Cali Kid Corals

LED time for me?

Coral reefer

Past President
I'm thinking of getting either an AI sol super blue or an ecoxotic cannon. They are both similar in price, and I am thinking of replacing one of the 150 hqi on my 4x2x2 with one off these. Maybe it will be an easier transition doing just one at a time, easier on my wallet, that's for sure! I'm wondering if anybody has experience with either of these lights, and or if people thing they will do a good job footprint wise for basically 2x2x2 area? I like the AI SOL super blue because if I went with two of those (eventually I would likely not need my current reefbrite for blue supplementation and could use it for another tank, whereas if i went with two cannons 12000k color I'd likely still use it.
I think I've heard/read that the AI modules should be one per foot? Is this a real practical guideline, or can I get by with one over half my tank, and what do you thing two would be like over the whole thing?

Hey Mike, over on RC there are many reports of AI owners using one module per 2'x2' area, typically you'll have to hang them a little higher (around 8-12" above the water surface). I just put up 2 modules over my 36"x18" last week, and have no dark spots.

A reefer in Richmond has a 90g tank, also 4 foot long but only 18" wide, who installed only 2 modules on the tank. She mentioned that there was some shadowing and a couple small dark spots, but is overall pleased with the look. Her build thread with the lights is here:
http://www.norcalreefclub.com/index.php?/topic/3426-kellypugs-90g-oceanic/

Thanks for the reply David. I think I'm going to go look at one at aquatic collection soon. I really have wanted to do it for awhile, and have been zeroing in on what I wanted to go with... I think a couple cannons would look pretty sleek and cool, but if I try the AI and it looks good over half my tank I may be able to sell my halides, and use my reef brute for something else, so that's almost like enough money to buy a second one.

Back