High Tide Aquatics

Kyle's 40G sps Reef

kvosstra

Supporting Member
So, I promised that I would finally post something to my tank logs. So, Ill begin with the tank that I believe looks the best!

My wife, who is very patient with my fish hobby! actually enjoys this tank - it resides in our bedroom, and adds a wonderful calming sound to the room.

The tank is a standard 40 gallon breeded - glass aquarium. It also includes a custom 18gallon (or so) frag tank make by Gen at Kritter tanks.
The overflow is homemade of 1/4 acrylic and is in the center of the tank - the drain is drilled as a 2" drain in the middle of the back of the tank. It makes a little noise, but oh well.

The return is a mag 7 that pumps to both sides of the tank on a SCWD - I have not cleaned this for 18 months or more, and I really dont know if its even working anymore - I guess I could clean it, but the tank is doing fine!

Under the tank is a 15 gallon sump - split into 3 compartments - a tiny spot for the coral life skimmer, pump return, and mini fuge.

Also in the pump return is a mag 5 which flows to my chiller first, then the chiller return flows into the frag tank. The frag return then drains to the refugium.

There is a KR2 calcium reactor which sits underneath the stand, as well as a 5lb Co2 tank. These are controlled by the ACIII Pro which runs the tank.

The tank is lit by a 4 bulb Tek fixture - 2 blue+ and 2 aquablue special. I love this light combo!
The frag tank is lit by a 4x24 T5 - with a Ice cap 660 - there are also 2 blue+ and 2 aquablue special on that. Orginally I ran the frag tank with just 2x24 T5 - but it was not enough light for my tastes - so I added the 660 and 2 more bulbs...it now adds significant heat to the tank and really blows the coral away with light - the frag tank is only lit for 7 hours a day. the main tank is on for 13 hours.

Top off on the tank is via a Tunze osmolator - connected to a Tunze Kalk dispensor. The osmolator is great, the Kalk dispensor sucks! Dont buy it if you are considering it. It hardly stirs the Kalk in the bottom and I think it does very little for the tank as a whole!

There is about 60 pounds of live rock in the tank - I think its all figi rock - its is very overgrown with corals at this point! There is some algae in the tank, halamedea and caluerpa - it is a battle I fight about twice a month, to manually remove as much of it as I can. But, I need some caluarpa for the breeding trio of royal gramma that inhabit the tank.

The fish are a trio of gramma, pair of ocellaris clownfish and a blue tang. The tang will likely need to move to my 180 soon, it was introduced to eat the caluerpa...it has not done its job! I'm considering a flame fin tomini instead, or just putting my rabbitfish in there for a few weeks to try it out.

part 2 to follow...

The tank moved with me from my house in Mountain View. I unfortunately seem to have lost the photos of the move, but, Ill see what I can find in the coming weeks.
Here is a shot of the tank about a year ago. In this shot, you can see the 4 powerheads that were added to the tank - 2 modded tunze nano 6025's and 2 koralia 2's. There is a lot of flow in the tank!
2908779140_f0949a94db.jpg

More to come later!

Nice tank Kyle! Absolutely gorgeous!
Question about your M. digitata colonies! I noticed you have a nice sized purple colony pretty close on the left of that uber large green Acropora colony. Do you find your M. digitata grows into the Acropora, or does it grow "around" it?
I have a purple digi colony myself that is growing close to a A. tenius colony I have ... wondering if I should prune the digitata back, or let it do its thing :)

Anthony - Thanks for the compliment!

I find that the digitata does grow over this particular coral. However, each acropora is unique - this particular coral loses to all other acros in the tank, FWIW, since its touched by a ca tort, and the raspberry prostrata in the back right.

I would just prune it...if they grow over eachother, it becomes a big mess.

Quick update on the tank - I have been bad at pruning back the caluerpa and it is starting to get a bit out of control in there. At the moment I'm completely re-doing my 180 gallon tank, dipping all rocks in acid and then rinsing them, as well as been removing 1/4 (probably more like 1/10th the sand each week and rinsing it in fresh water! - The sand has just become a nutrient sink, and my once vibrant corals have suffered.

