Neptune Aquatics

Led fuge light

Nobody using led spotlight for chaeto? Saw an interesting and cheap one on reefbuilders from aquamedic. 3 one watt bulbs. Think I remember that chaeto likes warmer colors, so maybe just straight white with no blue?

are you looking to save power? or u just want leds???

yes u can use leds to grow in your fuge i did it for awhile it grows a tad slower but it stayed green

I think Screebo tried one but not for long. Not sure if it's the same one you're referring to. The compact flourescents use low wattage and do the trick, what motivates you for LED?

I’ve been using a LED fuge light for about 3 months now. It’s just a screw in 7 watt on a tool bench style clamp. I don’t know the color as it’s made for general indoor use. It came from HD and was about $28 and is rated for 20,000 hours. So far it seems to be doing a great job. No undesirable algae in the sump and no heat issues. There was some die off of the cheato in the beginning but I think it’s because the previous owner had a regular 25 watt bulb in place and the brightness of this new bulb shocked it.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/P1015098.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/P1015100.JPG

wow 7 watts for $28 that's a pretty good price, I know they're getting more and more LED lights now, but they're damn expensive, $50 for a 15w bulb that puts out 1/2 to 1/4 of a 99 cent CFL worth of lighting. Still too damn expensive IMO considering they don't really save energy over CFLs.

GDawson said:
I’ve been using a LED fuge light for about 3 months now. It’s just a screw in 7 watt on a tool bench style clamp. I don’t know the color as it’s made for general indoor use. It came from HD and was about $28 and is rated for 20,000 hours. So far it seems to be doing a great job. No undesirable algae in the sump and no heat issues. There was some die off of the cheato in the beginning but I think it’s because the previous owner had a regular 25 watt bulb in place and the brightness of this new bulb shocked it.

The more I thought about it the more I think the 20,000 hour figure is wrong (getting old!). I think it was more around 12,000 hours.

The light is very uni-directional too so there is very little light spillage behind the tank stand. It was made to replace a spot light or can light.

-Gregory

I saw this the other day while upgrading my reef lighting. http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod-nano-glo.html
Nano-Glo-Lo.jpg

Hmmm, I'm wondering if spotlighting is better than getting a spread, because I do get some algae and coraline growth in the rest of the sump... but does a ball of chaeto grow with light hitting just the middle of it, or does all of the chaeto surface area need light.

yellojello said:
Hmmm, I'm wondering if spotlighting is better than getting a spread, because I do get some algae and coraline growth in the rest of the sump... but does a ball of chaeto grow with light hitting just the middle of it, or does all of the chaeto surface area need light.

It's hard to se in the pic, but my spot is at an angle to illuminate the entire surface area of the sump.When it was a spot straight down I did have die off on the sides.

-Gregory

Back