Kessil

LED question

JRocha

Supporting Member
So right now I have 2 36" ATI power modules that are 8 x 39 watt T5s. So with that said I was thinking about getting 3 kessil A150W LED pendants to create the shimmer effect. My question to whom ever may know is if this will be enough LED lighting to create the shimmer effect with so much T5 lighting? I'm affraid that the T5s will drown out the LEDs.

You should save yourself some moeny and go with Reefbrite fixtures? How big is your tank? The Kessil's dont have a very large lighting radius from what Ive seen. Reefbrites are great! Ive set up alot tanks with them they project shimmer on a very large area just something to think anout.

But in regards to the washout factor, I think three should be good...

the tank is 240 gallons 96x24x24. there are three braces I am planning to center the lights over. I was thinking of getting the ocean blue 15k kessils. I haven't had the chance to see the reefbrites in action and I like the kessils cause they have a small footprint. Also they are gonna be right under the ATI power modules so the lights need to be small so I don't get any shadowing. I was planning on 3 to start off then if it is not enough I would add 2 more.

looked into the reef brites and I found some 72" strips for 362 a piece. question is how many LEDs does the 72" have? This might actually be enough if I bought 2 and that would be less than 3 kessils.

JRocha said:
looked into the reef brites and I found some 72" strips for 362 a piece. question is how many LEDs does the 72" have? This might actually be enough if I bought 2 and that would be less than 3 kessils.

Yea, that sounds like a great idea! I just set-up a 350 gallon with 4 x 48" strips and I could honestly get away with two there so bright! I think there is 36 leds per 72" strip. Robert a Neptune had some a while back.

Thanks guys I ordered 2 48" high power ones so we'll see what they can do. hopefully the extra LEDs will help. My ATIs are so damn bright I just hope this will work. And thanks Mike I will just wait and hopefully be pleasantly surprised when I add them. I am thinking about making some sort of bracket to elevate them from the tank about 2 inches. The tank is a closed top so not too worried about salt water getting on them. I'm gonna take before and after pics just for fun, and for anybody else that wants to get the shimmer effect with ATI power modules.

Back