got ethical husbandry?

Large images

cwolfus

Past President
Since large images don't really fit on the screen in our forums and take up a lot of space I've added some restrictions...

Now, any JPG larger than 640x480 will automatically be resized by 50%. There is now also a limit of 600k per image.

That should be plenty, but I can change it if it is a problem.

testing :D

I guess this is only apply to image that upload into our server??

Photobucket is not effected.
butterfly1.jpg

There was (??) the option to have the image resized but if you click on it it makes it the original size? *shrug*

Ahem... I'll mention this once again all that stuff over there on the left in the light blue area takes up about 20% of the screen with 1280 x 1024

What monitor are you using Eric?

Yah that's right, the big boy club

Gomer said:
It comes down to people uploading 1-5MB images quite frequently ;)
Yeah, I do a bit of post processing with my camera, and it's only 6MP... I try to reduce it to 800x600 unless I really want to keep everything and have it in it's macro goodness.

Gresh, I'm using the Dell 2408wfp monitor as the primary. Secondary wise I use a Sony 27" TV. :D

It allows me to watch videos on the TV and processing on the other. I'll eventually get around to picking up another Dell when I can locate more desk space.

sfsuphysics said:
Ahem... I'll mention this once again all that stuff over there on the left in the light blue area takes up about 20% of the screen with 1280 x 1024

Agreed and it's horrible on my blackberry, so much so that I won't even log on from my phone anymore.

Gomer said:
I'm using the fantabulous Dell 2005fpw. Works beautifully, but wouldn't mind getting something in the 24" range.

My plan/goal is to ditch what I have, get two Cintiq 21UX (21" LCD graphic tablet) and a 30" monitor :)

Roc said:
sfsuphysics said:

Agreed and it's horrible on my blackberry, so much so that I won't even log on from my phone anymore.

There is always some compromise when switching platforms. Overall the change is well recieved. If this is an area that continues to bug you, perhaps you can not just offer complaints but help with solutions :p

mobile friendly is all I can suggest. Back end I am no help at all :lol: sorry.

ROC get Opera mobile if your phone supports it.

Gomer said:
There is always some compromise when switching platforms. Overall the change is well recieved. If this is an area that continues to bug you, perhaps you can not just offer complaints but help with solutions :p
My suggested solution: Remove the side bar menu complete. Have options that are in the side at the top of the screen, in tabs/menus since there are quite a bit. Chat/who's online IMO not that important information, so put that at the bottom of the screen.

Not all of us use fantastically large resolutions, at the very least maybe have multiple options for the preferred setup?

Guys,

We all realize you are not happy with the layout. You have repeatedly informed us that some of you do not use a high resolution displays. Others have noted various problems with mobile browsers. I too no longer surf the forums because of problems with using a mobile browser.

A LOT of volunteer time went into creating what we have and while some things are problematic there are other benefits that are unparalleled by what we used before or the other software we considered. This was most clearly demonstrated with DBTC tracking and the new resources page (once Gresham got access ;) ).

If you actually want to see improvements on these issues, I suggest to approach Pixelpixi directly and do so in a way that shows your respect and appreciation for the large contribution she has made to this club. What you are asking is not trivial and she has already given a lot.

Repeatedly airing this laundry in this manner does little to encourage her, or anyone else, to donate more time to this issue.

I think she did very good job. There is just no pleasing all the masses :)

Back