Neptune Aquatics

Kraqus Bowfront Tank FOWLR

I searched and searched CL and finally found a great deal on all this equipment for $200

P1000250.jpg

P1000261.jpg

P1000306.jpg

P1000308.jpg

Benny

Last week got some goodies at my LFS

This is dead rock as dead as it can be....LOL!
But that is the way I want it.

P1000278.jpg

P1000279.jpg

10 lbs of dead sand and 20 lbs of live reef sand

P1000280.jpg

These are 25 gallons of Monterrey Bay Sanctuary natural sea water

P1000283.jpg

Benny

I soaked the Rock for 24 hrs and gave it a good scrub the day before.
I also stop at another LFS and saw a couple of flat rocks that I really liked.

P1000286.jpg

Prepping the tank prior to setup.
I added a black background using oil and squeegeeing the bubbles out then sealing the corners with clear tape.

P1000324.jpg

P1000320.jpg

Benny

This is my tank currently cycling:

P1000372.jpg

I am also cycling and old 5 gallon tank at the bottom.

P1000366.jpg

They are not connected at the moment but they will eventually. I am planning on running a sump for chaeto and pods to feed the crew whenever possible.

Benny

I stared "Ghost feeding" the tank to spike the ammonia a bit.

P1000398-1.jpg

And after a week.......finally some life..... the first algae break.
You can see all the Brown/Yellowish spots. They are everywhere now, including the sand.

P1000396-1.jpg

This is the "Man Cave" where my first tank of many to come will be.
Sorry it's kind of messy, I am still finishing up the room. I need to fix a drywall and paint some more.

P1000260.jpg

P1000259.jpg

Benny

Nice tank thread. I always like following how a tank develops. As a newbie take my advice with a grain of salt, but it looks like your rocks are very vertical, which might limit places to place coral.

Yes, they are but again this will be a FOWLR tank.
The reason I am starting with fish only is because I want to prove myself a good fish keeper first. I am still reading and learning about how to keep a reef tank and I STILL
have more to learn. I have not even started to read about corals yet so that will be another chapter in my journey.

Why rush? right?
I want to make sure I do it right form the beginning thoroughly researching everything, every fish and invertebrates that will go in, I am learning about their Habitats and living conditions, food sources, etc......

I also intent to go BIGGER eventually.
I can confidently say that I will stick to this tank for a year or more, let it mature with fish only.
I will then get a bigger tank and reuse all the stock and live rock, add some more rock and then tackle Corals.

Thanks for your comments !

Benny

Well, not sure yet but whatever is going in, is going to be small as in really small.
I went to my LFS the other day and I saw the smallest Yellow watchman Goby I have ever seen. It was the size of a nickel. I also saw a couple of clowns under 2 inch.

Benny

Full water parameters:

I am puzzled.
I have "Ghost fed" the tank once and I don't see any ammonia whatsoever but I do see Nitrites and Nitrates....what's up with that? Should I up the feeding a bit more? If there is NO ammonia how can there be Nitrites?

I seem to have misplaced the Ph saltwater chart so I am using the Freshwater one.
How different the reading will be compare with the Saltwater one? Am I too far off?

P1000444-1.jpg

Salinity.

Right now it reads 1.026 and from what I read it should be between 1.020 and 1.024....the Hydrometer I am using even has that comfort zone in red. The thing is that I am using Natural sea water from the Monterrey Bay Sanctuary in California, this is as natural as it gets but it's high.... isn't it?

Should this be a problem and if so How can I lower it? by adding distilled water?

P1000434-1.jpg

Any input will be greatly appreciated.....Thank you guys!

Benny

Don't trust the hydrometer, a refractometer is the way to go. Hydrometers can be way off.
Good start with the tank, you have a rock wall, consider making a pillar or tunnel, it's nice seeing fish swing around and in the rockwork. I think you're on the right path with small fish, there are a lot of really cool small gobies that can make nice additions, plus their bioload is miniscule. I like the highfig goby (you can pair w/ pistol shrimp), striped gobie, clown goby (i.e. 'gumdrop') and blue cleaner goby to name a few.

Is the test kit new?
You could test a fresh salt mix for comparison.
You may need the salt water chart for PH but I think that blue color is in the proper range.

JAR said:
Is the test kit new?
You could test a fresh salt mix for comparison.
You may need the salt water chart for PH but I think that blue color is in the proper range.

Yes it is Fairly new. I also use it to test my Daughter's Goldfish tank and I have also tested on Fresh water.
Yeah from what I read my Ph should be 8.0 and beyond and it seems like it's OK for now.

Thanks!

Benny

Water Parameters WEEK 2
What do you think?

P1000445-1.jpg

I now have green algae growing as well as brown. Some shots:

P1000460-1.jpg

P1000457-1.jpg

P1000458-1.jpg

This coming weekend I will do a water change and if the parameters still look good I will add my first CUC, perhaps a couple of Hermit crab and some snails.....Shrimp too?

Ideas? Anyone?

Benny

Back