning! I haven't cleaned the glass in almost 8 months. Good to have little phosphates and no pest algae):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC5kV27egfU

Starting to do some cleaning in the sump today. Took out all the pumps except the return and have them running in a vinegar water bath. I'll probably take them out in the morning.

I'm also giving my skimmer a vinegar bath to clean it up. I'll give it one last go before I call it quits.

I'm probably going to simplify my system a bit, it looks nice when the sump is all cleared out. I'm getting rid of the fuge light (I don't have any macro right now anyway), and a few other pumps.

Getting rid of my 4g Remote Deep Sand Bed, not sure if that ever worked. So that's one less pump to worry about.

Elite said:
You haven't clean that tank in 8 months and it looks that clean??

Yeah dude, cool huh? the beauty of not using live rock to seed, and also I had the lights off for most of those months anyways so algae didn't really build up.

All the hitch-hiked algae and corraline came from my first go around of trochus snails. Next time I get another tank setup, I'm going to use baby ones that I get from some spawn and scrub their shells clean first.

dont mean to sound like a old lady BUT.... better play by the rules and QT those fish this time around. in the last yr. there have been a lot of flukes at the wholesalers.

A few new things:

Picked up a super red BTA today from Atlantis Aquariums. Their 15% off coral sale was pretty cool, I guess anemone's count =) it's tiny, about 3" in diameter max. The foot looks good, brown with no damage. It's not noticeably sticky though, but I'm not well versed in nem stickiness. I put him in after a good hour of acclimation, foot first into a crack where his top would look out into 2x250watt 15K iwasaki halide goodness with some 55w t5's. Should be light enough =)

Started setting up my Auto Water Changer. Two water exchange modules hooked up to a Litermeter III. I ran them for about 30 minutes each on a dry run to "break them in" as the instructions said. I'm currently mixing up 50g of new saltwater (RO/DI and Seachem Reef Salt). Once that's done and heated, I'm going to try calibrating up to the tank (using a little jar of water just to test with). The waste is still draining, so I might waste a few jars of water, but that'll be OK.

I've stuck a Eheim 1260 in the 50g resevoir to keep the water mixed, and it turns on for 6 hours during the night, and sleeps for the rest of the day. The heater is always on. Will that be enough to stir the tank?

Back