KLEMS SCA 50g cube

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Klems, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

Since the tank has been in the garage since Thanksgiving while I got the stand / canopy and plumbing sorted out, I figure it is about time I start a tank journal. Today with the help of my nephew, we got the tank on the stand!!! Here are a few pics...

Attached Files:

2. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Looking forward to the progress

3. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

Got the sump all setup and plumbing glued...Installed my dosing lines and skimmer fits nicely. Also got the equipment side all wired, just waiting for some wire clips to keep the wires nice and neat. Also mounted the canopy with SB Reef light and just finished the frame for the screen top....Now I get to ponder Aquascape and what type of sand to get...

Attached Files:

coral4me and tankguy like this.
  4. Baykes

Baykes Supporting Member

Looks good, I like that floating hood, looks clean! One thing you might want to think about before you fill the tank is it appears to be close to a window. This could potentially cause issues with algae. Just my $.02

5. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

I have kept my biocube there for the past two years without any issues...Only gets about 30-60 minutes a day at most...

6. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

What type of light is that? Cool idea mounting it like that. I was looking at your aquascape idea and wonder what are the dimensions of your cube?

7. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

It's a SB Reef Light... The wife didn't want it hung from the ceiling or on a TV mount....So I came up with this idea...Dimensions are 24x24x20H

MolaMola likes this.
  8. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

Ok, rocks have arrives....Here are a couple of scapes I have tried so far. What do you think?

Attached Files:

Gablami likes this.
  9. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

I like the 2nd one but be aware that, depending on how high the sand will be, the center section will have sections of very low flow. Any left over food/fish waste will get trapped there and become a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

Here is what it is looking like in the tank....Still have another small island to place in the front left

Front shot
    Top down
    Left side

Attached Files:

11. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Looks good to me

12. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

I think this is the final scape....Next is to add sand and water....
    Full tank shot
    Left front
    Right front
    Left side
    Top down
    Front view

Attached Files:

13. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

Ok, new tank question....When I am adding saltwater to my new setup, can I just mix it cold to correct salinity and then put it into the DT and let the heater and pumps warm it up to temperature since nothing is in it, or do I need to add it at 78°?

14. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Temperature does effect salinity. When I've started my tanks I just add the rodi to the dt and let it sit overnight with the heater running to get it to the right temperature and then add the salt to the tank. Just make sure not to add too much or else you'll need to take water out and add more rodi water to dilute it. Just a big hassle.

15. Vhuang168

You want to add salt into cold water.

Manufacturers usually have a recommended weight/volume to gallon guide for achieving correct salinity. Red Sea's numbers are spot on every time.

16. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

I added the salt to cold water....And mixed it to 35ppt. Just wanted to know if I could add it cold to the DT or if I needed to warm it first.

17. Vhuang168

It doesn't matter in your case since it's a new setup. I would put it in cold then run the plumbing as the water heats up to check if everything works as installed.

Coral reefer likes this.
  18. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

Perfect...Thanks!

19. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

Final Aquascape before sand and water....

Attached Files:

jepoy likes this.
  20. Paratore

Paratore Guest

Really like the aquascape!!!! Nice work!