got ethical husbandry?

Laptop Advice Please

go to the Apple store, and request for an hour demo. I think you can schedule an appointment online.

I have both mac and pc, like them both. pc for work, and mac for home, doing all the media stuffs. I still use XP, have not upgrade to Win7. I heard that most of old softwares running XP cannot run in Windows 7. So this could be a big minus, if you buy a new PC running Win7, but you have no software.

Huh I hadn't heard that about win 7, just the opposite in fact. I have Win Ultimate sitting here with Win 7 as well and haven't installed either yet.

Took me a while to go to windows myself, I didn't like windows 3.11 I loved dos though, was a breeze to get everything working, hell probably one reason why I loved my Amiga 500, you had your windows, but the CLI was integrated into it so you can actually type out commands :D

I've always been a slow adopter to the windows OS in any shape too, I only switch to Win95 when a majority of games I wanted to play required it, Win98 I switched over only when the SE version came out running WinNT4.0 on a 486 is not really advised :D, skipped ME, XP was a god send and have been using that ever since, I bought a Win7 key online through one of those school discount programs ($30) just for when WinXP finally gets shelved or the support dries up.

Mike, my boss's father has a mac, but as a control freak, he stripped OSX so that EVERYTHING is command line driven. No GUI what so ever.

Still looking. I have a basic question, though. The new Icore Intel processors seem to quote slower speeds than their older duo-core processors. That seems counter intuitive to me. Any opinions on which we should get? Assuming we don't go Mac.

For a long time now "speed" hasn't really mattered, Think of it like getting high Mega pixel camera, if you know about cameras the higher MP really doesn't mean much it's just a marketing number. What really matters is the sensor in the Camera.

Same concept goes with computers, higher MHZ really doesn't mean much anymore, it's what the CPU can do with those MHZ. Modern CPU's are more efficient and can do more worth with less MHZ/GHZ.

Telling you go with the laptop i recommended ;-).

patchin said:
Still looking. I have a basic question, though. The new Icore Intel processors seem to quote slower speeds than their older duo-core processors. That seems counter intuitive to me. Any opinions on which we should get? Assuming we don't go Mac.

the "iCores" i3, i5, i7 are simply Intel's latest generation of multi-processors chips. i3 I believe is ones used in laptops/low energy situations. They work in a different fashion than the Core2Duo/QuadCore designs so I wouldn't use cycle speed to compare between the two.

I would take a 2.66Ghz i7 over a 3.00 Ghz QuadCore any day.

but an i7 is a quad core.... and mine is clocked at 4 Ghz....
DSCF0888.JPG

Personally I like my new Asus with SU7300 ultra low voltage over a cheapo i3

I would choose between a new c2d ultra low voltage or an i5/i7, but not an i3

Gomer said:
Steve, did you and T go to an apple store to give the macbook a try?
So far we look at them at Fry's but the guy helping us was a Windows kinda guy and didn't really do anything with the Apple. Just told us the Windows PCs are much better????

Over MANY MANY years of dealing with FRYs, I have found that ith extremely rare exception, FRY's employees are not to be trusted (. So rare, that you should consider it a rule. They just aren't that well informed, nor....bright. This isn't to say the employee isn't right, but he doesn't know why if he is lucky to be :p

If you want to test drive a new Toyota, you don't go to a Ford dealership's used car lot :p Go to the apple store if you want to try an apple. A PC store will say a PC better. An apple store will say an apple is better. If you want to be better informed, sample both biased sides. If you hate the mac, that's fine. If you hate the PC, that's fine. Just be well informed :)

Not to mention Fry's salespersons are paid commissions on sales, so they do have other motives than finding out what you want.

Back when I got my widescreen panny (back in the rear projection days) I had two knuckleheads jumping all over me, they agreed to share the commission (weren't even quiet about it in front of me), then I found out it'd cost $60 extra to deliver I went to Circuit City had them price match + 10% + free shipping... DONE!

I've heard some Fry's horror stories...

One of my friends bought a hard drive from them. He installed it in his computer, and the drive squealed like crazy when powered up.

His brother, geeky guy that he is, disassembled the drive to see what was going on.

Inside, on the drive platter, he found someone had written with Magic Marker, "F#&%ED".

Turns out that the store had a shrink wrap machine in the back, and they just repackaged the returns and defective items and stuck them back on the shelves.

I never buy from Fry's.

sfsuphysics said:
Back when I got my widescreen panny (back in the rear projection days) I had two knuckleheads jumping all over me, they agreed to share the commission (weren't even quiet about it in front of me), then I found out it'd cost $60 extra to deliver I went to Circuit City had them price match + 10% + free shipping... DONE!
That's what we did with our LCD TV. Fry's had a good price, so we took that price to Sears and they beat it by 10% and they took away our behemoth projection TV, probably Mike's ol one :)

I disassembled my old one. Had three really nifty lenses, and a snazzy super reflective mirror inside, along with a big Fresnel lens! Ants are on notice!

Back