Anyway, back to this tank - I am thinking of taking my large scribbled rabbitfish out of the 180 and putting it into the 40 for a few days. I really would like to not feed the 40 for a few days and let the rabbit just mow down the caluerpa. Of course, I'm worried that putting that huge fish in the small tank would cause a total disaster, and that in the end I would not be able to get the fish out (easily), or it would harm other inhabitants, or it would not eat the algae and just be a pain in the arse...anyone have thoughts on this?

I was hoping to have some time this weekend to take a few more pictures, but with the stanford v. Oregon game on Saturday as well as going with my wife to the Stanford field hockey championship game (she played on the team when she was at Stanford), I may be full for Saturday. Sunday is usually for work, so might not get a lot done this weekend.

Anyway, I hope to find a few moments to take some new pics and upload them - I need to get the clippers out too, so Ill have a few DBTC for some of the nice basic corals - maybe Ill just do at DBTC of all my monti's in the tank...

Have a great evening everyone!

I hate when work gets in the way of reefing! I was all set to make some huge strides on the tanks...and then SLAM!!! just killed with work! I have my quarantine tank all set up - the two tunze 6100's set up in there on a weir, moon light installed, just needed to remove my 4 blub ATI and mount it over the tank. I bought 5 bottles of Revive to dip all my colonies and I have already removed all the colonies from their encrused bases and killled (bleach and/or acid bath) the rocks to clean them...but...but...didnt have time to move everything to the QT tank.

Not to mention that I have 4 empty breeding tanks, waiting to get plumbed with a return, so they can be filled. right now I have clownfish pairs in every possible location! A pair in my frag tank, two pairs in my 180 refugium, 2 pairs in my breeding sump, and a pair each in my 40 and 180 gallon displays. Oh well!

Anyway, I wont update for a few weeks again, which sucks - becuase I finally picked up my pair of mature A picasso clowns from my buddy in LA, and they dont have a home yet. Hopefully the juv. pair of onxy will be nice!

Anyway, Its going to be a late night - then off to Philly for the weekend with the wife, before heading back here for a day. Then fly out for depositions in Ohio on Monday. Travel again the two subsequent weeks, and then my family arrives from London...UGH!

Happy holidays to everyone!

Best,

No updates on this thread in a few months - so I will try to post a few last pictures...I have some nice shots of the tank just before D-day, and Ill end (for now), with a few shots of the newly cleaned tank, ready to be moved and relocated to my new home.

...I will however, do my best to take more pictures and update much more frequently when I start this tank anew. It should be fun to start from the beginning and see how it grows. Thanks everyone!

Wait no pics of an empty tank? :D

Good luck Kyle, let me know where you land and do go say hi to Jim Hall at World Wide Aquarium in Upper Darby, he's the OG.

I really wanted to take pics of the empty tank - and totally forgot to do so...
the tank is now packed in the POD and we leave on Thursday - I promise to do my best to take pictures of the tank as I set it back up...
I trust this group of friends and reefers about helping me on decisions regarding rocks, corals, fish, etc. and so I will continue to be a part of this club that has been my home for the better part of the past 10+ years.

We're staying with my wife's parents for a few weeks (at least), so tank wont be set up until we get our own spot...which could be a matter of days, you know, moving in with the in-laws...

Good luck Kyle! I'm sure you'll keep us posted on your tank progression, please contact Jim Hall @ WWA in Upper Darby, let him know you're a friend and he won't steer you wrong :)

Hi all!

We made an offer on a house last week and did not get it. However...we have made a new offer on a 2nd home. This house has a wonderful room that has a 10 foot wall, that the wife agrees would be perfect for a reef!!! Behind the wall is a large closet that has water hookups! This could be the home for my reef!

Anyway, I will take photos of the tank (its in the garage, with piles of other stuff!), and I will be looking for advice from you all, when I get to set the tank back up! Crossing my fingers, I hope the offer goes through!

kvosstra said:
Hi all!

We made an offer on a house last week and did not get it. However...we have made a new offer on a 2nd home. This house has a wonderful room that has a 10 foot wall, that the wife agrees would be perfect for a reef!!! Behind the wall is a large closet that has water hookups! This could be the home for my reef!

Anyway, I will take photos of the tank (its in the garage, with piles of other stuff!), and I will be looking for advice from you all, when I get to set the tank back up! Crossing my fingers, I hope the offer goes through!

Woo Hoo! Chester County?

Back