got ethical husbandry?

Lawrence's first (90g) salt water tank

Right, you can do a fishless cycle. Add ammonium chloride until you get to 2.0 ppm and add some of the bottled bacteria to help speed up the process.

DrTim's Aquatics One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria for Cycling Aquaria, Salt Water, 8-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DVRHMS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bpLFybHD70F8P

I wouldn't get it on Amazon though. I got the same size bottle from @robert4025 at Neptune for 1/2 the price.

So what is the difference between API Quick Start and Dr. Tim's One & Only? I thought they were equivalent products. And we will be partronizing @robert4025 soon. :) We have Neptune on our list to ask about the lighting (weighing DIY vs. Current USA Orbit Marine).

Salinity - ✔️
Canopy replaced with glass - ✔️
Onyx lights by Rapid LED purchased on eBay - ✔️
Husband figured out when the hose bib is on versus off - ✔️
Ammonia added to start nitrite cycle - ✔️

Big week! We might actually put a fish or coral in there soon.

We are still not aligned about the power of the pump, but we'll figure that out as we go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, you can do a fishless cycle. Add ammonium chloride until you get to 2.0 ppm and add some of the bottled bacteria to help speed up the process.

DrTim's Aquatics One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria for Cycling Aquaria, Salt Water, 8-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DVRHMS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bpLFybHD70F8P

I wouldn't get it on Amazon though. I got the same size bottle from @robert4025 at Neptune for 1/2 the price.

Ok added the ammonium chloride a couple days ago-ammonia kicking in at somewhere 2-4 ppm (closer to 2)
So when do I add in the quick start (I have a bottle of API quick start)
Protein skimmer or no? I was reading yes somewhere on starting that up.

TIA
Lawrence

Add the quick start now. It has the bacteria that handles the nitrifying process (converting ammonia->nitrite->nitrate). Protein skimmer will only matter if you have a lot of dead organic matter on your rocks and you want to export that decaying matter faster. If it's dry, dead and already cured rock, protein skimmer probably won't make a difference.

As a point of reference, it took my dry rock (with a lot of dead organic matter on it) to cure/cycle in exactly 31 days w/o bacteria additives.

Add the quick start now. It has the bacteria that handles the nitrifying process (converting ammonia->nitrite->nitrate). Protein skimmer will only matter if you have a lot of dead organic matter on your rocks and you want to export that decaying matter faster. If it's dry, dead and already cured rock, protein skimmer probably won't make a difference.

As a point of reference, it took my dry rock (with a lot of dead organic matter on it) to cure/cycle in exactly 31 days w/o bacteria additives.

Thanks Randy. As to the rock-well it was sitting in water for 3 months doing nothing until we drained it and refilled it and added salt-so it it is possible a lot of organic matter perhaps is coating the rocks?

Thanks Randy. As to the rock-well it was sitting in water for 3 months doing nothing until we drained it and refilled it and added salt-so it it is possible a lot of organic matter perhaps is coating the rocks?

Question, Has the salt mixed well in that water? I think if you added salt over the rock, some might have not dissolved and just ended up in the cavities or spots where water, if you are running a pump, is very weak/dead spot.

I would run the skimmer only if it is brand new, just to get rid of the new skimmer smell :)

I would run the skimmer only if it is brand new, just to get rid of the new skimmer smell :)

Or if you have a husband who is totally fascinated watching a skimmer. I think he is now singing "Tiny Bubbles."

In the meantime, I have been teaching myself about DIY 0-10v potentiometer "dimmer" for the dimmable RapidLED Onyx which will arrive Saturday. We aren't getting the dimmer with the lights.

The couple that solders together stays together.

And if anyone isn't sure how incredible supportive the staff at RapidLED can be, I'm about to start evangelizing. I bought his product used on eBay and Mike spent 10 minutes on the phone with me to make sure we'll get set up right.

That's how I met a really nice guy, won't name him... All he asked was a cup of sand from a healthy system; now his tank is a glass box I envy.

Also, @KensingtonReefer is a really nice guy!

We would love to grab a cup of sand. Or at least I (Betsy) would, if only to peak at another member's thriving tank. We're in Oakland if anyone is offering. Bonus points if we can bring our son along with us.

1835b327aa85c07f6b7edb76f124631e.jpg

Well, hello there. We've been cycling and cycling and cycling. Finally! Progress!

Maybe Betsy will hang the lights.
Maybe Lawrence will pick out the cleanup crew.
Maybe we will let Aiden (3.5yo) pick out the first tank inhabitant.

Dare we dream?

It seems like you've been cycling for so long and you've still got quite a while. When your ammonia is zero then you're getting close.

Not quite a month... which, considering that we let our live rock sit for a year, probably was to be expected. We added some Dr. Tim's to help scootch things along, just after the nitrites started climbing. We were beginning to wonder if it would ever cycle.

Sorry we've been so quiet... we are now two months into our cycle. Ammonia spiked and dropped 2 weeks ago. We figure it could be up to month more before the nitrites do their thing and start to drop. We've read up on different options to push the cycle along, but seems like patience is as good an option as any.

Last edited:
That's a long time for a cycle. Took me about a week to 10 days to cycle with Dr. Tim's. This was using all dead rocks and sand.

If you are ever at Neptune and need a cup of sand, I can hook you up with some from my sand bed. I'm about 10 minutes away from Neptune and you're welcomed to stop by the office.

Are you heating the tank during the cycle? Bacteria will multiply faster with warmer temps (I think 80-82 was what I read was optimal for nitrifying bacteria).

Back