got ethical husbandry?

LED options for 48X31x20 tank

Coral reefer said:
If you are considering AI, look at the kit rapid led has. Straight ripping of the sol blue for like 60% the cost. You could do like 6 of those and have crazy coverage.

Again, my worry is to figure out if it will look good. I don't know yet. Not sure if I can take the risk, I need to order tomorrow morning.

This tank is going to go in my living room which is the main room and I can't have bad looking stuff so I'm really confused to say the least.

The RapidLED light does look a lot like the AI Sol. It does lack the control capabilities of the AI unit. If I understood the guys at the last meet correctly, it's an all on system.

RL:

What's the rush? You don't have a tank yet, do you? Remember the mantra of fishkeeping, "Nothing good happens fast"!

Depending on the look you are going for, all these commercial units would work. It really matters what you want.

Check out the AI web pages for pics. They have an extensive hanging system, including a rail that is attached to the stand and supports the lights while hiding the wires. Very sleek.

Another option is something like the tray system at Neptune. I know you are not a Neptune fan (no need to start that again!), but they do have a nice system for hiding the lights with a minimalist look. It could easily be customized to match any stand.

Another place to look for ideas is the ADA system (Aqua Design Amano). A google/youtube search will reveal many examples. Aqua Forest Aquarium (on Fillmore in The City), has several display tanks.

ReefLove said:
.... I need to order tomorrow morning ...
.... I'm really confused to say the least.

That is a difficult combination. I suggest you wait, think it through, decide exactly what you want.

I doubt you need lights any time soon.
It will take a while to get the new tank, then you will want to cycle it without lights for a month or so.
No hurries.

aqua-nut said:
The RapidLED light does look a lot like the AI Sol. It does lack the control capabilities of the AI unit. If I understood the guys at the last meet correctly, it's an all on system.

RL:

What's the rush? You don't have a tank yet, do you? Remember the mantra of fishkeeping, "Nothing good happens fast"!

Depending on the look you are going for, all these commercial units would work. It really matters what you want.

Check out the AI web pages for pics. They have an extensive hanging system, including a rail that is attached to the stand and supports the lights while hiding the wires. Very sleek.

Another option is something like the tray system at Neptune. I know you are not a Neptune fan (no need to start that again!), but they do have a nice system for hiding the lights with a minimalist look. It could easily be customized to match any stand.

Another place to look for ideas is the ADA system (Aqua Design Amano). A google/youtube search will reveal many examples. Aqua Forest Aquarium (on Fillmore in The City), has several display tanks.

Ugh, the AI hanging bar is rather ugly, and bends over any decent length.... I'd steer clear of that system and go with 80/20.

Correct me if I am wrong, but ADA only makes a lower kelvin LED that does not peak all that much in areas we want for corals: http://www.adana.co.jp/en/products/na_lightning/aquasky/ 7000K

It's official.

I just ordered Elos 120 XL with white stand. Just tank and stand. I will customize rest of the system.

I was hurrying to know LEDs options so I'm sure before ordering system with 31" depth. And yes, I'm going to keep it running for 2 whole months and meanwhile make sure my pair of clowns are well into 8th week when I put them into tank. :).

http://elosusa.com/store/product/143/pool-120xl-aquarium-only

Thanks for your help guys. Yes, I have 2 months to order the lights. I will get my tank in a week or so around 1st Feb. fingers crossed :)

ReefLove said:
It's official.

I just ordered Elos 120 XL with white stand. Just tank and stand. I will customize rest of the system.

I was hurrying to know LEDs options so I'm sure before ordering system with 31" depth. And yes, I'm going to keep it running for 2 whole months and meanwhile make sure my pair of clowns are well into 8th week when I put them into tank. :).

Thanks for your help guys. Yes, I have 2 months to order the lights. I will get my tank in a week or so around 1st Feb. fingers crossed :)
Pretty tank. Wish I could afford that. :p :)

BAYMAC said:
aqua-nut said:

RL:

Ugh, the AI hanging bar is rather ugly, and bends over any decent length.... I'd steer clear of that system and go with 80/20.

Correct me if I am wrong, but ADA only makes a lower kelvin LED that does not peak all that much in areas we want for corals: http://www.adana.co.jp/en/products/na_lightning/aquasky/ 7000K

You lost me there. What is 80/20? Edit: Never mind. A little Google and I'm good, Duh!

I was referring to the AI EXT rail system. Attaches to the back of the stand. I've no direct experience, it just looks neat.

My suggestion for AFA or ADA tanks was to see different hanging systems, not necessarily the lights themselves. Since AFA is all FW planted tanks, the spectrum is all wrong - unless you want a Macro Algae / sea grass tank! There are not many public places to see aquariums set up for maximum display. We need an 'Ikea like' showroom!
;)

denzil said:
ReefLove said:
It's official.

Pretty tank. Wish I could afford that. :p :)

Not sure if I could afford it either. LOL

I'd go with a couple of the Maxspect Razors (160W versions), they're only 11 inches deep so you can get 2 side by side across that tank no problem. They're also super thin (about an inch thick) so they won't be an eye sore. And they have built in controllers/timers. Plus they have legs to mount on an open rim tank, or they have Y-hangers if you want to hang them from the ceiling with no legs. About $500 a piece.

Actually I'd probably go with 1 of them at first, just to see if it's enough light for your needs, it won't be as bright near the front as the the center, but then again I think people over do it with putting corals that close to the front of tank anyways. You could always buy another if you felt you wanted/needed more light.

sfsuphysics said:
I'd go with a couple of the Maxspect Razors (160W versions), they're only 11 inches deep so you can get 2 side by side across that tank no problem. They're also super thin (about an inch thick) so they won't be an eye sore. And they have built in controllers/timers. Plus they have legs to mount on an open rim tank, or they have Y-hangers if you want to hang them from the ceiling with no legs. About $500 a piece.

