LED Q&A thread

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Gomer, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

You can drill and tap the heatsink pretty easily if you have access to a manual mill. I wouldn't tackle it with a drill press.
    That said, even with mill access, I'd be highly tempted to use these: http://www.luxeonstar.com/Pre-Cut-Thermal-Tape-for-20mm-hex-Bases-12-p/lxt-s-12.htm

2. LordHelmet

LordHelmet Supporting Member

Tony,
    I have an off the wall question, I'm not very tech savvy so bare with me.
    On my last trip to Lowes I saw that they have LED screw in bulbs like the ones by sunbrite. a screw in socket, heat sink fins and 3, 5 or 9 LED depending upon how bright you want it to be. Now the packaging says they are only 2700k, but they 9 LED light is only $60. Is it possible to order up some blue and white LED's and remove the yellow ones and have a nice semi DIY LED for around $100? or is this not possible?

like I said, I was just thinking.

3. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

TEchnically yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you are coming around $100 for a screw in modified, I'd just pay a little more and do it right for $119 http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?cPath=74&products_id=623

Likely the HD one uses inferior LEDs

4. LordHelmet

LordHelmet Supporting Member

cool, thats all I wanted to know.

5. yardartist

yardartist Guest

That's what I am looking for Tony, thanks. I need this project to have fewer and fewer barriers for my limited skill with electrical projects.

6. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

And most likely inferior power sources, so you wouldn't get that CREE level of output.

Also wouldn't surprised me if the LEDs are attached to a single circuit panel, so good luck getting those stars to hook up to that.

7. sfsuphysics

Question: Is there any issue with these "adhesive pads" being too thick? The thing with thermal adhesive is you can use a flat surface (razor blade, etc) to put a micro amount on, but still have awesome thermal contact to pull heat away, I'd be a tad worried these pads would be too thick and as such "overclocking" your LEDs might be problematic. Or am I just worrying too much.

8. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I'd buy it from the source, www.nanocustoms.com since they are in Cali (Thousand oaks)
    http://www.nanocustoms.com/index.php?cPath=30

9. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

Mike, I wouldn't use the thermal pads at 1 amp, but I'd use them at 700 mA and lower (just a feeling)

10. newhobby

newhobby Guest

I would think that the only problem with epoxy or tape is that if you change your mind in the future, like I did, you are most likely looking at breaking that star to take it off.
    In my case, since I used screws, I can easily pop it off and replace with different color now. :)
    My 2 cents

11. Marc

Marc Guest

Is there an LED hitting close to 10,000k or maybe I should ask whats a good mix to get that color?

12. sfsuphysics

Ok now that school is over I have some time to work again... ok not true I have a stack of papers to read through and grade, BUT I felt a bit like procrastinating (kind of like my students who wait until the last moment to do homework :p)....

Anyways here's a sneak peak...

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/LEDs.JPG

13. Marc

Marc Guest

That looks like a car with MH on....sweet! more pics man!

14. sfsuphysics

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/10614

This thread since it's less of a Q&A and more of a Look at what I did.

15. sendo

sendo Guest

Hey Gomer,

Wanted to get an update on your SPS growth under the LEDs. Are they still bleached/browning out? I have read that some of the easier sps, like green slimers, do well under LED. Curious to see how more demanding corals fair.

16. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

dropped the light intensity in a few stages and the weren't bleached by the end, but they were brown. Corals that didn't bleach browned. Those that were colorful under the high light stage, stayed colorful under the lower light stage.

green SPS did well. red did ok and blue did poor.

17. sendo

sendo Guest

Do you think it is light shock, or something with the spectrum of LEDs?

18. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

The bleaching was shock+ intensity, but that was only on certain corals. I had some SPS that were off to the sides. I had one that was in two locations (light intensities) and they never showed any signs of bleaching. Having run the LEDs for several months on SPS, I'm leaning towards spectrum.

19. sendo

sendo Guest

I want to upgrade the lighting on my tank and was thinking of building an LED fixture like yours, but I guess I will have to stick with MH for now. The LEDs sure look bright enough to grow anything. I read somewhere that LEDs don't put off any UV, but no one knows if corals need UV or not.

20. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

before you take my experience as the end all, I would check in with others and see what works and doesn't work for them :)