Cali Kid Corals

Led Lunar/Moon Lighting?

Wanted to know if anyone has a specific brand of led Moon lighting they like? I have 100 gal tank I want to add some led moon lights to my system. Maybe something dimmable?

I have them but they came as a module with my Reefkeeper Elite. They work with the lunar cycle and self dim based on the phase of the moon.

I think the ones that are dimmable and replicate lunar cycles are the ones that can hook up to a controller. Not sure if they sell standalone led's that can do that.

hiepatitis said:
Do you think replicating the lunar cycle really has an effect? I've read that it catylizes spawning events.
That is what I hear. I also hear you can even double the moon rate, and get spawning twice a year.

The question is - do you care that much about spawning events?
Very cool or just a spike in the bio-load?

Don't forget that besides cost/hassle, it means your moonlights will be on / off / in between, which
might reduce your nighttime viewing pleasure.

rygh said:
hiepatitis said:
Do you think replicating the lunar cycle really has an effect? I've read that it catylizes spawning events.
That is what I hear. I also hear you can even double the moon rate, and get spawning twice a year.
But I bet it takes just the right circumstances / coral / tank / etc.

Don't forget that besides cost/hassle, it means your moonlights will be on / off / in between, which

rygh said:
hiepatitis said:

I've heard just the opposite from coral researchers and IME of using lunar cycles for many years prior to giving up on that concept. You hearing this from hobbyists?

Old reef books use to reference the lunar cycle and of course people selling controllers. I have never seen one report stating the lunar cycle has effected corals. Doesn't hurt though and I think it looks cool.

I believe current thought is temp swings. Something hard to replicate in a tank.

I know there is some current research trying to examine if the corals themselves release some chemical to signal spawning against some internal clock. I think this came from witnessing corals in places of very low density that don't spawn. It is a good hypothesis as wasting energy to produce eggs and sperm when your the only coral in the area seems wasteful.

It sure was touted as the "thing" years back, but as we have learned more it sure has gone to the wayside.

Seems water changes spur the largest amount of reported coral spawnings in captivity from reviewing the topic over the years.

GreshamH said:
rygh said:
hiepatitis said:

I've heard just the opposite from coral researchers and IME of using lunar cycles for many years prior to giving up on that concept. You hearing this from hobbyists?

Old memory. I think the book was "Book of Coral Propagation", but not really sure. Long time ago, loaner.
Also a few threads on various forums from hobbyists. Decent of data on how to do it, and some programs.
But almost no data on success/failure.

BOCP did have a little on it, as it TRA. One of Tyree's books had the best chapter on it. But none actually had hard data on success. 12 years ago I wanted to start making dimmable moonlights to mimic this and I did a TON of research back then.

Back