Actually I'd probably go with 1 of them at first, just to see if it's enough light for your needs, it won't be as bright near the front as the the center, but then again I think people over do it with putting corals that close to the front of tank anyways. You could always buy another if you felt you wanted/needed more light.

It's 48 length. So I think I might need two, but I like the look of it. It's very Slick.

sfsuphysics said:

I did more research on the maxspect, what I came to know is that even at 11 in width, it drops par at 100-200 so for 31" depth, half the tank wouldn't be lit. The question is, are all LEDS are same? It give 300-400 par reading only in about 2 inches circle from the center. Check out the image with green and blue circle for PARs.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=25292

ReefLove said:
I did more research on the maxspect, what I came to know is that even at 11 in width, it drops par at 100-200 so for 31" depth, half the tank wouldn't be lit. The question is, are all LEDS are same? It give 300-400 par reading only in about 2 inches circle from the center. Check out the image with green and blue circle for PARs.
First bit of advice, don't go chasing numbers. Unless you want to grow the highest light required animals and put them on the bottom of your tank near the front you'll be fine. You're not going to get the same output everywhere.

Second, your light isn't going to go to zero, will it be less? yes. but you'll still have light. I suggested one, simply so you can see how bright that it'll be, if it's adequate light for you. If all you have on the bottom of the tank is sand why do you care about how bright the light is there? Humans are really bad at judging between tiny variations of brightness so while the middle might look bright than the outside, you're not going to see a drop off in light when you're 20" vs 24" away. If you don't have enough light, then buy another fixture.

And no LEDs are not all the same.

sfsuphysics said:
ReefLove said:
First bit of advice, don't go chasing numbers. Unless you want to grow the highest light required animals and put them on the bottom of your tank near the front you'll be fine. You're not going to get the same output everywhere.

Second, your light isn't going to go to zero, will it be less? yes. but you'll still have light. I suggested one, simply so you can see how bright that it'll be, if it's adequate light for you. If all you have on the bottom of the tank is sand why do you care about how bright the light is there? Humans are really bad at judging between tiny variations of brightness so while the middle might look bright than the outside, you're not going to see a drop off in light when you're 20" vs 24" away. If you don't have enough light, then buy another fixture.

And no LEDs are not all the same.

It's not about the bottom, it looks like that graph is at the top of the water not the bottom. And yes when I purchase I want to make sure to buy it keeping in mind that I might want to keep highest light requirement corals, may be I might not but I would buy LED keeping that in mind that I might want to.

Please note that the problem here is 31" depth and not length(48) or height(20). I don't see any problem at the bottom of the tank because its only 20" in height and 2" sand bed would leave it 18" which should not be a problem at all.

I like how it looks.

And yes when I purchase I want to make sure to buy it keeping in mind that I might want to keep highest light requirement corals
But do you want to purchase your LEDs such that you can grow the highest light of corals... ANYWHERE IN YOUR TANK. Most people do not put corals close to the front glass, not only does it make lighting harder, but also it's very impractical for cleaning the glass there.

I suggested buying one why? Because if you find it's not enough... you can buy ANOTHER, and moving one over so that 2 fit front to back over your tank won't be a huge chore. The price on LEDs isn't going to go through the roof, so you're not saving anything by forcing a buy right now of anything you might want. In fact as you start you're more likely than not going to have your corals on the rock work which hopefully you won't cram against the front, and in time if you find you need more light, you buy another, and bam. Problem solved.

I understand your 31" width of the tank, I know a little something about wide tanks and how to light them. I simply offered one possible solution to your query and gave you the justification for what I said. If you want to buy 2 or 3 or 4 now by all means go for it, I simply wouldn't do it because of the mounting options available the position of your lights isn't set in stone so you can add more later if you feel it's necessary.

sfsuphysics said:
And yes when I purchase I want to make sure to buy it keeping in mind that I might want to keep highest light requirement corals
But do you want to purchase your LEDs such that you can grow the highest light of corals... ANYWHERE IN YOUR TANK. Most people do not put corals close to the front glass, not only does it make lighting harder, but also it's very impractical for cleaning the glass there.

I suggested buying one why? Because if you find it's not enough... you can buy ANOTHER, and moving one over so that 2 fit front to back over your tank won't be a huge chore. The price on LEDs isn't going to go through the roof, so you're not saving anything by forcing a buy right now of anything you might want. In fact as you start you're more likely than not going to have your corals on the rock work which hopefully you won't cram against the front, and in time if you find you need more light, you buy another, and bam. Problem solved.

I understand your 31" width of the tank, I know a little something about wide tanks and how to light them. I simply offered one possible solution to your query and gave you the justification for what I said. If you want to buy 2 or 3 or 4 now by all means go for it, I simply wouldn't do it because of the mounting options available the position of your lights isn't set in stone so you can add more later if you feel it's necessary.

Hey mike, I get your point. I got wide tank because i wanted to go For a lagoon kind of look, that said 11 inches range of 100 par is too less when you consider 31" depth it's just third of the tank everything else would be dark. Trust me I understand what you are saying. I wish there would be a way I could get some options to try before I purchase.

"What's the rush? You don't have a tank yet, do you? Remember the mantra of fishkeeping, "Nothing good happens fast"!"

Please tell my wife this, who is wondering why the 180g tank I bought almost 2 years ago is still in the garage.

No wait, don't tell her that. In fact, don't ever mention it!

V

Back