Leaking NPT threaded connection help

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by kinetic, Oct 17, 2017.

1. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

I got a 55g water tank (Ace Roto: https://www.ruralking.com/ace-roto-mold-55-gallon-vertical-dome-top-vt0055-20.html) to hold RO/DI water. It came with a bulkhead with a threaded Female NPT.

I went to Home Depot and got a male NPT to slip converter, and put on a spare union ballhead that I had laying around.

Unfortunately, I have a super slow leak from the threads between bulkhead and the MPT > Slip fitting. It drips probably once every 10 minutes or so. I actually stood there for 10 minutes and didn't see much happen, but I think a new drop of water came off of it, who knows. There's a constant wet spot and I can see a small bit of water collect on the plumbing.

I threaded it as far in as I could. I tried using some plumbers tape, but that didn't work either. Any ideas?

Things I'm thinking of trying
    1. Use plumber cement (is this safe?)
    2. Use silicon on the threads and rethread it in
    3. Replacing the bulkhead with a slip bulkhead instead of threaded (somehow, not sure how I can get my hand all the way into this tank to put it together)

Any other ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

You use some teflon tape? 3 layers?
    I often use "liquid teflon" from hardware store.

3. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

I use silicone on all threaded connections.
    Seals great, and you can take them apart easier.
    BUT:
    Let it dry overnight before getting wet.
    Don't use it if there is a chance you may partially unscrew it. Doing that rips it apart, and you can get a leak.

4. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

I always assumed teflon was for metal threaded fittings? I've used them on PVC before, and people thought I was weird. I have a ton of it left, so maybe I'll try that!

OK that's good to know. I'll try this next if the 3 layers of teflon tape doesn't work.

Last question: is it common for NPT threads like this to leak without silicon/teflon?

5. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Yeah, plumbers paste instead of tape

kinetic likes this.
  6. Yippee

Yippee Supporting Member

I am using Rectorseal T Plus 2. For metal and plastic pipe threads.

kinetic likes this.
  7. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

What both Mikes suggest, just make sure is the safe for drinking water or teflon tape. Do not over tighten or you may break the bulkhead.

kinetic likes this.
  8. iani

iani Guest

Tape will work fine. Make sure you wrap the tape clockwise.

kinetic and Coral reefer like this.
  9. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Supporting Member

I'm a Rectorseal user as well. I've also been told that the Teflon tape isn't meant for PVC pipe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kinetic likes this.
  10. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

Are you sure it is not coming from the barrel? Put the rubber seal on the inside where it belongs?

11. RandyC

RandyC Guest

12. Yippee

Yippee Supporting Member

Formulated for drinking water. T Plus 2 (1).jpg T Plus 2 (2).jpg

Wlachnit and ashburn2k like this.
  13. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

Yes it's not coming from the tank itself. The rubber seal is on the inside already.

Oh good! I'll probably skip Teflon tape and just goto Ace hardware to find RectorSeal.

14. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

That's what I meant by liquid teflon

kinetic likes this.