Kessil

Kyle's 40G sps Reef

Well - thanks for the hopes guys...but, someone made an all cash offer and took the house. I'm frustrated, but my wife is devastated. This is the 2nd house we did not get, and she is having a hard time with this. We have to "love" a house to make an offer, but then to just have your hopes crushed when you don't get it, is not sitting well with her. There will be others. Unfortunately, this delays my tank....again!

Bummer too, since that home has such a perfect spot for that 300g+ tank I wanted!!!

-Kyle

That sucks, the difficulty is compounded in the area you're looking in with all of the Cape Cod style homes, if you're not into them then there goes a huge percentage of the houses.

We like that style of home - but there are a lot of variations within - the tough part is getting the right neighborhood, the right commute, the right amount of work left to do on the house, and, last but not least, the right price. We really like some houses, and they have sat for over a year, but the owner's still think they are worth 100K or more than their true value, so...its hard to negotiate with such people.
Bummer is that when we made our first offer, the interest rate was 4.350, now its nearly 5.0% Damn! What a bummer!

Third time's a charm! We have made an offer on a home and its been accepted! We decided on a smaller home in a much better neighborhood, so the plans for the 500g tank will be on hold for a bit, but my 40g is going to be up and running soon!
There is a good amount of space in the basement, so Ill probably utilize some of that space for the tank, but lots to be determined!
Happy new year everyone!

Here's the house - http://www.trulia.com/property/3033564290-130-Avon-Rd-Haverford-PA-19041
not a ton of pictures - but you can get a general idea. We are thinking of adding a 2nd story, probably in 2-3 years, when we are fairly likely to be 4 members of the household, instead of the current 3.

Now, just need to find the camera battery, so I can show of pics of the tank, in all its current glory (packed dry, in the garage!)

Wow a house and three buildable lots, nice score. ;) Congratulations. I miss our house in Durham, NC. Not much beats the feeling of smashing a wall out, or pulling the kitchen and rebuilding it.

yardartist said:
Wow a house and three buildable lots, nice score. ;) Congratulations. I miss our house in Durham, NC. Not much beats the feeling of smashing a wall out, or pulling the kitchen and rebuilding it.

Richard you can bash my kitchen in and rebuild it if it would make you feel better.

Congrats on the house. My very first homeowner task was to put a 30A 220 feed into my garage for my tanks!!

Sweet place and almost 1/2 acre!
Better get a riding lawn mower!
Adding a second floor is usually a much bigger deal than one would think.
Be careful.

No pictures yet - but I am fielding opinions from you all, the experts!

So, I want to keep this tank pristine, i.e. no parasites and no algae problems. I "think" i have a good understanding of parasites, but they are down the road - however, lets talk about proper "new tank" set-up and how to best avoid algae problems.

I will be using my old 40g tank - Ill order new bulbs and probably two new eheim 1260 pumps to run the tank(s). I have dry rock that I acid washed, before I moved, and its ready to go into the tank - this tank will have less sand and less rock than before. I am going with 2 black clowns and 3 royal gramma's as my fish.

So...when I add ASW, what do I do? Should I dose with some bacteria (e.g. Probidio?), run the tank from day 1 with phosban? Low lights for first month or two? Please give me your input! Tank is going up in 6 weeks!

If you remember my tank - I have a 20g frag tank that is run in parallel, so one pump pushes through the chiller and into that tank...so its necessary, unfortunately!

Ill certainly need a chiller in the summers - its blistering hot here, and not sure how we are going to run the AC...The good thing about a new tank, is that I can plan the plumbing and get it just right! I want to run my CA reactor, and two phosban reactors off the pumps too, so that should make a difference. I am tired of having so many powerheads in the tank, even if they are just in the sump. My plan for this is to simply make the tank clean and neat...TBD I guess!

OK - So looking for some comments...

1. Would you add a bacterial starter to the tank, e.g. Probidio, or something similar. (tank will be started with dry rock and sand, so need something to start the process, I think!)
2. Pictures will be here, as soon as I can find my camera battery charger!

Prodibio is cool, the Bio-Digest is good for starting tanks, you may want to add a little bit of carbon source since you'll be starting with a somewhat sterile tank.

Back