Our mission

LED actinic light for 70w Sunpod

I have a 70w Sunpod on my 12g aquapod that I really like, but for the longest time I wish to have some actinic light that goes with it without clustering up the top of the small aquapod. Recently I started the LED itch, and thought LED will be the perfect way to go. After quite sometime thinking about it and saw the picture of a one sided design on one of the forum, I came up with this design. Looks simple at the end, but took me a long time to get here (I must be a really slow thinker :bigsmile: ). It basically is a square that slides into leg mounts in the frame, surrounding the window for the MH. It should be very low profile. I will mount 4 Cree 3w XR-E Q5 D315 LEDs on two sides to start with, and potentially increase it to six if the temperature does not get too high (I will not use any fan in order to maintain low profile). Since this is Royal blue actinic, I will only run the driver at 700ma instead of rated 1A full current, and hope this will help on the heating situation. Here are some pictures.

Initial parts before screwing together. LEDs will be mounted on the larger L-shapes.
IMG_4049.jpg

Two sides after screwed together and LED mount holes drilled/tapped. Note the 4 mounting legs on the second picture.
IMG_4053.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

Frame together with splash guards:
IMG_4063.jpg

LPC-20-700 driver which drive at constant 700ma. The driver can probably drive up to 8 LEDs at 700ma.
IMG_4062.jpg

I can probably finish the final mounting/wiring/assembling in one to two hours of time, which I was very attempted to do. But I figure the shiny aluminum will not go very pretty with the black powder painted Sunpod fixture, so I will wait for my other nanocube LED light fixture to come along and anodize both fixtures black to make them look nice before mounting the LEDs. Patient is the key for me :).

Here is the wrap up of the project. The add on is anodized black, so it fits the Sunpod really well. I was going to only put on 4 Cree XR-E royal blue to start with (accordingly to Meanwell doc, it supports constant 700ma current with voltage 3v to 30v, so 4 bulbs SHOULD be no problem). Every time I power it on, some LEDs didn't lit up. I thought I got a bad batch of LEDs, and burnt out 9 LEDs before I figured out that the Meanwell driver was frying them :(. So I ended up with 6 LEDs instead. While the lighting is really good, the fixture gets warmer than I liked it without a fan, so now every time I turn on the LEDs, my Reefkeeper lite also turn on the fan behind it. Every worked out goot at the end (it would be perfect if I did not burn out 9 LEDs).

Here are the pics.

Back